Carpet Issue (mold or glue)

bowhunt73

In my kids room I found this yesterday. Camper was indoors all winter. This was not there prior to storage. Could this be mold or glue seeping in?

Attachments

• IMG_0684.JPG
    IMG_0684.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0679.JPG
    IMG_0679.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0678.JPG
    IMG_0678.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0675.JPG
    IMG_0675.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 93

bowhunt73

I think it's rust. It was damp. The paper towel picked up moisture and a rust color. No risen whatsoever on the paper towel. If it were mold it would have something on the towel. Also I have pics underneath that corner. U can see rust through the black wrap. Also they caulked that exact corner. I also lapped down a bunch of decor on the roof. There were some minor cracking.

I post pics in a few doesn't work on my phone. How do I pull up the carpet without ruining the carpet? It is really fastened down. Thanks for all the help. Randall

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    510.2 KB · Views: 40

bowhunt73

Here's the pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    510.2 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    521.6 KB · Views: 46
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    845.9 KB · Views: 51
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    401.6 KB · Views: 55

bowhunt73

More pics sorry they are sideways.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    649.3 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    620.8 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    837.6 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    622.8 KB · Views: 48

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Your last pic shows where you are having the problem and also shows a window.
I had a similar problem in a similar area. I checked the caulking on the window and it looked good, but I went ahead and removed the caulk and re did it but extended the caulk around and down the side of that window. It took care of the problem.
So that's another thing to consider doing with that window.

Peace
Dave

bowhunt73

Thanks Dave. I will check that also. I bleached that area just I case it is mold. I'm not sure how rust would seep up and in. How do I get the carpet loose? I don't have one of those kick or knee devices that they use. Could the carpet be wrapped under the sub floor or do they use tack strips?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think that the carpet is stretched so pulling it up should not be a problem. There is no pad under the carpet on the slide floor.
I believe that the carpet is just glued at the perimeter.
Also I would not bother pulling it up, I would just put a fan on it to dry it. In fact that's what I did.

Peace
Dave

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Had the same issue as Dave. I did the same repair and no more wet carpet. Tracing down a water leak is tough as it enter one place and come out another place. If you do decide to re-clauk the window....only do the top and sides. Never the bottom.