Heavy Rains

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have had so much rain recently in the Houston Texas area that there is a earthen dam at a reservoir on Longstreet in the Willis (north of Houston) area that is threatening to fail. If that happens there will be major flooding in that immediate area. One thing that is threatened is the Bishop's Landing Resort, an RV Park on Longstreet. The reservoir is used for cooling for the Reliant Energy Power Plant. They have been working on it for the last several days trying to strengthen the ground which is super saturated. There is a number of spots where some of the earth has already fallen away and there is plastic covering the ground. BTW the weather prediction for Saturday, Sunday and Monday is more rain with the possibility of 4-6 more inches. As very dangerous situation for those in harm's way.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Was gonna ask you if you knew the farmer that was trying to save his barn the other night when the trinity River went out the levee there in Dayton. Was also saying that 105 where it crosses was also flooded or atleast the turn arounds were

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmgratz

No I don't know the farmer. Liberty is about 75 miles east of Willis. The problem in addition to the rain is the Trinity River. It feeds into Lake Livingston and they have all of the flood gates open. The release is causing the flooding in Liberty and other areas downstream from the Lake Livingston dam. Not open is Lake Livingston full but all of the rain north from around Dallas travels down the Trinity to Lake Livingston adding to the problem. To top that all off they are predicting much more rain for the next 3 days which will even add to the problem. Areas north of Lake Livingston around Riverside/Trinity area are flooding too. Deep River Plantation west of Trinity TX is flooded as is the houses in the area on Doug Bell Road between Riverside and Trinity. We will hope for some dry days to let the lake level off. We are safe and our house is two.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
For some reason I was thinking you were closer to liberty area.

olcoon

It's either feast of famine! When we go to Texas in the winter, we'll usually stop for a few days at Lake Lavon, near Mathis. The lake has always been Way low. Sounds like all the lakes are now flooding! We live outside Kansas City, MO and have been getting a lot of rain also, and for the net week it's supposed to be raining almost every day. Not looking forward to that! Fortunately where we live if we get flooded, I think we'll be seeing the Arc floating by, hope Noah has room for a couple more people & a cat!!!

'Lil Guy'

When rivers and lakes here in south east Texas start to crest and more rain is in the forecast, people need to be aware of their elevation. Lots of land is in the flood plain and they are the ones who should be the most watchful. We have insurance for this reason but don't let yourself get caught in rising wter with no way out. Don't want to see you in a rescue boat on the news channel. Seriously, if you live in one of these fllood prone areas, no when to get out.

MagnoliaTom

We have had so much rain recently in the Houston Texas area that there is a earthen dam at a reservoir on Longstreet in the Willis (north of Houston) area that is threatening to fail. If that happens there will be major flooding in that immediate area. One thing that is threatened is the Bishop's Landing Resort, an RV Park on Longstreet. The reservoir is used for cooling for the Reliant Energy Power Plant. They have been working on it for the last several days trying to strengthen the ground which is super saturated. There is a number of spots where some of the earth has already fallen away and there is plastic covering the ground. BTW the weather prediction for Saturday, Sunday and Monday is more rain with the possibility of 4-6 more inches. As very dangerous situation for those in harm's way.

I saw that on the news last night. Lake Conroe is almost at record level and that dam looks pretty precarious. I'm not sure folks outside of our area, especially out of state, truly understand how much rain we are getting. I'm in magnolia and a lot of our creeks are so full that pretty soon some of the roads will be closed due to the high water.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
It's either feast of famine! When we go to Texas in the winter, we'll usually stop for a few days at Lake Lavon, near Mathis. The lake has always been Way low. Sounds like all the lakes are now flooding! We live outside Kansas City, MO and have been getting a lot of rain also, and for the net week it's supposed to be raining almost every day. Not looking forward to that! Fortunately where we live if we get flooded, I think we'll be seeing the Arc floating by, hope Noah has room for a couple more people & a cat!!!

