gen prep

Not sure if this is the correct place for this question- but I'll give it a try. When I ordered my 08 Bighorn 3400RL I ordered the gen prep package. I cannot find what all was included in that. I mean- of course I can see the compartment and all, but of most concern is a transfer switch that will protect the coach in case the generator was inadvertantly started while plugged in to shore power. I don't know what I'd be looking for if I looked. Anyone know if that is part of that package? I'm about install a generator so any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

fivernine

Generator prep

Steve, in January of this year I looked first at a Landmark that had generator prep and then bought one that did not, but had my generator moved over from the camper I traded in. The difference I found was that the prepped unit already had an Onan starter switch/hour meter panel mounted in the control panel inside the camper by the door. I also seem to recall that it had a transfer switch prewired into the gen cabinet and the door of the cabinet had louvers for air flow and the cabinet was divided and insulated with fiberglass panel. This is my best recollection. I had to pay for all that in the one I bought--several hundred dollars in parts.
--Rick

caddojay

Tired and Retired member
Yes, that's what is included in the gen-prep. All wiring and plugs are in place for a simple installation. We also had our Onan transferred from previous unit to Bighorn. The process to move was about 4 hours. We had a glitch in the unit starting. It would not continue to run on full power and would trip the Onan breakers. After the Tech spent another hour, he found that one of the ground wires was "nicked" in the electrical box in the compartment for the generator. 5 minutes and some shrink tubing to repair the gen prep glitch fixed the problem. We chose the installed generator over the 2 Honda style generators because DW could start the unit from inside and we wouldn't have to leave the generators exposed.