05-18-2015, 08:29 PM
Do I need a firearm if I'm not going to be hunting. Thanks

brianharrison
05-18-2015, 08:33 PM
Coming from a Canadian - no.

Brian

avvidclif
05-18-2015, 09:07 PM
Don't even think of crossing the border to Canada with a firearm unless you like going to jail. That's why I'll never travel to Alaska.

DocFather
05-18-2015, 10:13 PM
http://canada.usembassy.gov/traveling_to_canada/bringing-weapons-into-canada.html

olcoon
05-18-2015, 11:53 PM
Didn't look at the link DocFather posted, but I've probably read it before. Don't think about taking a hand gun, or have any ammo for one in your truck or coach, you'll have A LOT OF PROBLEMS. You can take a long gun but don't state it's for "protection", from critters or bad guys. I've known of people who have travelled through Canada to Alaska with long guns with no problems, but they filled out the necessary paperwork BEFORE crossing the border & mailed it to the proper Canadian authorities, and had it approved before they left. When they crossed the border they stated they had the firearm, were pulled to the side, asked a few questions, paperwork was reviewed & they were on their way. I also know people who have taken shotguns to Canada for hunting with no problems. It can be done, you've just got to jump through the hoops.

DocFather
05-19-2015, 12:04 AM
Didn't look at the link DocFather posted, but I've probably read it before. Don't think about taking a hand gun, or have any ammo for one in your truck or coach, you'll have A LOT OF PROBLEMS. You can take a long gun but don't state it's for "protection", from critters or bad guys. I've known of people who have travelled through Canada to Alaska with long guns with no problems, but they filled out the necessary paperwork BEFORE crossing the border & mailed it to the proper Canadian authorities, and had it approved before they left. When they crossed the border they stated they had the firearm, were pulled to the side, asked a few questions, paperwork was reviewed & they were on their way. I also know people who have taken shotguns to Canada for hunting with no problems. It can be done, you've just got to jump through the hoops.

Exactly. And it IS possible to get a carry permit for a handgun as long as the barrel us a certain length or longer. "Handguns with at least 4-inch barrels are considered "restricted" firearms and are allowed in Canada, but require the completion an approval of an Application for an Authorization to Transport Restricted Firearms. (http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/form-formulaire/num-nom/679-eng.htm)This Non-Resident Firearm Declaration costs $50 Canadian."

Jim-Lynn
05-19-2015, 06:54 AM
As Brian said - don't even think of crossing the border with any type of gun. CASE CLOSED

Jim

mlburst1
05-19-2015, 07:09 AM
We traveled through Canada on our way to Alaska and back with a shotgun with absolutely no issues.

The other three couples with us also had long guns.

We all filled out form RCMP 5589 (http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/visit-visite-eng.htm) and presented them at the border crossings - you will have to go inside and pay the current fee which is good for 90 days and then you're on your way.

This is for long guns only.

avvidclif
05-19-2015, 07:15 AM
I guess my baby Glock wouldn't pass muster.

DocFather
05-19-2015, 07:24 AM
As Brian said - don't even think of crossing the border with any type of gun. CASE CLOSED

Jim

Why would you say that?

SilverRhino
05-19-2015, 09:15 AM
I assume that when you get to the border they ask if you have firearms? Safe bet that there are a number of people that just say No and go on their way with their gun.

I would look so guilty they would immediately search my entire rig if I tried it.....but I'm sure that a lot of folks do it.

Lynn1130
05-19-2015, 09:37 AM
I think the question was "do I need a firearm" and the thread changed to transporting firearms into or across Canada. The short answer to the question is NO you don't need a firearm. If you need some protection from critters once in Alaska buy some bear spray but dump it before you try to go back through Canada.

If, however, you are planning to research taking a handgun or long gun through Canada the information posted will help.

ManDak
05-19-2015, 09:44 AM
Hi, Mind if I chime in here. Finally, something I have knowledge on. If you keep my little secret I'll let you in on it that I am actually a Canadian Border Officer. These are the facts. Sorry, no handguns. I have arrested people just as said that are on their way to Alaska that thought that they could just tell a little fib and be on their merry way. Yes, I'm sure there has been people that have got past me but I will tell you the ones that don't are not proud people after I find it and they are arrested and lose their gun forever and turned back. Not a cool trip for them.
Yes, you can take long guns (shotguns/rifles) though Canada. There is actually an in transit option on the form - or at least there was on the old forms, maybe not on the new ones. I can't always keep up as they tend to change them. But, fact of the matter is that it's not that hard, declare them, fill out the form, pay a $25 fee, and away you go. Now, doesn't mean that you won't possibly get searched or additional questions - that's just our mentality we have. American+Going to Alaska = Handgun. Don't be offended and if you don't have a handgun then don't stress about it. Let the officers do their job and you will be on your way.
Hope that helps and clears up any mis information. Any other border related questions - feel free to ask. Oh... and no poultry products or eggs right now - Avian flu outbreak and there are current regulations on that. :)

