Help streaming from phone to TV

ManDak

I have a[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]microUSB-to-HDMI/USB cable and want to connect my phone to the TV to watch online TV and netflix. I tried to connect my cord to the TV through the USB port on the entertainment console but that didn't work. So, I am assuming that I will have to find the HDMI port on the back of the TV to hook it up? Just wondering if there are any suggestions on how to stream from my phone to the TV the easiest. I have a chrome cast at home but from what I researched that will not work as we do not have a router/wifi in the RV. I just didn't want to monkey with trying to get behind the TV if there was an easier way to do it. It is the Jensen Audio system that we have in our Sundance. If I plug into the HDMI on the TV will I still have sound through the interior RV speakers?

Sorry, probably a simple question but I'm getting more tech challenged as I get older and can't keep up.
[/FONT]

DocFather

I have amicroUSB-to-HDMI/USB cable and want to connect my phone to the TV to watch online TV and netflix. I tried to connect my cord to the TV through the USB port on the entertainment console but that didn't work. So, I am assuming that I will have to find the HDMI port on the back of the TV to hook it up? Just wondering if there are any suggestions on how to stream from my phone to the TV the easiest. I have a chrome cast at home but from what I researched that will not work as we do not have a router/wifi in the RV. I just didn't want to monkey with trying to get behind the TV if there was an easier way to do it. It is the Jensen Audio system that we have in our Sundance. If I plug into the HDMI on the TV will I still have sound through the interior RV speakers?

Sorry, probably a simple question but I'm getting more tech challenged as I get older and can't keep up.

Maybe try a Bluetooth connection

ManDak

So, is it as simple as pressing the bluetooth button on the system and then pairing it with my phone? :) LOL... I hope it will be that simple. Me and bluetooth are not friends for some reason. Just setting up the new RV yesterday and didn't have a lot of time to play around with the entertainment side of things.

DocFather

So, is it as simple as pressing the bluetooth button on the system and then pairing it with my phone? :) LOL... I hope it will be that simple. Me and bluetooth are not friends for some reason. Just setting up the new RV yesterday and didn't have a lot of time to play around with the entertainment side of things.

I'll give my standard techie answer. "Find a 13 yr-old." Seriously

ManDak

LOL!! Thanks! I have an 8 year old and he is quickly surpassing me in the tech department but not much experience in the RV side of it. :cool: I'm old school and still feel most comfortable when I'm connected to something with a cord!

DocFather

LOL!! Thanks! I have an 8 year old and he is quickly surpassing me in the tech department but not much experience in the RV side of it. :cool: I'm old school and still feel most comfortable when I'm connected to something with a cord!

It can be done. You just need to know the steps and have the video add-ons to make it work. A lot will depend on your download speed with your phone.

ndmac

I have amicroUSB-to-HDMI/USB cable and want to connect my phone to the TV to watch online TV and netflix. I tried to connect my cord to the TV through the USB port on the entertainment console but that didn't work. So, I am assuming that I will have to find the HDMI port on the back of the TV to hook it up? Just wondering if there are any suggestions on how to stream from my phone to the TV the easiest. I have a chrome cast at home but from what I researched that will not work as we do not have a router/wifi in the RV. I just didn't want to monkey with trying to get behind the TV if there was an easier way to do it. It is the Jensen Audio system that we have in our Sundance. If I plug into the HDMI on the TV will I still have sound through the interior RV speakers?

Easiest way I found was using apple TV 3.
You can either get Netflix through your iPhone/iPad and use Airplay Mirroring. Or connect Apple TV3 to your Hotspot/public/free Wifi or LAN and play direct through Apple TV.