Roy, Lavon is now completely full and they are releasing water from it!! They are predicting 2-4 inches again over next few days, so we are under a flood watch.

jmgratz

Just got put under a flash flood watch with 2-11 inches of rain predicted between now and Tuesday morning. I think we are beginning to grow webbed feet. LOL

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We're in Boerne and also under a flash flood watch until tomorrow afternoon. The heavy cloud cover also knocks out satellite reception.

HornedToad

The forecast of heavy rains caused this diehard knucklehead to do something I have rarely ever done. I canceled my planned Memorial Day weekend trip to the Hill Country and stayed home. At least I'll be able to watch TV.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We've been getting non-stop rain here in Colorado for almost three weeks now!

We've had a lot of flooding, although today the sun came out for a few minutes.

Hope that is a sign of things to come!

On my way home tonight I drove by some farmers fields that were completely under water . . . one of them the water was flowing like a river through the fields!

We are lucky that our house is on a hill so we don't get any flooding on our street.

scottyb

Mike, it's probably for the best. We have had tornado WARNINGS (Doppler indicated,not confirmed) west of Austin. One went right over Mansfield Dam area. Another passed over us on the Pedernales. They were urging people in RV's to take cover. Never saw anything or even had high wind at our place. Just tons of rain. Reports say Pedernales at flood stage and flowing at 35000 CFS in Johnson City. LCRA just alarmed that they will begin releasing water at Max Starke Dam (Marble Falls) into Lake Travis. This is probably due to yesterday's flooding on the Llano River, since tonight has mostly effected the Pedernales and Blanco Rivers. I will drive over to the Pedernales bridge tomorrow and see if the boat docks are still there, or not.

Chippendale

I am attending the same rally in Boerne, TX that Jayc is, and we have had tons of rain. A lady called into a San Antonio TV station and said several RVs washed away from a park on the Blanco River in or near Blanco, TX and 24 people were safe and taking shelter in an old barn. She said she was a full timer and of course lost everything. In this part of the world, it is always either droughts or flooding.

The creek that flows through Boerne was touching the bottom of the bridge on the main street a couple of hours ago and might be going over it by now. The park we are in is on high ground, so no flooding, just puddling. The wind blew my flags and flag pole off the back of my trailer.

My NOAA weather radio is now announcing that there will be more rain and flooding in the next few hours during the night plus a tornado watch is in effect for our area until 3AM.

dlw930

George, was the washout at Blanco State Park or at a private park? We're in our S&B up north in Johnson Co. It's raining hard early this morning and appears to be from here to south of San Antonio. We've had 15 inches of rain so far this month. You guys be safe! If you're on high ground, just stay put!

HornedToad

Scotty,

Unfortunately your earlier prediction of the boat docks washing down the Pedernales into Lake Travis may hold true.

I heard about the tornado warnings from my daughters in Austin, they were out and went to Amy's Ice Cream hoping to hide in the freezer if things got ugly.

You folks in the Hill Country stay safe!!!

alethaj

We are in the Conroe/Willis are. Weather is nasty this morning and has been for weeks. Prayers for all of our camping friends.

scottyb

Scotty,

Unfortunately your earlier prediction of the boat docks washing down the Pedernales into Lake Travis may hold true.

I heard about the tornado warnings from my daughters in Austin, they were out and went to Amy's Ice Cream hoping to hide in the freezer if things got ugly.

You folks in the Hill Country stay safe!!!

This morning the Pedernales River from the Hwy 71 bridge.

Attachments

• IMAG0483.jpg
    IMAG0483.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 59
  • IMAG0484.jpg
    IMAG0484.jpg
    736.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMAG0482.jpg
    IMAG0482.jpg
    730.7 KB · Views: 72

scottyb

This is what the Pedernales looked like before, from further down river, near the confluence with the Colorad River.

Attachments

• lake-travis-drought-1.jpg
    lake-travis-drought-1.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 56

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I got a speeding ticket ($200) in Blanco a few years back. :confused:

I was warned at the rental car pickup at the San Antonio airport about that . . . but I still got nabbed! :mad:

TexasCowboyChurch-P9150028.jpg