SOLVED: Help! My lights stopped working and on cross country tour with kids!!

Hi Heartlanders! Happy Memorial Day!

I hope some of you are reading over the holiday weekend as we're in a bind here. It's holiday weekend and not sure how many techs are available so hoping to troubleshoot this myself. I'm in New Orleans as part of a 15,000 mile Family Book Tour and my main lights don't work to the North Trail Travel Trailer. What DOES WORK is the blinkers and hazard lights. not sure if that means anything. But when i turn the headlights on it does not light up the main lights on the trailer.

any advice on how to troubleshoot this? I'm thinking of cleaning all the connectors with alcohol and q tips for starters.

thanks all!! we'll be at the Heartland Rally next month! hope to see ya there!

Jamie
Author, A Bicycle Built for Two Billion

dewwood

Re: Help! My lights stopped working and on cross country tour with kids!!

I think you are on the right track. Try spraying some WD 40 or similar product into the sockets and try that. It cleans and increases electrical conductivity. It could be something more serious but a large percentage of the time that will fix light problems.

Sadly, that did not help. I'll try again with more wd40 later. i have brake lights, turn signals/hazards. but the rest nada. thanks for the help. anyone w ideas im all ears. off to swim w/ kids and pray for an answer :)

Jamie

Flyerone

Are the lights working on your tow vehicle? If so it's definitely a connection issue, check for a loose or broken connection.

Thanks Tom and Sondra, going to search for a loose wire now w/ a local guy at the KOA. thanks I'll keep ya posted!

OEFVET

If its a loose connection add dielectric grease to all connections. Local auto parts store will have it. Good to carry with you.

OEFVET

Also I have seen where a bad ground will allow hazards to work but not running lights. So recommend checking the ground on the trailer.

Thanks everyone, looks like we found a loose wire and they are working again! the nice guys at the KOA helped a lot here in New Orleans.

thanks y'all!

Jamie