ManDak
05-19-2015, 09:50 AM
Oh and one more thing... Actual "Bear" spray is legal in Canada. It has to say "Bear" spray or protection from bear's on the container and usually they are a large canister not the dinky little pepper sprays...trust me.... I have sprayed out hundreds of those little mace/pepper sprays in my career and I wouldn't risk my life thinking those dribbles would protect me from anything.... get the big can! Once again, just declare it, have it handy (as you probably already should if you really want it for protection) as the officer may want to see it and confirm that it is actually labelled as bear spray. And it is going to be used for "protection from bears and wildlife" not personal protection. ;)

ManDak
05-19-2015, 09:57 AM
"Exactly. And it IS possible to get a carry permit for a handgun as long as the barrel us a certain length or longer. "Handguns with at least 4-inch barrels are considered "restricted" firearms and are allowed in Canada, but require the completion an approval of an Application for an Authorization to Transport Restricted Firearms. (http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/form-formulaire/num-nom/679-eng.htm)This Non-Resident Firearm Declaration costs $50 Canadian.":

Just to clarify that statement from DocFather. Actually, handguns are ONLY allowed into Canada if you are attending a certified pistol competition. There is no "permit to carry". You would require a invitational letter from a registered shooting organization such as the IPSC and then must apply for an "Authorization to Transport" from the RCMP. The pistol would only be allowed to be carried to and from the actual shooting competition.

JohnDar
05-19-2015, 10:04 AM
And a few years back, I was repeatedly asked what firearms did I own, not if I had any with me. And I repeatedly answered that what I owned was none of her business because I didn't have any of them with me and she was welcome to search if she didn't believe me. After a few minutes of this, she waved me on with a frustrated huff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

travelin2
05-19-2015, 10:26 AM
And a few years back, I was repeatedly asked what firearms did I own, not if I had any with me. And I repeatedly answered that what I owned was none of her business because I didn't have any of them with me and she was welcome to search if she didn't believe me. After a few minutes of this, she waved me on with a frustrated huff.

Same thing a couple years ago at the Niagara Falls crossing. Guy kept asking my buddy and me what guns we had at home after we told him we had none with us. Probably didn't help that my buddy had on a T shirt from his shooting club[emoji12][emoji12]!!

ManDak
05-19-2015, 10:44 AM
Basically, the question is an honesty test. Have any firearms with you? "no" Own any firearms? "no" So, there has never been any firearms in your vehicle? "no" I run a residue test on your belongings/vehicle and find gunpowder reside. Hmmm, why is there residue, why might not he/she being totally honest with me? What are they hiding? Maybe I need to start digging/searching a little more deeper? You don't want to answer a simple question? Hmm, what are they trying to hide?

And, yes it is our business.

"Canada Customs Act
Section 11.4
Presentation and reporting within customs controlled area(1.1) Every person who is in a customs controlled area shall, if requested to do so by an officer,

(a) present himself or herself in the prescribed manner to an officer and identify himself or herself; and

(b) answer truthfully any questions asked by an officer in the performance of his or her duties under this or any other Act of Parliament."

You don't want to answer our questions, we do not have to let you into Canada. As a non citizen is is a privilege to enter another country, not your right.

Rayz
05-19-2015, 01:38 PM
As a Canadian, I wouldnt be overly concerned with needing fire arm protection from critters. It is an exceptional case where a bear or cougar get close enough to harm you unless of course you are well into the bush hiking/working etc... then its also rare that an encounter occurs, I am more leary about people harming others though, but for now anyways it is relativly safe to camp/boondoggle etc..here.
If I am not mistaken, it is the same for Canadian's travelling to the US, we are not allowed to carry any rifles/handguns into the US unless we have completed an application throughg Homeland Security and have been sponsored/ invited from a range or club.
There has been one or two occasions where I would have felt a lot safer if I had some protection while inside the five but thats the ruels we bide by.

Capt7383
05-19-2015, 01:42 PM
Very informative mandak. Thank you

olcoon
05-19-2015, 06:39 PM
ManDak,
You just cleared up a lot of questions, and gave some insight into the thinking of a Border Officer-Canadian or US, basically the same mindset. As a retired LEO I've had to explain to civilians-friends, family, or strangers; but why did he.... It's our job, and how we are trained to do it. As questions come up off & on hopefully you monitor the forum enough that you can put your two cents in so people can get correct info, instead of "Well, I think... or I know somebody who... always best to get the good stuff from someone who knows exactly how things work. BTW you've got a tough job, thanks for doing it! I've just got to ask, you are a Canadian Border Officer, but I noticed that you listed ND as your location. I "assume" you are an US resident/citizen and working for the Canadian Government?

For those of you going through Canada to Alaska and want to have a hand gun with you, there is a LEGAL way to do it, but it's a real PITA. Take your hand gun to someone here in the US that has a FFL, and have them ship it to someone in Alaska that has a FFL. When you go home do the same in reverse, or sell it to someone up there.

