Towing question For Big Horn 3760EL and my Truck

OhShoot

Looking at getting a Big Horn 3760EL specks show Gross weight at 16,000ibs Dry weight of 13,400ibs and Hitch weight of 2,716ibs , can I pull this 5er with my 2014 Diesel 4x4 crew cab Chevy 3500HD SRW Truck specks say on Chevys website 17,200 5th wheel towing capacity and GCWR 24,500ibs on the door it shows GVWR of 11,500 and the GVW of the truck is 7,916 with hitch and passengers :confused::confused::confused:

MagnoliaTom

I personally would have no problem with that set up as I towed my elkridge with similar weights with an F250, 2005 model. I'm sure others may have a different opinion. You should check the payload capacity of your truck. My guess is it's around 3k pounds. Your pin weight will be closer to 3200 once loaded. Again, I'd be ok with it but others may see it differently

Birchwood

The GVWR of your Chevy is 100 lb higher than my 07 GMC dually.The max pin will be 3000 lb for the Bighorn so therefore
8000 lbs(truck) + 3000lbs =11000lbs. You will be underweight.

B

BouseBill

An important question in my mind is: Weekend camper or full-timer? If a weekender you can keep weights down, full-times tend to put on a few pounds (LOL).

kowAlski631

We pull our 3760RL with our 2012 2500HD crew cab fine. But we don't travel with fresh water or without emptying the holding tanks.

Miltp920

I just weighed my 3100 cyclone on the CAT scale today. Heartland says 15,500 lb gross on the sticker, it was 12388 lbs DRY weight as delivered from manufacture (yellow sticker in door) with 6 point level. I do have a generator in the front, so that may add to my pin weight. I added slide toppers to my two slides after delivery. My pin weight is 3280 lbs (20.7% of gross). My Cyclone weighs about 15,800 loaded for camping with a golf cart and 15 gallon of fuel in the toy hauler gas tank. My truck weighs 7700 lbs and my gross total today was 22,720 lbs with no passengers in truck. Thought these real numbers might help you decide if your numbers work. I am thinking your 3500 has to be good enough for your rig. My 2500 does fine pulling and stopping, but I am looking for a 3500 for my setup. Your truck is only 200 lbs more than mine, and your 5er gross is potentially 500 lbs heavier so 700lbs "ish" difference... but your Gross total allowed is 24500. That is 1780lbs more than mine weighed today. I think you have 1000lbs margin. You won't know until you put in on a scale. You would have to take the weight of your TV passengers off the 1000lbs (if your DW will tell you her weight). My truck only had a half tank of fuel in it.

OhShoot;42273v said:
Looking at getting a Big Horn 3760EL specks show Gross weight at 16,000ibs Dry weight of 13,400ibs and Hitch weight of 2,716ibs , can I pull this 5er with my 2014 Diesel 4x4 crew cab Chevy 3500HD SRW Truck specks say on Chevys website 17,200 5th wheel towing capacity and GCWR 24,500ibs on the door it shows GVWR of 11,500 and the GVW of the truck is 7,916 with hitch and passengers :confused::confused::confused:

MTPockets

It's my opinion that you shouldn't listen to opinions. Your door will have a yellow sticker with your trucks max payload. Your payload is the pin weight of your loaded 5vr, plus the weight of your hitch, all other cargo and passenger weight. If the total is less than the sticker, you're fine, if your over, then you must decide if you feel safe traveling with your family in an overloaded truck. No opinion, just numbers.

OhShoot

That would be nice but I have not bought the 5th wheel yet . All I can do is go by heartlands website on the weights . So how do I come to that conclusion . only sticker I see says tire loading 3897

danemayer

That would be nice but I have not bought the 5th wheel yet . All I can do is go by heartlands website on the weights . So how do I come to that conclusion . only sticker I see says tire loading 3897

The door sticker on the truck usually would say Payload = x,xxx lbs. Could be 3897 is the payload - it's in the ballpark. For planning purposes, you can estimate pin weight of 3,200 for a 5th wheel with GVWR of 16,000 (20%). Add the weight of your hitch, bed liner, bed cover, tools, pets, passengers and anything else in the truck. Sometimes the actual pin weight is more than 20%; sometimes less. Depends on floor plan, options, and what you put into the trailer. You won't know the actuals until you have the trailer, load it and take it to a scale.

You'll likely be close to the payload limit.

We towed our 16,000 lb Landmark for 4 years with a 2011 GMC 3500 CC Longbed 4x4 SRW. The payload was about 4,100 and we were about 200 lbs over. Our Landmark had an actual pin weight of 3,700, driven by washer/dryer and generator up front along with a full basement. It pulled fine, rode level, and handled well. Traded it in last year for a RAM DRW.

OhShoot

Danemayer Did you have to have air bags for your truck or did it have the extra towing package springs, like I have on my truck image.jpg

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Look at the D/A owners manual in your truck glove box. Compare your truck to all the specs listed for "your" truck...as to say "truck to truck" by equipment.