Awning Bracket Screws

talley

While washing the Bighorn yesterday I noticed the two screws holding one of the awning brackets had pulled partway out of the wall. Don't know when it occurred, but must have been some previous wind gusts. Anyway, screwed both back in and are holding for now. However, probably not holding tight. Does anyone know what construction is generally found behind wall where awning brackets are mounted? Would it be wood block or is metal frame expected to the found there? Has anyone experienced a repair to this problem? I plan to try a size larger screw... but have not attempted this yet.

Thanks, Jerry

Muddy

I had a similar problem in that approximately 50% of the heads of my awning screws broke off. I'm guessing that either they were torqued too tightly or the screws were defective. I replaced all with #8 SS screws and a couple went in like they were going into wood but most were going into aluminum.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Get some of those plastic inserts like those that are used for sheetrock.

Insert those into the whole and replace the screw. It won't back out and will hold securely.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
talley, had the same thing happen on our Landmark last year at the beach. Tried to tighten the bolts but they would not. Found out all that was holding the bolts in place was the thin outside wall. I used the plastic bolt anchors and some caucking. So far so good.

jpmorgan37

Drill out the hole for the plastic insert. Most are 1/4 inch, but check to make sure first. Then mix up a little 5 minute epoxy and coat the plastic insert before you put it in, then put your screw back it, you won't have to worry about it ever coming out (under normal conditions). Trees, tornados etc. are not normal and will remove the screws.

John

talley

Awning Brackeet Screws

Thanks to all... I removed the screws and found that they are in wood which had gotten wet in past. Followed advice and bought 1/4" inch lag screw X three inches. Drilled holes to 5/16" and inserted plastic anchor. This did the trick! I do think the addition of epoxy with the the plastic anchor would be the way to go. Now in Port Aransas and when I get back to home base will redo the repair to use epoxy.

Thanks again...