Heartland WD 2175 BH, towing question

mcgee832

Hello everyone, I grew up camping and have recently considered purchasing a camper for the family (wife and 4 yr old son.) Obviously i am drawn to Heartland as they stand above all the competition that I have seen. My biggest concern is towing. I have a 2008 Nissan Frontier Nismo 4x4 with a rated 6100 lbs towing cap. I really like the WD 2375 Bt but at a dry weight of #5645 it has to be too much? Right? I don't think i would be "settling" for the WD 2175 BH because it is very nice as well but at #4685 is that the safer way to go, still too heavy or does it make a difference?

i will have electric brakes and sway bars. also my truck has a tranny cooler. Any experienced info would be grateful! Thanks

danemayer

Hi mcgee832,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Something to consider is that the dry weight spec may not be the actual weight when the trailer leaves the factory floor. Each unit is weighed before it goes out the factory door, and a yellow sticker with actual weight is applied to the door frame. If you're looking at a particular unit, you can see what it actually weighs before your stuff is added.

Keep in mind that your stuff, along with any water and propane, adds quite a bid of weight. It's safer to base your towing plans on the GVWR, rather than the empty weight. The WD 2375 BH has a GVWR of 6,900 lbs.

To get a more detailed view of weights and towing issues, visit Fifth Wheel Safe Towing (also includes info for travel trailers).

EPaulikonis

If you're new to towing, please be sure to understand that the tow rating on the vehicle usually assumes that the truck is completely empty (no cargo), with 1 passenger at 150lb., the fluids and fuel tank full, and that's what yields the max tow weight listed for the vehicle. Anything you add, your spouse, your son, clothes, BBQ, bikes, dog, etc. eat away at the "rated 6,100lb." listed in the brochure.

Dan also brings up a great point since the dry trailer weight is usually much less than what an empty trailer from the factory will actually weigh. Even the WD 2175 BH will be more than the Nissan can handle safely.

Best of luck on your search for a Heartland. Safe camping!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
JMHO, you need a bigger TV. If you decide to buy a bigger TV....keep this in mind....always buy more than you need. If in a few years you decide to move up to a bigger trailer. You already have the TV to pull it. You never want to have to buy a bigger TV everytime you move up. Tooo many $$$$$ lost. If you can swing it, move up to 250-2500 truck...a diesel engine TV is the best for the long run.