Insulation Ratings

jimtoo

Hi dawnbarnard,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I suggest you call Heartland Customer Service, 574-262-8030 or 877-262-8032, and ask about the insulation and rating.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
A 3650BH is what coach? On most HL trailers the artic package is an option and not standard equipment. All the "R" values are listed on each of the HL brands for each model. Go to HL website and look up yours.

Thanks for the info!

Hi dawnbarnard,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I suggest you call Heartland Customer Service, 574-262-8030 or 877-262-8032, and ask about the insulation and rating.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

justafordguy

My 3650BH has the Artic Package sticker on the outside and I don't think I paid extra for it. The web site says R11 for the walls and R38 for the roof and floor.

danemayer

The Heartland website shows the tank heaters as part of a larger package. I didn't see mention of heat tape for the fresh water line. You should contact Heartland to find out more precisely what's standard.

The Yeti option, sometimes referred to as the Canadian Arctic option, includes tank heaters, heat tape on the main water line, and extra insulation in front and rear cap. I didn't see any mention of the Yeti option for the GW 3650BH, but perhaps it's available.

Westwind

Insulation & RV's, It's one thing to have floor, wall and ceiling insulation but one must remember that you have slideouts, most times three of them. The only thing between inside and outside is a rubber gasket. While looking at your prospective RV climb under the slideout and stick your finger between the slideout and gasket and you will get an idea of the opening that has just a rubber gasket closing it, on my kitchen slide I can see inside, I've never felt a draft but I wouldn't say it is insulated. My Bighorn was built in 2011 so I don't know if changes have been made. I think this is very common accross all brands, some do better then others with more then one gasket. No one ever seems to mention this issue.

It's just part of the design, you definately don't have house construction nor insulating.

Can you be comfortable, yes you can, many fulltimers live in the Landmark, Bighorn, and Big Country brands without problems but there is an art to it. You can call Heartland and speak to the product manager for your Gateway and get your questions answered, just give them your Vin# and they should be able to help you. It might take a couple of working days to get back to you.

GOTTOYS

Arctic package is just another advertising gimmick. Usually consists of some tank heaters, maybe a little more insulation and the all important decal by the door. Still doesn't have dual pane glass and a guaranty of any kind that you will stay warm at 10 below zero and that no water lines will freeze up. Anything can be heated if you throw enough propane at it.....Don

danemayer

Arctic package is just another advertising gimmick. Usually consists of some tank heaters, maybe a little more insulation and the all important decal by the door. Still doesn't have dual pane glass and a guaranty of any kind that you will stay warm at 10 below zero and that no water lines will freeze up. Anything can be heated if you throw enough propane at it.....Don

Don, I wouldn't call the Yeti/Arctic package a gimmick, but I would agree that if you're going to spend time at -10 F, or -20 or -30 F, you have to do more to keep water running. We don't have the extra Yeti insulation in our 2011 Landmark, but we do have dual pane windows, tank heaters, and a fireplace. We've stayed comfortable on our five extended ski trips to Breckenridge, CO with temps down to -30 F. We've also added heat tape on all water lines and a mini-skirt under the plumbing to keep water running.

Having said that, I would assume there might be significant differences between Landmark and Gateway when it comes to how well they function in extreme weather conditions.