Towing With Shortbed Truck

REMTA

Is anyone using a shortbed truck to tow a 2015 Big Country and if so are you using a standard hitch or a slider?

Ed

Lynn1130

I think if you do a search you will find a large list of answers to this question here. I am not familiar with the Big Country but if you have the 89 degree turn front cap you will have no problems with the short bed and a non-slider. I have been towing my Cyclone for 4+ years with a shortbed/no slider with no problems at all. Some will tell you they like the peace of mind with the slider but it is not necessary.

Oregon_Camper

I went through the same questions about 5 months ago. A lot of great feedback here on sliders and non slider hitching solutions. In the end, I went with the Airbone Sidewinder, which moves the pivot point of your kingpin back 22 inches. Now I have peace of mind and don't have to worry about all the hassle and all the room a typical slider hitch uses in the back of my truck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkL0CPmqx6U

brianlajoie

I have an ulta glide in my short bed for my Big Horn trailer. I consider it an insurance policy against possible damage to the cab. I also like the adjustable flange on the hitch to prevent any chucking when going down the road.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I'm getting ready to do this right now . . .

We are moving up to a 5th-wheel next week and was advised to get a slider for my 2015 Chevy Siverado 2500HD shortbox.

We worked it into the deal . . . but still not too late to change!

If I were not to get the slider for our new Heartland Prowler P292 . . . what should I get?

Maybe I should start a new thread with that question . . .

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Regardless of the hitch work a MorRyde king pin into the deal. Saves a lot of chucking and bounce. Really smooth ride. See how much my takes up in this pic...
c8b3cdca376c66b649290b3b4dcf62cb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We have pulled two different Big Countrys with two different short bed trucks and a standard hitches (Reese and TrailerMate). The 2008 Big Country we pulled with a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel and the 2012 Big Country (40 feet long) with a 2009 Dodge Ram 3500 single rear wheel.
2008 Big Country.jpgDSCN2886.jpg

B

Boatman

We too have a RAM 3500 Mega Cab, 6-4 box, and tow a Big Horn. Although we have a slider (20k Curt), we have never had to use our slide as a result of the BH front cap design. But, it's better to have and not need. Good luck.

Cjackg

I'm getting ready to do this right now . . .

We are moving up to a 5th-wheel next week and was advised to get a slider for my 2015 Chevy Siverado 2500HD shortbox.

We worked it into the deal . . . but still not too late to change!

If I were not to get the slider for our new Heartland Prowler P292 . . . what should I get?

Maybe I should start a new thread with that question . . .
I have the same truck and use a Curt Q24 hitch and have never needed a slider. If I tried to turn any sharper than 88 degrees the pin box would hit the truck sides first anyway....
The high sides on the GM trucks are also likely to put you into a nose high posture that isn't easily solved...

Lynn1130

I have a Valley PowerPull below the bed rail mounting unit. I did not want to give my bed up to a system that blocked me being able to use the truck bed for something other than a hitch. I have been very happy with it.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I wonder why people are having an issue with bed rail height in the new trucks. When I bought my 2013 GMC C/C DRW L/B, I no issue with clearing the bed rails. I installed the hitch I have used in three trucks without a problem. It's set at the same height as it has always been. Plenty of trailer to bed height, BH sets level and pinbox does not hit the bed rails in a over 90* turn. The front cap never hit the rear of the cab even when I had 2005 a S/B Chevy with the lower bed rails which were almost 2" shorter. My hitch has 3 different height settings. I got tired of all the clunking and banging from the slider, so I removed the slider part and installed the standard hitch head mounts.

Last edited:

rpotter

I have a 2015 f350 diesel srw crew cab shortbed with an undercount Reese elite 18k non slider hitch. I haul a 2015 3570rs big horn and have not had a single issue backing up into some really tight spots. The nose design of these heartlands makes all the difference in the world. Great job guys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk