Big Horn washer Dryer prep for vent????

etcmss

we are preparing to install a washer dryer combo unit and based on the forum we are selecting a vented Splendide unit.
Our 3260 EL has the washer dryer prep---I found the water supplies but where is the dryer vent?
From my limited looking inside the removable back panel it does not seem to be there-----Installation??? location and general info would be appreciated.
Gary

danemayer

Hi Gary,

The dryer vent is usually installed when the dryer is installed. If a factory install the factory puts it in. If dealer install, the dealer puts it in. If self-install, you get to put it in.

You might want to call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. I'd expect they can give you advice on the location.

Several people have installed their own vents so I expect you'll get some advice shortly on how to do it.

Don't forget to put in an overflow drain pan and overflow hose.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I just installed a stacked system. I was not exactly sure where to drill the 4" hole for the vent, so I used a couple of methods to determine where to drill.
A while back when we still had some dewy mornings I looked at the outside wall of the rig and could see dew everywhere but where the aluminum studs were. Well, some of them. I marked their locations with a pencil on the outside wall. I measured from the window that we have and then transferred that measurement to the inside.
I had to remove a carpeted panel that is used to hide plumbing and electrical wires as they run the length of the coach. This is where I ran my drain line for the overflow pan. In that area I found a cut out in the wall and used a stiff wire to probe the foam insulation. I did this to verify other measurements I had.
Did a few more measurements and then marked the wall. I made a cross inside the 4" circle that I had drawn on the wall and used a small drill in that area to verify that there were no studs.
Then I drilled the 4" hole, but only partially. Once I got the pilot hole through the outside skin I went out and ran my drill in reverse to score the hole, then proceeded to drill all the way.
Hope this gives you a little info.

Peace
Dave

Garypowell

I agree with calling the factory but they might tell you there is a sticker on the wall where to drill. My guess is it was not put on the wall or fell off. But if it is there you still cannot trust it. You have to remember who put it there.

In my discussion with the factory I was told they had done a study and even if I drilled completely through a stud all would be OK.

So I trusted the sticker fore and aft and had to adjust up and down to better fit my install (same Splendide unit as yours). I had no problem with the up and down position but ran into about 1/2 of a stud towards the aft. But based on what I was told I kept on going.

After about two years still no problems with half a stud gone

Cookie's idea of dew is great.....if you can get it now. I think I have read where others have been successful with a stud finder.....I was on the road for my install and as I said.....trusted the sticker.

Just measure, measure, measure. And then show someone what you have figured out. If it makes sense to them too....then you'll probably be OK. The best news is on the outside dryer vent there is a fair amount of coverage if the hole is a little ugly. And inside....well only you will see it.

Good luck.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
A Zircon TriScanner stud finder will detect the metal wall framing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

etcmss

Thanks for the responses--I will proceed to find/mark and then install the dryer vent. The water lines are there, the overflow wall unit is there and it appears to have an overflow water drain. I'll go test it.
Gary

danemayer

The wall drain is usually for normal draining of the washer. You'll want a floor drain pan under the washer in case anything ever leaks. The floor pan normally has a separate drain that goes outside.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I doubt that your rig is plumbed for the overflow pan drain. You will have to do it yourself when adding the pan.
Here is a picture of the drain line that I installed. It exits the floor under the dresser and goes through the battery compartment. Your layout will be a little different.

Peace
Dave

Attachments

• d20150430_174344.jpg
    d20150430_174344.jpg
    624.8 KB · Views: 89