More Storage Under the Sink Cyclone 3010

Jimsryker

I had seen a post about this some time ago and as my trip approaches, I decided to mimic it as well to maximize space. I removed the doors for greater access and began my work. It was not easy as the opening is narrow and I am not. Plus, you have to extend out past your center of gravity so the back did not like it. The whole reason for posting this here is the "hind sight" moment I had about half way through the project. If you have a cyclone 3010, you know that silly partition they put up excludes you from a lot of space. I pulled the doors, the plumbing and then the partition and all the thin veneer they put down and exposed the framing underneath. I then replicated it with some poplar wood to provide support all the way back to the exterior wall. I had some matching veneer that was left over from a warrantee repair and I planned to extend it all the way back to the wall.

Here is the "ah ha" moment. In hind sight, I would just remove all the existing framing and expose the flooring underneath. It's the same vinyl throughout the kitchen/living room and it would have gave me an approx. 2.2 additional sq. feet that is now non-useable under this "platform" I built to mimic the existing. I realized it after I had completed the frame and cut my veneer to size. Oh well, I went ahead and finished it. My advice. Save time, money and add some space and just pull the existing platform and add some shelves.

My final addition was to add a battery powered motion sensitive LED light bar. Now when I open the door and reach in, it lights up the whole area. Here are some pix to flush out the explanation....

Frame work.jpg More Frame Work.jpg

Finished.jpg More Finished.jpg

Garypowell

I do the same thing sometimes that I get halfway through a project and realize I could have done something different to make it better.....but that's life.

One thought to to get more space would be to build a "balcony" around the exterior walls. With this you get some extra storage space but don't lose the ability to see what is on the lower shelf.

I am sure the nice sub floor structure you built could support the pillars to hold up an outer rim second shelf.

szewczyk_john

I did the same project after seeing it on Duane's mod thread. There is alot of room there but I suggest that you put a divider of some sort between your new space and the drawers on the right side. The way you have it, things could end up falling under the drawers or things could shift once you pull out a draw and prevent the drawer from closing. I didn't worry about matching since it is an interior cabinet but I used some tongue and groove pine siding left over from a home remodeling project.

Jimsryker

One thought to to get more space would be to build a "balcony" around the exterior walls.

I am sure the nice sub floor structure you built could support the pillars to hold up an outer rim second shelf.

That's a good idea, thank you. I'll have to implement after out trip.

Jimsryker

I did the same project after seeing it on Duane's mod thread. There is alot of room there but I suggest that you put a divider of some sort between your new space and the drawers on the right side.

Yes, that was what I used the old partition for. I had to trim it up a bit to fit, but it looks very finished. Like it was meant to be there. I was very proud of the work I did until I looked at some of the "Similar Threads" down below. Talk about humble pie! :). I need to learn how to work with pex so I could have re-routed those water lines. At any rate, it's an improvement and we have some more space for storage now.

TX_Clay

Can you shoot a picture of your cabinets. I have a 3010, but, I am thinking we have a different cabinet pattern than you do.

Jimsryker

Can you shoot a picture of your cabinets. I have a 3010, but, I am thinking we have a different cabinet pattern than you do.

Actually out on the road now. Forgive the clutter.... :)

image.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    793.2 KB · Views: 94
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    775.5 KB · Views: 76

porthole

Retired
Nice way to finish off the cabinet.

I started by removing the partition.
Then adding the sub floor framing and finishing it similar to yours
Then removing the new section and reinforcing the original front section (sagging under a bottle of Dawn) and putting it all back
Then somewhere along the line, added a knife storage panel to the door
Then a LED light strip with a contact switch on the door for light in the new found cavern of space
Then removing all the new stuff and leaving the original. The "now new" recess section worked better for keeping stuff in place
Then re-routing the water lines
Then adding a side to side partition to keep thinks like platters, trays etc. organized
And finally by finishing off the framing alongside the drawers to do as John suggested.

Good thing we have had the trailer for going on 6 seasons..............

1st change, just removing divider

Cabinet - drawer panel