Lynn1130
05-19-2015, 07:25 PM
ManDak, I understand the reasons for the honesty test and with 35 years in LE I have used the test in one form or another so many times I have lost count but to be honest I know that US or Canadian Border Protection has way more to do than do what look like fishing expeditions. I think you are trying to expand on a point but I am surprised that a simple no answer to a question of gun ownership would bring about a residue test of the vehicle. Contrary to what people in other countries believe, not everyone in the US has a gun in their car and in their house. If there is a suspicion then search the vehicle, if not, don't hold up the line.

Living in a border state, one that has a **** of a lot more problems than Canada could ever have with the US as a neighbor, and having worked with BP many times I found the officers way to overloaded to worry about trying to drum up a problem. I really appreciate what you guys do and appreciate the information that you are presenting. Thanks for the good info.

ManDak
05-22-2015, 03:12 PM
Olcoon, you assumed right, I am a Canadian Border Officer, Canadian citizen, I married my American husband and I have PR status in the US. I commute from our home in the US (North Dakota) to my job in Canada (Manitoba). Kind of a complicated situation to follow for most.

And, by no means am I hear to lecture anybody, I can do enough of that at work, lol, just want to try to provide some info if possible.

" I think you are trying to expand on a point but I am surprised that a simple no answer to a question of gun ownership would bring about a residue test of the vehicle. Contrary to what people in other countries believe, not everyone in the US has a gun in their car and in their house. If there is a suspicion then search the vehicle, if not, don't hold up the line. " You are most certainly correct, Lynn1130, there are numerous other factors and indicators to consider. It is somewhat difficult to give a simple answer when the whole situation isn't know. Sometimes it can just be inexperience on part of an Officer too.

Hope I can help with any other questions if possible.

Birchwood
05-22-2015, 04:10 PM
If you are not going hunting you will not need a gun.But then again if you are a drug dealer or prone to getting in trouble you should bring a big gun.

bigdob24
05-22-2015, 05:25 PM
Just ship your hand gun to a dealer in Alaska and ship it back when done traveling.
Lots of folks avoid Canada's anti gun policy's that way.
Don't use The postal service , use Fed Ex or UPS.

avvidclif
05-22-2015, 05:51 PM
Just ship your hand gun to a dealer in Alaska and ship it back when done traveling.
Lots of folks avoid Canada's anti gun policy's that way.
Don't use The postal service , use Fed Ex or UPS.

Ain't happening, most of mine are not registered or whatever you want to call it and I'm not letting them get in anybody's books.

olcoon
05-22-2015, 06:25 PM
ManDak,
Last fall we worked the sugar beet harvest in Drayton, ND. We took a "day trip" to Winnipeg, and when going across the border the officer (a female) asked "What is your business in Canada" or something like that. I said we were on a day trip, and I could almost see the lights & sirens going off in her head. She said "A day trip from Missouri??!!" Then we had an interesting discussion until someone came up behind me. She said she had also worked the sugar beet harvest. She was kind of upset with me because I misread the signs, and got in the wrong lane, which she said happens often.

Tundra2084
05-22-2015, 08:12 PM
Easy answer...IF IN DOUBT GO WITHOUT
OR
DONT GO AT ALL IF YOUR THAT WORRIED ABOUT SAFETY
Life happens and it's not always weapons you might need.
Just saying!

jmgratz
05-22-2015, 09:31 PM
When in Canada a few years ago (Niagara Falls) I was approached by a lady who asked me for directions. When she asked her question to me began with "Officer, Can you..." I was dressed in an old T-shirt and blue jeans with nothing indicating I was a LEO. She said she could just tell I was. And I was a Texas Peace Officer. On another occasion I was approached by an Ex-con in Colorado that I had arrested several years before. He asked if I remembered him. Luckily nothing became of the confrontation but it was an eye opener. That is why LEO's carry their Off-dutys. Now retired for a number of years I still run into folks I have had problems with in previous years while On-Duty. I still carry and have a Federal License to carry which is permitted to Retired LEOs. Would I go to Canada without carrying? No. So I won't go to Canada. I have nothing against Canada or its citizens, it is just that you never know who has traveled there and might pop up from my past years.

jimtoo
05-22-2015, 09:56 PM
A few years back we crossed over to Canada at Niagara Falls. When we pull up officer ask about owning guns and I answered that I did, when ask if I had any with me I said no. Was told to pull over to inspection area and another officer came out and spent 2 1/2 hours going through the trailer and truck. I ask if there was a reason they did not believe me and was told that I had Texas license plates and they search 95% of the vehicles with Texas plates because they know that everyone in Texas owns guns and most do not tell the truth.

Will I be going back to Canada... not likely.

