Help me give a warm Heartland Welcome to Washington's newest HOC Members!

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Hey all, please help me give a warm Heartland Welcome to Scott Ruby and Tina McLean from Moose Pass Alaska who are Washington's newest Chapter members. They are the owners of a 2008 Bighorn and hopefully enjoying the heck out of it!

Welcome Scott and Tina!!

Rod Ditrich

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Welcome from soaked swla. Hope to see yall in the lower 48 sometime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grampafish

Washington Chapter Leaders-Retired
Welcome Tina and Scott. Hope to meet you one of these days. Moose Pass doesn't look to far from Anchorage. When we finally make our Al-Can Highway trip, we'll be in touch.

Last edited:

BigDaddy

Founding Alabama Chapter Leaders-Retired
Welcome to the family!! You're welcome in Alabama anytime! We toured Alaska in 2013 with our Landmark -awesome trip!! "Y'all come see us!"

jdfishing

Welcome to the Heartland family. You will soon find this group is full of some really great people. Hope you can make one of the Wash. rallys, or any Heartland rally. Rod and Kelly do a first class job.

AKDallBH

Our home in Moose Pass is 100 miles south of Anchorage, but only 15 minutes from the boat launch on the upper Kenai!

AKDallBH

Well the 22nd of this month will be the one year anniversary of us buying the Bighorn. It has been a interesting year.

The plan was that I would retire in August, sell a house we had in Anchorage, and leave in September to spend the winter "outside" visiting friends and family. It worked well until we hit the road.

In Tok, just before the canadian border, the landing gear failed and the 5vr dropped about 6-7 inches. We got it jacked up and back on the truck and continued on. Two weeks later, by the time we made it to Tacoma (we were headed to sequim), it became obvious that major damage had been done. After 3 months in a shop, and a substantial payment by the insurance company it was fixed. In the mean time, we had bought a utility trailer, unpacked the 5vr (took insurance a month to decide to fix or total the unit and we couldn't wait in a hotel that long), and driove home. In March we drove back out, picked up the bighorn, and continued on the trip to Texas to visit Tina's family.

In Northern California, we came around a corner headed down a hill, when a semi decided he needed to pass another semi coming up the grade. Two lanes, three rigs, and we were the smallest. Luckily there was a gravel bail out area, unfortunately, there was a 5-6 inch drop off the pavement. At the time we didn't realize the damage that had been done, on we went and had a great, but wet visit in Texas. Headed for home, we stopped for the night in Salinas, KS. The overhang was seperating on the side, and the front cap was sagging (again). Hauled it back to a shop in Wichita. Found a GREAT shop there (Kellog RV), and the insurance is covering the repair, again. Currently wife drove back home with our big dog, I took the little dog and our cat to Sequim to visit my parents. It should be repaired by the end of June, and I will go pick it up and head for home again.

We love the bighorn, and especially the layout, but there have been times this year we would have traded it for a VW camper van!

This forum over the past year has been invalueble to me fixing or understanding the various systems. Now that we are keeping the Bighorn, we upgraded our membership from the free to a full time!

If anyone has questions about Alaska, let me know, and if you come by Moose Pass or Seward, let us know.

Scott

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Scott and Tina,

Sorry to hear about your troubles you've had during the past year. Hopefully they are all behind you now and you have nothing but good times ahead. Hope to see you at a rally sometime!

Rod