Need Tow Vehicle for NT 33BKSS--help!

MikeD

I appreciate all of the advice in this forum. I am preparing to purchase a NT 33BKSS (bumper pull) that has a dry weight of 7595 and a GVWR of 9600. I am going to buy a Ford 150 (V8, 5.0) to pull this rig but am confused. I spoke with the Heartland people and they tell me this unit was meant to be pulled by a F150 or like sized truck. However, some tell me that the 150 can pull it but it would struggle. I am worried about buying the 150 and then realizing it is too small?

Questions:
Can this NT 33BKSS be pulled with a 2013/2014 F150 V8, 5.0 comfortably?
I do not want to drive a larger truck, so is there something else I need to consider?
Does anyone else tow a bumper pull like this with a F150? Good, bad, or what?
How about the V6 with Ecoboost?

Thanks so much for your ideas/thoughts. Need all the help I can get.

DaveTyler

Mike, Dave here. I pulled a KZ 32 foot bumper pull with equalizer hitch(a must) and mine was the F150 with the Ecoboost which has twin turbos. The power was never a problem on Ecoboost. Not sure about the 5.0? They have a 5.4 triton? Also what rear end. Are you using for the weekend or all time or what. My Ecoboost did great, I did however put Air Lift air bags on the truck(did myself) to keep the rear end level. Also had one sway bar on my hitch, some folks put two. I think the echoboost will do better for you. Let me know if I can help. Dave

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I'm going to tell you to go with a F250 or 2500HD . . .

You won't regret it.

Been there . . . don't that . . . and with a lighter trailer!

I won't say any more . . .

The first thing you should do is check your vehicle max towing capacity as you'll see when you look it up there are many different towing capacities for the different truck styles like crew cab, 4x4, 4x2 etc... My opinion is if you are loyal to Ford products go with eco boost much more pulling power and will not struggle. I have the exact travel trailer model and I'm pulling it with a Toyota Tundra Crewmax which is rated for 9600 Max towing and I do not have any issues pulling it safely with a weight distribution hitch and a friction sway bar.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
To get a starting point on the configuration you will need, check out the Trailer life towing guides.

http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-towing-guides/
http://prodcontent.s3.amazonaws.com/trailerlife.com/digital_editions/TrailerLifeTowGuide2014.pdf

The F150 has a very large range of towing capacities and the incorrect combination can leave you wishing you had a larger truck or a very poor towing experience.
Both the V6 and 5.0 V-8 could tow the trailer but you also need the correct towing package and rear axle ratio. Make sure you check your payload rating also. Even though the trailer weight might be fine in one configuration with just the driver, Add a bunch of stuff to the bed of the truck and a few passengers could quickly leave you overloaded.

JeromyS

I'll also share my experience with a tow trailer and a smaller truck. I had a 30 foot tow behind with a dry weight of 10k lbs. I had a Tundra rated to haul 10k lbs. I put airbags and a bunch of towing equipment into the Tundra just to be sure. It pulled that camper just fine. It was stopping and breaking where it had its issues. I was traveling down a hill which had a rather large bump in it, the trailer slightly lifted the back of the truck off the pavement and I almost jack-knifed. Just because a truck can pull a trailer doesn't mean it should or that you haven't overloaded that trailer beyond the trucks capacity. My Mrs. likes to pack the house for a 2 nighter. I think I over compensated a bit after my scare (family was in the truck with me). I jumped into a 3500 HD dually within a month of that incident and haven't looked back since (purely based on the breaking capability of the platform as I could care less about what it could pull, I now focus on how well it can stop what it is pulling). After I got the bigger truck, the wife found the bigger trailer to fit the truck and everyone is happy.

I've never had a scare or an issue and feel better for it. Sure it was a lot of money, but I can use this truck across every trailer now or in the future I'd ever want. I'd personally rather oversize the TV and know I'm set for the life of this trailer or any other trailer in the future while protecting my family than risk it and put my life, my families life and those folks on the road around me lives in danger for any reason.

Just my .02 though.

Enjoy your new trailer and above all be safe while doing it!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
My 2cts worth. Always buy more truck than you need. Spend the money now rather than taking a hit 2 years from now when you buy a bigger trailer.

EPaulikonis

I appreciate all of the advice in this forum. I am preparing to purchase a NT 33BKSS (bumper pull) that has a dry weight of 7595 and a GVWR of 9600. I am going to buy a Ford 150 (V8, 5.0) to pull this rig but am confused. I spoke with the Heartland people and they tell me this unit was meant to be pulled by a F150 or like sized truck. However, some tell me that the 150 can pull it but it would struggle. I am worried about buying the 150 and then realizing it is too small?

Questions:
I do not want to drive a larger truck, so is there something else I need to consider?

No way I'd hook up with the 9600 GVWR on an F-150 w/5.0 engine. Good rule of thumb is to shoot for 25% more than the GVWR of the trailer when looking at the towing tables. This will give you the added capacity for another passenger, some cargo in the truck, a soda, or all the other items that add weight to the tow vehicle that's not already accounted for on the tow table. This means you should shoot for a truck capable of handling 12,000 lbs. (9,600 + 2,400).

Might as well start looking at the 6.2L gas (12,500 on 3.73 gear) or the 6.7L diesel (12,500 on 3.31 or 3.55) in the 250 series. I pulled these numbers from the Super Duty 2014 tow table.

tomsws6

I agree with BOb&Patty above.. Buy more truck than you need. I have made that mistake twice now.. I had a 2012 sprinter 323bhs and pulled it with a 06 gmc denali AWD 6.0 v8 p/u... It did the job but it was always a uncomfortable driving experience.. So I jumped up to a 06 F350 diesel.. Great decision.. More than enough grunt and stopping power. Well.....I bought a cyclone 4200 now and its too big for the truck.. The truck will do it but Im in the same boat as when I started and its not as safe. So I gotta get a bigger truck...again... Start out with a bigger truck, more than you need because Im sure most here will tell you that sooner or later you end up upgrading your camper.

Mightymouse

A 2015 F150 with HD payload and Max tow can handle this. You will need the 3.5L ecoboost and I can assure you it would be fine. I currently have a heavier camper and tow it with a 2013 ecoboost f150 and it handles it with no problem. My current campers hitch weight is too high for my F150, so I don't like towing it at all for legal reasons. A newer 2025 with the aluminum body would handle a LOT of weight.
I believe payload in the range of 2000lbs and up and a tow capacity of 11,700lbs. More than enough. He payload and MaxTow. Or 6.5' bed if you don't want the HD payload package.

roaddog28

My 2cts worth. Always buy more truck than you need. Spend the money now rather than taking a hit 2 years from now when you buy a bigger trailer.
I agree. It does not hurt to buy more truck than you need. I learned the hard way. See my post in excellent guide for rig and truck.
Howard

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

Questions:

So . . . what did you end up doing?