Jim M

olcoon
05-23-2015, 12:38 AM
Just reading this thread, you can really notice a difference between Canadians and US Citizens. US Citizens really like the freedom the Second Amendment affords us, for a lot of reasons. I'm not downplaying our good neighbors to the North, we are very similar in our way of life. However like Jim, I'm a retired LEO, and have met with several people while off duty I've had to deal with before I retired, and some of them weren't the best of people. A lot of these times I had the family with me. Like Jim nothing happened, but you never know what is going through someones mind. Even if I wasn't a retired LEO, with the state of the world I'd still be carrying a weapon. Kind of reminds me of a book I once read. Here is a quote from the book, which I think says it all.

“Understand one thing, Mr. Chantry. You can make laws against weapons but they will be observed only by those who don’t intend to use them anyway. The lawless can always smuggle or steal, or even make a gun. By refusing to wear a gun you allow the criminal to operate with impunity.
We have the law, but even the law cannot be in your bedroom at night.”

From the book North To The Trails by Louis L’Amour

mlburst1
05-23-2015, 09:01 AM
Roy,

I agree completely with your quote - this one always comes to mind when anti's rail against gun ownership - "When seconds count, the police are still minutes away"

Mike

Lynn1130
05-23-2015, 10:00 AM
Carry or not carry is a personal preference but having been a LEO for 35 years, having two daughters, one son-in-law, and two other members of the family that are/were LE (retired), I can tell you that cops are paranoid, period. Is there danger out there, yes. Is there a chance it will get you, yes. Is the chance likely, no. Now if you live in a small town and see the same people every day, and you were the local law, then carry. In my case, I live in the big city where danger lurks around every corner ;) but I don't go into those areas any more. I used to get sent to them but I don't have to do that so I don't. I do carry, in the truck but in all of my many years of retirement I have not seen one instance of a need to use or have a gun on me. I am and was a trained observer. I tend to be looking for where "trouble" might develop and avoid those locations. Does it mean I might miss one and walk into it, maybe. I have just seen too many officers shot, injured or killed when all of the information and numbers were with them and some unknown popped up.

I always taught new officers that they may run into a situation where they need to act or think they need to act when they are off duty. Part of good reasoning and common sense is to decide, at that time, whether to act or be a good witness. And what always come to mind is the citizen who felt he needed to act at a robbery in progress here and shot a bystander by accident. I think he is still in jail awaiting trial.

I am not saying don't protect your family or yourself but I am saying if you carry, use some common sense. And I am sorry, but I can't follow the reasoning that someone will not travel in another country without a gun. I would think if someone is that paranoid they should stay home, lock the doors, and sit in the armchair with their weapon locked and loaded. I would have missed many countries around the world with that frame of mind.

http://www.crimeinamerica.net/2010/12/13/what-are-my-chances-of-being-a-victim-of-violent-crime/

Grey Ghost
05-23-2015, 10:20 AM
Just read this thread and have only this to say" Response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second. Just saying!

Lynn1130
05-23-2015, 11:27 AM
I don't know what city you live in but police and fire in Phoenix for Priority One calls (true emergencies) is just over 5 minutes and in some metro cities nearer 3 minutes.

jmgratz
05-23-2015, 12:45 PM
IMHO I would rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

travlyn2s
05-23-2015, 02:46 PM
Re: Firearms into Canada Having lived in Alaska 25+ years and now make almost yearly trips to Alaska through Canada from Idaho. #1 Handguns are not allowed. 2# Hunting/rifles can be taken. You 'should' have make/model/serial # for rifle. Bolt action rifles, the bolt should not be in rifle. Any ammo stored separately. Declare at border if asked and be prepared to show. Not sure but AR15/K47/automatics probably not allowed. There is no "set" of questions they will ask, so be prepared.

travelin2
05-23-2015, 03:41 PM
Just crossed the border into BC from WA earlier this week. CA border guard was polite and courteous. Less than 5 minutes and we were on our way. A few simple yes/no questions. Yes, I'm without a firearm this trip, no pepper spray but I have bear spray which I declared when asked. I was more worried he'd be upset with the amount of alcohol I had on board [emoji481][emoji481] !! No search of TV or BH.

Birchwood
05-24-2015, 04:46 PM
Just crossed the border into BC from WA earlier this week. CA border guard was polite and courteous. Less than 5 minutes and we were on our way. A few simple yes/no questions. Yes, I'm without a firearm this trip, no pepper spray but I have bear spray which I declared when asked. I was more worried he'd be upset with the amount of alcohol I had on board [emoji481][emoji481] !! No search of TV or BH.

Its that easy if you don't have a gun and if you feel you need to travel with a gun then Canada is not the place for you.

Rosepick
06-07-2015, 04:34 PM
There are no AR15/K47/automatics allowed entry into or through Canada, (former Customs Canada)

dasmoeturhead
06-09-2015, 11:16 AM
Its that easy if you don't have a gun and if you feel you need to travel with a gun then Canada is not the place for you.

