Sundance 2800 rls

garym

I am considering ordering a 2009 Sundance 2800 rls.
Does anyone own this model?
I would appreciate any input as to quality, and dealership where purchased.
This will be my first 5th wheel. I have owned TT's
ThanksNone
garym

dewwood

I have the RL2700 which is the same layout except ours does not have the bedroom slide(I wish it did). We have been very happy with our unit, we purchased it in July of last year and have made several trips with it and so far have not had any real problems. The fit and finish for a unit in this price category is excellent, we looked at a lot of units before deciding on the Sundance and have not regretted our decision at all.

We dealt with Lakeshore RV in Muskegon, MI and felt like we received a good deal and the service dept was excellent when we picked the unit up. We spent the better part of a day there having some additional items added to the trailer. I would recommend both the Sundance and Lakeshore to anyone. I would or will return there when we decide to upgrade.

StevieWonder

I own the 2008 2800RLS.

As a previous motorhome owner, I was a bit disappointed with the relative quality of workmanship but my prepurchase research showed that this is true for all the other brands as well. Of course the $$$ involved are considerably different which explains the obvious differences.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather spend an extra $500 and have little things like the leaking showers and misconnected heater ducts done right versus me having to take the time and the money to return to a dealer for warranty work. These are not isolated incidents but, as verified on this forum, are all too frequently encountered. There are some nice improvements in the 2009 models that have addressed some of my issues but I'm particularly unhappy about the continued use of cheesy Chinese trailer tires. Put some darn 16" wheels on as factory standard and mount some real light-truck tires that don't have a long, documented history of exploding. It's a TON cheaper than repairing ripped up body work not to mention the hassle of roadside problems and a possibly ruined trip. Seriously, $500 additional expense on a $30K+ fifth wheel versus all the substantial negatives is just inexplicable.

I also wish there was a "matress delete" option. My first purchase was to go to a bedding store and buy a real, quality mattress that doesn't feel like a reject from Motel 6. Why would I want to spend $30Kish on a trailer that sleeps like it's a parkbench?

Bottom line ... Heartland's product is as good as any and better than most. It will be better made than what you're used to with your TT and is upper tier in industry in terms of build quality.

One additional thing ... the RV industry is TOTALLY different from the automotive industry in the area of warranty work. You'll find there is a strong issue with dealers doing work on trailers they didn't sell. At the best you are at the bottom of the priority list. There are federal regulations that regulate the automotive industry manufacturer's warranty. That is apparently not the case in the RV trailer industry.

WE just picked up our 2009 Sundance March 26 and have not have a chance to take it out yet. We traded in another brand and feel that the Sundance is a notch above it. We looked at several other brands and kept coming back to the Sundance. We had some small issues such as a tear in the sofa which I think was done by the dealer when the plastic cover was removed. They called on Friday and said the material was in to have it reupholstered. There are several new options that are good ideas; the ceiling fan, the larger water heater, the larger refrigerator, the enclosed valves, the slide out drawers in the pantry. We had purchased a better mattress for our older camper and swapped it for the new mattress in the camper so I can't speak on the quality of the new mattress. We think we made a good deal. The dealer is Steven's RV in Lafayette, La. They are an older reliable dealer in this area. Can't wait to use some of the free camping they gave us with the purchase. I think you will be pleased with the Sundance.