Apple TV 3 will allow you to Mirror iPad/iPhone directly to TV without wireless signal unlike ChromeCast and others.
Read this first. Shows you what to look for if you want to Airlpay without separate Wifi connection. (especially Here's what you need #2 EMC 2633 number)
http://physedagogy.com/2014/09/25/n...-apple-tv-to-mirror-your-device-without-wifi/
(Every AppleTV is looked at Walmart had the correct EMC#,but double check before buying)

Android users need this app. or similar.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zappotvapple&hl=en

I have iPhone and Wife has Android...both work great.

Another option is this gizmo. It will broadcast a Wifi signal that you can use it to stream from phone to Apple TV or other device. ChromeCast work with it as well if you connect both devices to the Airstash Wfi network.
Can be powered by TV or USB wall plug. and will give you the missing Wifi signal needed to send from different devices that require Wifi. (does not provide ISP connection) but will allow connection by other wireless devices, so if your TV has Wifi it could possibly be used to stream direct to the TV.
http://www.airstash.com/

danemayer

Before you go too far, you should consider your phone's data plan. A few people have unlimited data plans, but typically the speed gets throttled back after you exceed some limit and won't support video streaming at the lower speed.

If you have to pay for data by the Gigabyte, streaming video can get very expensive.

DocFather

Before you go too far, you should consider your phone's data plan. A few people have unlimited data plans, but typically the speed gets throttled back after you exceed some limit and won't support video streaming at the lower speed.

If you have to pay for data by the Gigabyte, streaming video can get very expensive.

My concern, too. I was assuming he had unlimited which is rare as you point out. But a monthly data plan can be eaten up in a few hours.

MCTalley

Or connect Apple TV3 to your Hotspot/public/free Wifi or LAN and play direct through Apple TV.

Note that connecting your Apple TV to public WiFi means that anyone on that network (i.e. pretty much the whole campground) could potentially use AirPlay to have fun with your TV. I was connected to a campground wi-fi signal one time (a rare occurrence for me) and was surprised to see the AirPlay icon on my laptop become enabled. I clicked on it and had the option to connect to an Apple TV (we have one on board, but it is never on the public wi-fi and I have it renamed so I know whether it is mine or not).

ndmac

Note that connecting your Apple TV to public WiFi means that anyone on that network (i.e. pretty much the whole campground) could potentially use AirPlay to have fun with your TV. I was connected to a campground wi-fi signal one time (a rare occurrence for me) and was surprised to see the AirPlay icon on my laptop become enabled. I clicked on it and had the option to connect to an Apple TV (we have one on board, but it is never on the public wi-fi and I have it renamed so I know whether it is mine or not).

You will have to restrict who can access you apple TV if you are on pubic network.
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/tips/comments/controlling-who-can-airplay-to-your-apple-tv

DocFather

My 13-year old that I mentioned way down in this thread is now a 36 year-old IT professional with his own business. So, half the time I offer info on here, it is with half-***** knowledge, since I depend on his intellect and experience. But, one way to protect your "stuff" on public wi-fi in a RV park, is with a device such as "WiFi Ranger (click)" that I have been using for 2 years. You can password protect everything in your rig, Laptops, TV's, Tablets, wifi thermostats, etc. However, it does add another "layer" to what is already shoddy bandwidth at the Park and slows it down your speeds slightly.

Last edited by a moderator:

MCTalley

I meant no disrespect. Sorry if I offended anyone. :rolleyes:

Not at all. She's poking fun at me since I work in the computer field but never take time to figure out all the options on something. When people ask for my assistance in getting their computer-based something working, I usually play dumb and say I just program them and have no idea what might be wrong.

ndmac

Not at all. She's poking fun at me since I work in the computer field but never take time to figure out all the options on something. When people ask for my assistance in getting their computer-based something working, I usually play dumb and say I just program them and have no idea what might be wrong.

MCTalley,
Thanks for clarification. Glad everything is all good.
I have same problem just happen that I watched youtube video on setting up AppleTV and caught that how to..LOL

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

Malcolm, my cousin works for Apple. But he works on the software side (he and his team work on Pages). When I ask a hardware question, he usually says the same thing. ;)