I guess its not for me then. No way I would ever travel without a way to protect my family or property. Retired USCG Chief Marine Boarding Officer.

jmgratz
06-09-2015, 12:46 PM
Why is it that current and former LEOs don't want to travel without some way to protect our families and ourselves? Could it be we know something other folks do not?

travelin2
06-09-2015, 01:15 PM
I'll stick my nose into this and say...you're all paranoid and if what is happening in this country in regards to law enforcement behavior is as widespread as one is made to believe then maybe the average citizen should be more concerned with THEIR safety.
I've traveled for business and pleasure for over 40 yrs all over the country. Only a few times did I feel uncomfortable in my environment but really never threatened and those were business trips where I basically had no choice.
Pleasure trips are totally different as I am able to determine my surroundings and have a choice whether I stay or move on. We have never overnighted in a CG, park, etc where I have felt the need to be armed against any personal threat.
In addition, trigger happy citizens are finding themselves in court on trial for murder and manslaughter thinking that a "stand my ground " defense is the ticket out. Well that's proven to be very uncertain.
I'm a second amendment supporter and the wife and I have CC permits and I will protect my family and friends but at the same time I'm not so narrow minded to limit my adventures and travel.

jmgratz
06-09-2015, 01:29 PM
I'll stick my nose into this and say...you're all paranoid and if what is happening in this country in regards to law enforcement behavior is as widespread as one is made to believe then maybe the average citizen should be more concerned with THEIR safety.
I've traveled for business and pleasure for over 40 yrs all over the country. Only a few times did I feel uncomfortable in my environment but really never threatened and those were business trips where I basically had no choice.
Pleasure trips are totally different as I am able to determine my surroundings and have a choice whether I stay or move on. We have never overnighted in a CG, park, etc where I have felt the need to be armed against any personal threat.
In addition, trigger happy citizens are finding themselves in court on trial for murder and manslaughter thinking that a "stand my ground " defense is the ticket out. Well that's proven to be very uncertain.
I'm a second amendment supporter and the wife and I have CC permits and I will protect my family and friends but at the same time I'm not so narrow minded to limit my adventures and travel.

I really think of it differently than you. After over 30 years in Law Enforcement I have seen both good and bad citizens and good and bad officers. But after personally witnesses honest citizens being preyed upon by the lower element of society it is easy to see how you can be sitting in a Luby's eating your dinner when a unstable individual comes in shooting, or sitting in a theater minding your own business when a nutcase is intent on seeing everyone in the place dead. Or walking into a convenience store to buy a soft drink or loaf of bread when some drug-crazied individual decides to take everyone in the store on. You see, you can be doing all the right things, drive to an unfamiliar town on vacation when you wander into what looks like a nice area to go to the store when that happens. No I don't think LEO are paranoid, I think they have been there, done that, seen that, experienced that and know that Murphy's Law (what ever can happen will happen) it real. Safe travels. :)

travelin2
06-09-2015, 03:12 PM
Everything you say is true however the post subject is "traveling to AK thru Canada ". I'm not so narrow minded to say if I can't have my gun I'm not going. Seeing Alaska via the Alaska Hwy is on my bucket list so to do so I left the firearms at home.
Currently in Fairbanks AK.

Capt7383
06-09-2015, 03:17 PM
In response to travelin2. I have also never felt that my house would catch fire nor has it. I never thought I would get in an accident and I havent, but I sure as **** am not gonna cancel my insurance policies either. If you ever feel threatened and wish to move on I sincerely hope you are afforded that opportunity by you assailants. It has been my experience as a LEO for 35 yrs that that you will not be afforded that opportunity. I wish I had a dollar for every victim I talked to that said, "I didn't think that happened here". So much for choosing your environment. Good luck in your travels, btw why the ccw permits?

travelin2
06-09-2015, 03:29 PM
In response to travelin2. I have also never felt that my house would catch fire nor has it. I never thought I would get in an accident and I havent, but I sure as **** am not gonna cancel my insurance policies either. If you ever feel threatened and wish to move on I sincerely hope you are afforded that opportunity by you assailants. It has been my experience as a LEO for 35 yrs that that you will not be afforded that opportunity. I wish I had a dollar for every victim I talked to that said, "I didn't think that happened here". So much for choosing your environment. Good luck in your travels, btw why the ccw permits?

Again the post is about traveling to AK thru Canada. We expect people that visit the USA to follow our rules so if I want to travel to Canada I have to follow theirs.
That said i will repeat myself in that I'm not going to stay in the lower 48 because I "can't take my favorite gun"!!!
In addition, I could get hit by a bus while crossing the street so in your way if thinking, I should never cross the street.
Duh...

Capt7383
06-09-2015, 03:41 PM
Now your making progress. At least you now realize you COULD get hit by a bus. In your prior Post you seemed oblivious to that simple fact

avvidclif
06-09-2015, 04:11 PM
Why is it that current and former LEOs don't want to travel without some way to protect our families and ourselves? Could it be we know something other folks do not?

