? 4 2900MK Owners

flyfishing48

Hi,
I posted this earlier this morning, but it seems to be in cyber space somewhere.
We have ordered a new 2009 Sundance 2900MK:D.
I have a few questions I am hoping to find the answers two here on this forum.
1) Has anyone measured the height of their 2900MK. The literature says"less than 12'" We store our current 5er indoors and hope to do the same with the Sundance. The door is a 12 foot door and the current 5er is spec'd to be 11'8" and it rubs the molding when it goes through. I am hoping that having the air conditioner further back on the camper will result in a lower height.
2) Has anyone weighed their coach. I am concerned about the pin weight as I plan to tow with a 2500HD Duramax. The literature reflects a pin weight of 1875lbs and that is getting close to my GVWR
3) Is anyone out there towing one of these with a 2500 HD without airbags or Timbrens?
I have only been on this forum a few days and have found a ton of info. This looks like a great forum.
Thanks in advance for any input.:)
Tom & Glo

Last edited:

Freckles

Founding New York Chapter Leader-Retired
We own a 2008 2900mk and plan to measure mine when weather got better and the cover was off!! Also I added a AirMax to mine which makes it even higher.I have a GMC 2002 2500HD without any airbags or timbrens and it doesn't move much at all and looks very level!!Plan to subscribed to this thread so I can see what input comes!!You will like the 2009 wish I had waited and not bought in the fall.

Freckles

Founding New York Chapter Leader-Retired
If you do a search on RV.net put in 2900mk the 4th one down might also answer your ?

fishn2dmax

I have an 08 2900 MK and pull with a GMC 2500 HD duramax with no problems! I pulled a few months without airbags, but decided to add airbags to keep the headlights level. While not required to pull the 2900 MK, the airbags did improve the quality of the ride when towing the 2900MK.

I have the optional 6000lb axles and 16" wheels and I know my 2900 MK is much higher than 12' at the highest point. I have a large tree limb that spans across my driveway entrance to my home - measures 13' at it's lowest point. I scared myself once as it looked up to see what looked like the tree limb hitting the roof, so I stopped and went up to top to verify. While it didn't hit the roof, it came very close ( within a few inches). If you ordered the standard 15" wheels, you should be at or very close to 12' at the highest point. If you have the 16" wheels, you will be above 12' in total height.

I did scale my Sundance and while it was heavier than what the factory stated, I had 1/2 tank water in the coach and the trailer was loaded with our normal camping items in the front storage compartment. As I recall the pin weight was just under 2000 lbs and total weight just over 9000 lbs- not too bad for a triple slide 5'er. After towing the Sundance vs my previous 5'er that weighed 1500 lbs less, I much prefer towing the Sundance! I actually realize better MPG's on the interstate with the larger Sundance - Go figure?

Netem

I too have the 2900 MK and pull with a 2500 HD Chev Duramax. The truck pulls the trailer great, better than our old 28 ft 5vr. I am pulling without the air bags but I am thinking of putting them on just to make it easier on the truck springs. Haven't had time to check the height yet but its lower than our old trailer . A friend lowers his tires when he puts his trailer in the barn then airs them back up once inside.

flyfishing48

Sitting Tight for now

Thanks for the input everyone. Looks like the best thing to do is to sit tight and see what it tows like. Our present 5er only had 1200 pounds on the hitch and was around 8,000 loaded so the 2900 MK should feel a lot different towing. Our coach is due to be here the middle of next week so I won't be waiting too long. :D I just wish the snow and cold would quit.
I feel pretty certain I will end up with at least new adjustable shocks or airbags.
As far as the height goes I'll just have my wife back up to the garage real slow and watch from my perch on the step ladder. If it is just a matter of an inch or so I can rework the floor and approach apron to get the needed height.

I have an 08 2900MK. I has the 16 inch tire option, A/C and maxi vent covers. I pull easily with an Ford 07 250 SD 6.0 leaker with 18 inch tires. The trailer is perfectly level on my Reese 16K hitch. I am at 12' 11 1/2" at the forward vent cover.

