back up camera reinstall

sunriverman

I have a 2015 Ram 3500 with a camera in the tailgate that I would like to remove and install in my fifth wheel free flow tailgate. The disconnect plug is there for remounting, just looking for those who have already experienced the learning curve. Thanks.
Sunriverman

Last edited:

jbeletti

Are you saying you want to relocate the backup camera from the tailgate of your truck, the the rear cap area of your RV?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I recently bought some software that allowed me to leave the tailgate camera in place and add on to the rear of my RV.
Actually I had the cam in place on the RV but wanted to be able to view it through the UConnect radio.
I also added a front cam and all can be viewed while in motion.
As soon as I get caught up with some work around here I will post a video of how it works.
I really like the setup.

Peace
Dave

jbeletti

I believe he is saying he wants to install it in an aftermarket Fifth Wheel tailgate.

Rod

Ah - I get it now. Yes, I see no issue with repurposing an OEM tailgate camera into one of these free-flow tailgates. Just some custom bracketry and care around the cable at the hinge area.

I've never done this but hoping someone here has and can give you feedback on their experience.

Sounds like a fun project.