For the "other folks" it's called the rose colored glasses syndrome.

lynndiwagoner
06-09-2015, 07:38 PM
Funny thread. I always pack when I'm on the road. Always. I don't go to States that don't allow my right to be armed. Now, if I were going to Alaska, I would probably ship the gun to a firearms dealer in Alaska and take my chances in Canada. I guess law abiding Canadian citizens can't be trusted with a firearm.

brianharrison
06-09-2015, 09:57 PM
I guess law abiding Canadian citizens can't be trusted with a firearm.

Not true; we like to own long guns and shoot some pretty cool wildlife with them. In fact there are a large contingent of Americans who come here specifically for our hunting and professional guides for exotic animals. Typically handguns are used to shoot people - we frown on that and keep the weapons out of the hands of the less trustworthy - LEOs use that to their advantage up here.

Simply, Canadian laws are written such that handguns are restricted weapons and there are stringent rules and permitting regarding these types of firearms (amongst others). Long guns are less restricted and have less rules and permit requirements.

I encourage you to go back and read ManDak post #13 and #14 of this thread.

It is just that Americans prefer to CC handguns - haven't seem a concealed rifle strapped to the hip of an American in my travels lately.....

Brian

avvidclif
06-10-2015, 07:16 AM
Not true; we like to own long guns and shoot some pretty cool wildlife with them. In fact there are a large contingent of Americans who come here specifically for our hunting and professional guides for exotic animals. Typically handguns are used to shoot people - we frown on that and keep the weapons out of the hands of the less trustworthy - LEOs use that to their advantage up here.

Simply, Canadian laws are written such that handguns are restricted weapons and there are stringent rules and permitting regarding these types of firearms (amongst others). Long guns are less restricted and have less rules and permit requirements.

I encourage you to go back and read ManDak post #13 and #14 of this thread.

It is just that Americans prefer to CC handguns - haven't seem a concealed rifle strapped to the hip of an American in my travels lately.....

Brian

In other words the government doesn't trust it's citizens to own handguns, and barely allows long guns.

Laws are only for the law abiding. I haven't seen a law yet that would stop a criminal.

ILH
06-10-2015, 07:30 AM
In other words the government doesn't trust it's citizens to own handguns, and barely allows long guns.

Laws are only for the law abiding. I haven't seen a law yet that would stop a criminal.

I live in a densely populated Canadian city and I own multiple long guns. It is neither difficult nor unusual to own them in Canada. And yes, I have permits to own them.

avvidclif
06-10-2015, 08:41 AM
I live in a densely populated Canadian city and I own multiple long guns. It is neither difficult nor unusual to own them in Canada. And yes, I have permits to own them.

I don't have to have a permit, period. Handgun or long gun.

jimtoo
06-10-2015, 09:18 AM
OK, now everyone step back, take a deep breath and cool off.

Jim M

lynndiwagoner
06-10-2015, 11:55 AM
I would think that Canada should allow U.S. Citizens who have CCW licenses to carry them across the border on the way to Alaska. You have to jump through many hoops, be fingerprinted, and have a background check before they issue you a license here in Oklahoma. States that don't require a license would be more suspect as anyone can carry a pistol, probably as it should be. I'm pretty sure a Canadian Citizen could shoot someone just as easily with a long gun or shot gun instead of a pistol, just saying.

buddyboy
06-10-2015, 01:50 PM
We both have our CWPs, but are not permitted to carry concealed or open in several states. We comply. We believe that part of the responsibility with gun ownership is knowledge of and compliance with the laws in different locations. It doesn't mean we agree with their laws, merely that while in their borders we are in their jurisdiction. We do not remain in these locations long, and will, in fact, avoid these locations when practical. Guess the bottom line is that gun ownership does come with the responsibility to know when it's not okay to have guns with you. In this case, it's not a disagreement with laws within the USA which are in conflict with the second amendment, but the laws of another country which does not have a similar Constitution.

JMHO

Martha

scottyb
06-10-2015, 03:02 PM
I will honor Canadian laws whenever I get to travel there. It's their sovereign right to make these laws. I just disagree with their logic. Gun laws only affect law abiding citizens. They have no effect on criminals. It is already unlawful for criminals to possess firearms, yet they manage to do so anyway.

lynndiwagoner
06-10-2015, 03:21 PM
I understand...... different country, different culture. I would certainly respect the laws of Canada IF I ever traveled there. I just don't understand the logic. I promise not to say anything else.

