Residential refrigerator

osims

bsims
We are on our second trip with our new Bighorn, bought it about a month ago. I was a little skeptical about the residential refrigerator at first but now that we have used it I love it. Anybody that is thinking about purchasing a new unit should really consider it, we went from a 9 cubic foot refer in our 09 Landmark to the 22 cubic foot in the new Bighorn, what a difference .

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We will be taking out our double door Norcold next year and replacing with a residential...can't wait!! :)

branson4020

Icantre Member
Residential is not for everyone. My solar/battery setup would not support that for the 3-5 days we sometimes boondock.

kakampers

Residential is not for everyone. My solar/battery setup would not support that for the 3-5 days we sometimes boondock.

We have solar too, but will be adding 6 AGM 6 Volts, 3000 watt inverter and we have a 5500 Onan for backup....boondocking won't be a problem....

AAdams

We went from a 12 cu ft in the last 2 rigs to the res refer in the new BH. There is SO much more room.

scottyb

We have solar too, but will be adding 6 AGM 6 Volts, 3000 watt inverter and we have a 5500 Onan for backup....boondocking won't be a problem....

+1. Very nice upgrade. Since you have a generator, where will you be mounting them? I think you need a min of 4 6V, or their equivalent, and a supplemental power source (solar or generator) to successfully boondock with a residential fridge.

kakampers

We already have the panels on the roof...we plan on putting the batteries next to the generator. The good thing about AGM, they can be mounted just about anyway...even on their side... May stack them on their side two wide, three high. They don't outgas so we can even mount the inverter on the back wall in the compartment. All depends on what we end up buying...

OEFVET

I have 4 GC-2's in my Cyclone as well. I wanted to double the capacity just in case. Generator is the other backup. Now that we have the residential fridge we would not give it up. It is a really nice option. But not for everyone.

ndmac

We are on our second trip with our new Bighorn, bought it about a month ago. I was a little skeptical about the residential refrigerator at first but now that we have used it I love it. Anybody that is thinking about purchasing a new unit should really consider it, we went from a 9 cubic foot refer in our 09 Landmark to the 22 cubic foot in the new Bighorn, what a difference .

Agree 100% very nice option. Ice maker/Water very cool now that we have stayed in it for 3 months! Never go back!

Possum51

I am at Heartland and the techs here are telling me all I should b able to travel a day is 150 miles a day before the inventor shuts down. I can't believe this statement! Please let me know how long your inverter works while u are traveling? I have the residential refrigerator

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
I am at Heartland and the techs here are telling me all I should b able to travel a day is 150 miles a day before the inventor shuts down. I can't believe this statement! Please let me know how long your inverter works while u are traveling? I have the residential refrigerator

We just came back from a long trip where we went up to 8 hours on the road for a couple of days (average was 6 hours a day) and between batteries and the truck (we have two alternators) we had no issues at all. Actually in the first leg of the trip our battery charger breaker popped and we did not know it. Our batteries were dead and even then the inverter ran marginally meaning the truck almost could supply enough power to run the inverter. Refrigerator (Samsung RF197) was on about 75% of the time (truck was charging dead batteries and running the inverter). Our Ashland has two 120 amp/hour batteries and as I stated an extra alternator and battery on the truck so that might be what allows us to travel long distances.

justafordguy

It seems like the truck can keep the batteries charged, my batteries are always still fully charged when I arrive. I think letting the fridge get cold while still on shore power makes a big difference because then it doesn't have to run much to keep cool while on battery/inverter.

danemayer

Pat,

This is clearly wrong. Call Tom Montague, the Landmark General Manager. I'm sure that's not the number he's expecting and he'll be your advocate to get the techs correct information and help to figure out what's wrong.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Pat,

We travelled two12 hour days in our Landmark and the fridge and inverter stayed on the whole time and the batteries never got low. Someone is feeding you a whole lot of hooey!

Rod

Bones

We traveled for 11 hours with stops and the battery never dropped below 2/3's I started at 2/3's for the trip

EPaulikonis

I have the same rig as you. There was an issue with software running the inverter when we first picked the unit up. Inverter would not carry the load of the refrigerator at all. It would trip off in less than 5 minutes every time. Since we've had the same inverter with new software on the rig, we've had no issue with battery or inverter performance. I've run the rig from Dayton, OH to southern Georgia in a single day without incident. Ran the propane generator at the rest stop when we got in, ate some dinner, shut off the generator and went to bed until morning...refrigerator ran fine the entire time. Got up the following morning and finished off a 4-hour drive to Daytona Beach, FL without incident.

Possum51

Thanks for replying Rod. We just left the Goshen rally and our next stop is your rally in
Washington. I just don't see how we can make that long trip with this thing shutting off all the time! We traveled 186 miles after we left yesterday now the batteries are dead again and the fridge is off. Don't know what to do since the techs just throw up their hands with it. I am going to call Tom Montaque at Heartland this morning and see if he will help me. Guess we will turn around and go back today if he will. I intend to show him all these replies from people who are traveling a lot more than 150 miles. I had one of the techs tell me I could buy one of those 12 volt ice chests and put my food in it when the fridge dies. I almost exploded when he said that! This coach is 6 months old and we paid $80,000 for it!!! And you want me to use an ice chest!! Its a wonder I could hold it together yesterday!