New RAM 2500 SLT crew cab 4x4 8 foot bed Hemi 6.4 possible mistake

asplus

Pulling Elkridge 29RKSA dry weight is 9700 bought Ram 2500 SLT with crew cab 4x4 long bed...6.4 V* Hemi gas..to tow. Think this might be an overkill we were talked into. Old tow vehicle was Chev Duramax extended cab long bed diesel. Was great towing for 10 years 17,000 Hitchhiker. Found after purchase the Heartland could be towed with 6 foot bed with new designs. Turn ratio really bad on new RAM with extended length. Also fuel not towing 17 mpg...6.5 towing. Thinking of

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
asplus, the dry weight is a non-factor. What does it weight loaded for travel?? A Hemi is a good strong engine...but, the MPG will kill you. You would have saved money in the long run with a Cummin's.

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
Pulling Elkridge 29RKSA dry weight is 9700 bought Ram 2500 SLT with crew cab 4x4 long bed...6.4 V* Hemi gas..to tow. Think this might be an overkill we were talked into. Old tow vehicle was Chev Duramax extended cab long bed diesel. Was great towing for 10 years 17,000 Hitchhiker. Found after purchase the Heartland could be towed with 6 foot bed with new designs. Turn ratio really bad on new RAM with extended length. Also fuel not towing 17 mpg...6.5 towing. Thinking of

The Hemi is a great engine. We have it in our Grand Cherokee with the 8 speed auto and it gets up and goes. The only issue I see is that it generates most of it's power at high RPMs meaning poor gas mileage and more wear and tear on the engine. Also what transmission did it come with? The transmission in many cases is just as important as the engine.

'Lil Guy'

Trouble with the gas engine is the HP (power band) is in the upper RPM's. Not a good combp for pulling a heavier rig. I pulloed our 1st NT21 FBS with our hemi and the downshifting in the hills and mountains drove me crazy.