ManDak
06-10-2015, 07:35 PM
Firearms as well as marijuna use/possession are always a passionate topics of debate. :) Ironically enough, the US actual has very stringent regulations in regards to the export of arms and ammunition and not as simple of an answer as that Canada should just allow Americans to CC in their country. I understand both sides of the argument and as a everyday Canadian living in Canada I never felt the inkling to own a handgun for protection. After moving to the US, plus the CBSA's recent mandate to arm our Canadian border officers, I do somewhat feel some merit to owning a personal handgun. Why, I'm not even sure, I think more so now that I live in the US, is just because I can?? :confused: So as an American resident I proudly say that I own 2 personal handguns and one lovely mossberg shotgun with pretty birdies on it for going pheasant hunting (a lovely Chirstmas give from my American husband) I am the envy of my Canadian coworker "gun nuts" that I can pretty much go out and buy what I want including the same version of our duty firearm which isn't available for personal possession in Canada due to it's prohibited classification as well as another handgun that would be prohibited in Canada that is small, cute and I call my purple sparkle gun! I do see how guns are somehow like the theory of tattoos - once you have one -you just want more!

beck-mark
08-13-2015, 12:57 AM
I would like to turn this into a more constructive thread. Its on my bucket list to travel the alcan highway one day. I also travel with hand guns but don't want to ship them to Alaska so I can have them there I want a way to leave them in a border state and then get them back when I return to the lower 48. Has anyone got any ideas on this. Ive thought maybe a locker at a bus stop, or a bank lock box. Maybe someone else has done something similar could chime in.

Capt7383
08-13-2015, 07:11 AM
The only thing I would trust would be a bank safety deposit box

Lynn1130
08-13-2015, 09:26 AM
Walking in to a bank with a gun exposed in any way might not be a good idea. Keep in mind that banks have cameras everywhere and pulling one out, even in an area set up for safe deposit boxes might cause an employee to become more than a little suspicious. You may want to check with the bank before renting the box for that purpose. They may have no problems with it and then again...

Wmnmy
08-13-2015, 04:49 PM
We traveled through Canada on our way to Alaska and back with a shotgun with absolutely no issues.

The other three couples with us also had long guns.

We all filled out form RCMP 5589 (http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/visit-visite-eng.htm) and presented them at the border crossings - you will have to go inside and pay the current fee which is good for 90 days and then you're on your way.

This is for long guns only.

You are correct one we often see things around us others don't that just comes with years of experience , two I too have run into people I have had to either arrest or cite and who weren't happy at the time and you don't know what they are thinking of doing to me or my family , three I legally carry everywhere I go with home invasions on the rise , car jackings,robberys at atm machines and young gang members making a name for themselves not worth my life or my families or the good citizens of our great country that's why I took the oath . Plus with what's going on abroad and prior military anything can happen at any place anytime ..."

Lynn1130
08-13-2015, 06:23 PM
I am a former LEO and I do not travel with a firearm everywhere I go. Two of my sons-in-law are current LEO and they do not travel with a firearm everywhere they go. That blanket statement is not correct. There are times when we carry and there are times when we do not. None of us are so paranoid that we need guns at every place and function.

Anything can happen at any place and any time. Part of being a trained observer is to be aware of what is going on around you and avoid problems when it is not necessary or prudent to get involved. Sometimes it is better to be a good witness. Each individual can do what he or she thinks is best but my choice is to avoid problems when I can. I was an LEO for 35 years and worked everything from patrol to narcotics. I worked SWAT (we call it something else) and trained officers is tactical operations. I supervised use of force investigations. In all of that I pulled my weapon so many times I cannot count and used it once. I have never had to use a weapon off duty all of the years I was active or any of the years I have been retired and I live in a metro area of 3.5 million, where you would expect problems.

Imurphy
09-25-2015, 08:09 AM
I am a former LEO, and a resident of Alaska. There is a lot of well lets call it strange info in this thread.

I have driven the Alcan at least one way every year for the last 8 years. Every time I have had firearms with me. There are ways to do it perfectly legal. You just need to understand the rules, and do the paperwork.

If you wish to temporarily store a firearm, a safety deposit box is NOT a good idea. Banks actually have rules against storing firearms and even cash. Storing either such item will be a violation of the agreement, and if they find out whats in there. Dont expect it to be there when you get back. The best way to store a firearm when you have no one you trust to leave it with? A firearms dealer. Many if not most firearm dealers will store for a fee, your firearm. Explore some of the dealers in the area where you want to "drop" your hardware and start talking to them.

Another option is to ship it to you. I often send handguns and other "prohibited" hardware to the other side.

I hold CWP's in almost 32 states, and take advantage of that.

When driving North, I also take advantage of cheaper ammunition in the lower 48. And the fact I can legally transport 5,000 rounds thru Canada. I typically remove 1 round from a random box putting me at 4,999rds. Usually they don't care, a few times they have decided I was up to something and count. Then watch the frustration when they try to find the 1 missing round, after I have told them it was left in the US.

OldTanker
11-18-2015, 03:01 PM
Retired LEO and retired Army Officer. I've been to Canada and had a rather enjoyable time there exploring Victoria Island, once I got past Canadian Customs. I did not transport any firearms there even though I was at that time still serving as a LEO in 1985. I knew I was going to go to Canada when I left so did not take anything with me on that trip. I will not go back to Canada again however given the treatment I had by Canadian Customs Officials.

