We are picking up our 2011 North Trail 26lrss tommorrow

Lucky828

We are getting our first travel trailer tomorrow. I'm sure many questions will come with it. I'm glad there are so many answers here.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Congrats! Many of us started the exact same way, so don't be shy with questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'Lil Guy'

Congrats on your new NT from Heartland. Welcome to the forum and the Heartland family. Don't be shy. We like to hear about your trips and modifications also. Do yourself a favor and do a good walk thru at the dealer with everything hooked up including the water. The little problems you run into can be easily fixed at that time. Make yourself a checklist till you get completely used to it for hookup and setup. Little things like forgetting to lower your antennae, closing the stairs, and retracting the rear stabilizers before departure. That's just a few. Also, you might want to invest in a surge protector now. Great investment.
Enjoy your new rig and hope to see you down the road.

Lucky828

Thank You all, Its suppose to be a 4 hour walk around today. Learning how to use equipment and checking it works properly. A surge protector is on the list now. If there are any you would recommend, please do.

jbeletti

Hey Lucky - congrats on the North Trail! Consider joining us at the MI rally in the UP this year.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
With my NT, I used the progressive surge protector. It comes with a great warranty.

X2 on the progressive.
hardwired in makes it easy to use and never forget to use it.
EMS HW30C for the 30 amp service
or
EMS HW50C for those that use 50 amps.

AAdams

Congrats on the new North Trail. As far as the surge protector I think most here will recommend the one from Progressive Industries. There are 30A or 50A units that portable or ones that are hardwired in to the trailer. Both types work equally and can be purchased at several places like PPL Motor Homes, Tweety's, Dryers, etc.

Enjoy the new unit,

Safe travels,
Alan

Thank You all, Its suppose to be a 4 hour walk around today. Learning how to use equipment and checking it works properly. A surge protector is on the list now. If there are any you would recommend, please do.

Congrats! We have the 26lrss 2016 model and are loving it. A couple little things had to be tweeked but that seems to be normal. Happy travels��

Last edited:

Lucky828

Congrats! We have the 26lrss 2016 model and are loving it. A couple little things had to be tweeked but that seems to be normal. Happy travels😀

Thanks Ray and AAdam, We are pulling our NT with a Hemi Durango, it passes everything but a gas station. we plan to camp close to home for now so it's fine. we are talking Rig upgrade in few years.

MarkG

We are going to look at a new 2015 26LRSS today. How do you like yours so far? Are there any problems you have had that we should be looking for at the dealer? We'll be pulling it with an 03' Ram 1500 QC Hemi 3.92. I have pulled a 5000 pulled trailer and had not problems. This one is about 1000 pounds heavier. Thanks!

Mark

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
From a fellow (and former) Michiganderer . . . welcome to the Heartland family!

We were born in Michigan (Jackson), but now call Colorado home (been here 20 years)!

You will love your new Heartland RV . . . feel free to ask us ANYTHING!

We are currently on our second Heartland RV in three years . . . and have loved them both!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We are going to look at a new 2015 26LRSS today. How do you like yours so far? Are there any problems you have had that we should be looking for at the dealer? We'll be pulling it with an 03' Ram 1500 QC Hemi 3.92. I have pulled a 5000 pulled trailer and had not problems. This one is about 1000 pounds heavier. Thanks!

Mark

We had a 2013 Heartland Trail Runner that weighed in at 7040 pounds when empty, and our 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 couldn't handle it!

Putting that in plain english . . . it could pull it . . . but couldn't stop it!

We have since upgraded from the Dodge 1500 to a Chevy 2500HD, which made that Trail Runner feel like a utility trailer . . .

And have since also upgraded from a bumper-pull to a 5th-wheeler!

When trying to get a good mix between what you can pull versus what you can stop . . . the latter (what you can stop) is the most important number!

And I know from experience (if you ask, I'll tell you the true story).

Lucky828

Mark
Hi Mark, we love our NT, its perfect for us and a couple grandkids. If you look somewhere around the rear door screen or frame ,there is a yellow sticker with the empty weight of the trailer as it weighed at the factory. Ours is 6200 lbs. empty. so I'm guessing we are around 7200 lbs. loaded. The Durango is 7800 lbs. max tow capacity so we are close. Its fine on the flatland to camp close to home. but I wouldn't t take it trough the Smoky Mountains. We have already talked about a 3/4 ton to replace it when its time, till then plenty of places close to home.