Calling all Big Country 2950RK Owners

chrizg

We are very close to buying this model. We liked it in the 07 model of the Big Horn and we found it again in the Big Country.

What do you pull it with? What do you suggest I get to pull it?

How do you like it? Had any issues?

Any advice?

Thanks!

chrizg

What are you planning on pulling it with? Looks like min is a 2500 HD or a 3500 truck...

We just signed the papers on ours today, so just need to find a truck to pull it.

RubiconAg

We have an 01' Ford SRW F-350 long bed, crew cab, 7.3PSD and several modifications to the engine. It takes every bit of the truck to pull it efficiently. If we upgrade trucks we will definitely be looking at a dually for the lateral stability and possibly the F-450 or 550 for the added weight capacity. The trailer comes close to maxing our weight and engine when fully loaded. I personally would not go any less than a 1-ton and a turbo diesel. I know the big three manufactures all have great trucks and diesel engines. Personally it comes down to your preferences to looks and interiors when you are in the HD class of trucks.
<O:p
As for a the trailer, it's great, the unique floor plan is what won us over. We love the kitchen in the back and the fully enclosed bathroom. The 09' models that are out now have upgrades that our 08' does not have such as stereo, winterizing valves, exterior speakers and several other minor changes that in my opinion make a world of difference. Feel free to PM with other questions.<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p
Nick<O:p</O:p

wpeoples

Let me start off by saying I have not even owned this trailer a week and have only pulled it twice, both times were loaded with my stuff, so take my comments for what they are worth..... I am pulling the 3250TS with a Crew Cab 2500HD with the 8.1L gas and it accomplishes the task just fine IMO. Looking at the specs, the weights of our trailers are very simular. Would a dual wheel diesel do it better, im sure it would but a 3/4 ton will handle this trailer. There are several factors that play into your decision, price range being the biggest. Get the biggest truck you can afford and justify, the minumum should be a heavy duty 3/4 ton. I dont know if the Chevrolet 6.0L gas would handle it. And you definaltley want the Allison Transmission if your going Chevrolet, I think they only put that behind the 8.1L and the Duramax.

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
I agree with Will. Any of the big 3 2500HDs will pull this trailer. It's dry weight is 10,240lbs. My GMC 2500HD has a Gross Combined Weight Rating of 21,000 lbs. That means that you would have to load 4,000 lbs of junk just to reach the weight rating of your truck and trailer. I don't think that even my wife could do that, and she loads a lot. lol I weighed my truck, full tank of fuel and the two of us and it came up shy of 7,000 lbs. Is bigger better, I guess, if you have the money and plan on upgrading to a bigger FW someday, but for now a 3/4 ton will pull that rig just fine.
Fred

Pulltab

we have the 2925rk in the Big horn 07 model, don't let the weight fool you. Remember the base weight does not include any options. We are fulltimers in our rig so we carry more than most would but our rig is within 200 lbs of 14000 limit! Our dodge 3500 loaded with fuel and that includes 51 extra gallons in spare tank is 9000lbs, add it up, that is 22,800lbs and my dodge is rated for 23,000. Be careful if you are going to buy a truck specifically to haul that trailer, and don't buy something too small, been there done that! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Pulltab

Do some careful research and run the numbers, don't let anyone convince you to buy something less than adequate. Lots of misleading information on forums, make an informed decision.

azbound

pulltab is right. I would go as large as you can afford and I would go with a Turbo Diesel. I personally like the Duramax with the Allison trans. Also remember towing on flat ground is not the test, uphill you will need power, down hill you need brakes and trust without sufficient breaks you can get in big trouble. Plus the diesel will get much better mileage.

Good luck

Pulltab

pulltab is right. I would go as large as you can afford and I would go with a Turbo Diesel. I personally like the Duramax with the Allison trans. Also remember towing on flat ground is not the test, uphill you will need power, down hill you need brakes and trust without sufficient breaks you can get in big trouble. Plus the diesel will get much better mileage.

Good luck

Bingo! Thank you very much! :)

chrizg

I ended up buying the biggest truck I could without going to a 450. 06 CTD Mega Cab, DRW, 5" exhast, B&W.

Loving the trailer so far. We upgraded from a 20' trail-lite TT. We are camping way more in the new 5ver. We love it

5.jpg