I was treated to the fishing expedition type of questioning where a single answer was not acceptable. Repeated answers to the same question were also not acceptable. After answering no to the question, do I have anything to protect myself, a total of 4 times I actually produced my Police Department ID card and politely said I understood the prohibition of handguns into Canada and did not bring one with me. The rude Official then snatched the ID from my hand and quized me about the name of the Chief of Police of my department. I gave her his name, the address of the PD and the information phone number. I had to demand the return the ID card as she started to place it into her pocket. since she ignored a request to return it after the quiz.

Since I was riding a motorcycle (BMW), as were my friend and his wife, it was plain we also had no long guns. Out of a very fully packed ferry from Seattle there were a total of 3 vehicles pulled aside for search. The three motorcycles my friends and I were riding. Our possessions were very haphazardly tossed around on the ground and when done with the search the supervisor walked away with a very sarcastic," enjoy your stay in Canada", leaving us to repack or bikes and move on. We were not poorly dressed "biker" folks riding choppers and started the conversation a cordial polite manner.

Shortest Straw
11-18-2015, 04:01 PM
Yes. Absolutely. Without a doubt. You need some kind of self defense everywhere you go these days. On top of that practice with it. I envy you if you think that "it wont happen to me", or "I am in a safe place/aware of my surroundings". Nonsense. It's global, it is getting worse. It's the same everywhere, no sense in getting in a tizzy over whether someone says it about Mexico, Canada or the U.S. Crime is rampant, it is everywhere, and anyone can be a victim. Even if you are not rich, you are all pulling nice fancy rigs with nice shiny pick ups that make you look like you have money. A smart criminal would put you on an auto list especially if you are from another country. A smart criminal would be educated enough to know that the laws are stacked against the law abiding citizen being "allowed" by our governments to carry a weapon. So yes you do need a firearm.

Lynn1130
11-18-2015, 07:15 PM
Yes. Absolutely. Without a doubt. You need some kind of self defense everywhere you go these days

You are a victim if you make yourself a victim. Most all crime is opportunity. If you look like a victim and you are in the right place, at the right time you probably will become a victim.

I have said it before but for the sake of this thread I will say it again. I was a cop for 35 years and in more sketchy situations than most people will every be in and I had to use my gun ONCE. I pulled it many times expecting to use it but fired it ONCE. But that is also because I frequented those bad parts of town that most people here avoided and the radio/computer calls sent me there. As I mentioned I live in a metro area of 3.5+ million people and am out and about often as an ordinary citizen. I have never seen or had an occasion where I needed to pull a weapon.

If you feel safe carrying a gun, go for it but saying that everyone needs one and should carry one is paranoia at its finest. We watch too many TV shows and movies that portray the streets of the U.S. as teaming with bad people ready to cut you up or shoot you at the first chance. BS! that is not real life.

And just a note on "being a victim" we have a sheriff in Maricopa County that spends most of his time speaking at groups in retirement communities because that crowd (us mostly) are paranoid about becoming a victim and they keep electing the nut. The older we get the more we think we are going to be robbed, burglarized, beat up and raped.

Shortest Straw
11-18-2015, 08:46 PM
"If you feel safe carrying a gun, go for it but saying that everyone needs one and should carry one is paranoia at its finest."

If it needs a title so be it I will own it. I rather look at myself as being educated. Many events you encountered were lessened by being a cop showing up in uniform with the pretty lights etc. Not fair to compare that with the average citizen. I worked a paramedic ambulance for long enough to see what people will do to each other ESPECIALLY the elderly who are looked at as weak and helpless. Paranoid... nope intelligent!

Lynn1130
11-18-2015, 10:37 PM
You may have missed the part where I said "often as an orndinary citizen" I can't ever recall showing up as a civilian in a car with lights on it and in uniform. You may have confused two different thoughts in my post. I did not compare the two I specifically separated them.

Im not saying anyone should not carry if they feel it is necessary. What I am saying is that I don't feel it is warranted in most cases. And I will own that statement.

And as an after thought but one I said in another post. Most senior citizens carrying guns take the chance of some 20 year old perp taking it away from them and shooting them with it.

Terry H
11-19-2015, 02:01 AM
Ok....it is time to cool off and time to get back on topic.

Capt7383
11-19-2015, 08:58 AM
I also believe that 99% of the time I will not need a gun. But until I get one of those crystal balls I will carry a gun. I also carry auto insurance but I dont expect to get into an accident

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Capt7383
11-19-2015, 09:03 AM
Oh, one other thing. Joe Arpaio is my hero

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Lynn1130
11-19-2015, 09:26 AM
You might have a different opinion of Arpaio if you talk with the hundreds of honest, ethical deputies that work under him but then if they say anything they will have an internal investigation started on them and be fired for some trumped up charge. Most of them that I know are ashamed of their organization right now.

And I don't think anyone is warmed up. I think there is an honest difference of opinion as to whether one needs to carry a gun in this country. Those that feel there is a need can carry and those that don't do not need to carry. That is one of the "perks" of living in the U.S. you get to make up your own mind and as long as the law allows do what you wish.

And as to on topic, you're right but then when has any thread here remained on topic :)