I had a clearance problem getting into my barn. Nothing a Bobcat couldn't fix, however.

- Jack

flyfishing48

cannoncocker
12" 11 1/2"ow WOW! that is a lot over <12". Less than 13' would be accurate advertising in your case. I sure hope it's the height of your truck that has it so high.
Do you use air bags?

No Tom, no air bags. Somewhere in the literature I have accumulated, it states add 9" for A/C. Like A/C is an option most folks do without. I'll look again. Plan on close to 13 feet however.

- Jack

dtomlinson

We have the 3200ES Sundance and the height should be similar. I have a storage building with a door that is about 12'-2" high. I was concerned about it going through the door, so had my dealer bring on out before I ordered mine and it went through with about 5" to 6" to spare. The one that I ordered and bought does also, plus I ordered it with the 16" tires and heavier 6000# axles. I have not actually measured it, but it must be 11'-11" or less.

I tow with a Chev 2500HD D/A CC pickup with a 51gal Aux tank and toolbox in back of truck. On a recent 2 month trip, I weighed on the way home with all fuel tanks full, water tank full, all our traveling gear plus all my wife's purchases in lower compartment. We were 40# over on rear axle and about 1000# over the 9200 GVWR total on pickup. This is about as heavy as we will ever be with this unit. I had weighed before the trip with just full water and fuel tanks and was only 140# over on total GVWR, but was almost 1000# under on rear axle GVWR of pickup. I installed the MorRyde pin box and bought air bags, but do not have them installed as yet. My rig handles very well and pulls great through the mountains. I averaged about 11.7 mpg on the 4800 mile trip. I will be installing larger tires on the pickup to handle a little more weight.

flyfishing48

Brought home the new 5er last Friday. With the snow melting this morning I measured the height. It appears that the highest point is at the shower sky light. I get 11' 7" at that point. The trailer is sitting level and when hooked up I expect it is down about 1".
Should fit in my storage building opening just fine. Whew!
Now to load it up and weigh it.

jbeletti

Thanks Tom. Another member mentioned that something may have been inop on this particular thread so I posted a test. Your rely confirms that my test post was readable and that the it remains Reply-able (a new word!).

ptillett

Guys with the 2500 HDs, what kind of fuel milage are you getting towing the 2900MK. We have a 2900MK too (love it). We also have a 2500 HD, gas engine, 6 ltr. She pulls fine, not nice on the MPG! :)

We were wondering if desiel would be worth it. (price per gallon vs. mpg). I know the desiel will out pull in the mountains, no doubt. She struggled a little on the really good mountains this weekend crossing WV (I know, it's not the rockies...).

flyfishing48

I have the diesel and for mileage, my worst is just over 10 mpg on hilly or headwinds. Best is 14mpg on the flat, no wind and 60MPH. I use the truck computer and hand calc.
12 is about what I normally get.

fishn2dmax

My most recent trip we traveled 640 Miles RT with some mountain terrian in Utah. I towed my fully loaded 2900 MK with an 03 2500 HD Duramax diesel 4x4 CC SB and averaged 13 MPG for whole trip. I do need to clarify this type of mileage was only acheived due to my larger 4" exhaust, cheesebox air intake / larger air filter and Juice Edge box ( chip) set in level one ( fuel economy mode). I have a real heavy foot, so If I was able to back the speed down to 65 MPH or less, I know I would have achieved 15 MPG. Formely, I owned a gasser V-10 super duty Ford. Pulling a much smaller 5'er, I never achieved more than 9 MPG and had far less power than with the duramax diesel.

ptillett

Thanks for the info, guys. We did put a cold air intake on the 2500 HD and it did help a little on the mpg. Not sure it was worth the $$. :) I think we might just hold onto this one until we need to upgrade. Then I would consider a desiel.