760 Garmin w/camera

laprez

Any thoughts on this option? The reviews on Amazon are all over the place - some really love and some really hate.

Thx

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
So far my 760 has worked well. I didn't get the camera option. I like the up ahead feature for knowing where fuel and rest areas are located.

danemayer

I've had the Garmin RV760 LMT for several years and love it. The LMT model comes with free map updates which is really important because map data errors and road changes are one of the biggest problems with all GPS devices.

My RV profile is set for 13'3" which always routes me around any low clearances. The "Up Ahead" function shows Rest Stops, Restaurants, and Fuel on the course ahead.

The RV Park database is excellent. Search for a specific RV Park, changing the search area to the location of that park, and you can lock right into your destination.

There are many more nice features, but those are the ones I find most helpful.

I also don't have the camera.

Mrsfish

I've had the Garmin RV760 LMT for several years and love it. The LMT model comes with free map updates which is really important because map data errors and road changes are one of the biggest problems with all GPS devices.

My RV profile is set for 13'3" which always routes me around any low clearances. The "Up Ahead" function shows Rest Stops, Restaurants, and Fuel on the course ahead.

The RV Park database is excellent. Search for a specific RV Park, changing the search area to the location of that park, and you can lock right into your destination.

There are many more nice features, but those are the ones I find most helpful.

I also don't have the camera.

Dan,do you still use the garmin over your gps system in your new truck?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I'm curious about how the Garmin RV GPS units compare to the Rand McNally RV GPS's . . .

I have a Rand McNally RV5510 GPS, and while it has been pretty good so far, I've had it replaced twice.

I got it as a Christmas present on Christmas Day, 2012 . . . and that very day we left for our new 2013 Trail Runner's maiden voyage . . . and the unit was defective right out of the box.

The Camping World where Santa purchased it was about 10 miles from where we were staying, so the next day we returned it (thanks to Santa for providing a gift receipt :eek: ) and swapped it for another one.

It didn't come with the Lifetime Maps, so this past January before we left for the Arizona HOC Rally I purchased the Lifetime Maps ($90) and downloaded the past two years of updates and no problems.

A month or so later while I was doing an update, a message popped up saying that there was a new map update!

So when I finished the regular update, I unplugged the unit from the computer and turned it on . . . then turned it off and reconnected it to the computer.

It took about a half hour for it to download the new Map update . . . and when it was in the middle of installing . . . it crashed the unit and I got a 'corrupt device' message on the screen.

So I called the Rand McNally hotline, and they told me that since my unit was out of warranty that I was out of luck . . . which didn't sit well with me! :mad:

I then said to the RM person that had I known that the Lifetime Map purchase was going to crash my unit that I would have bought a new unit that included the Lifetime Maps instead of blowing my $90 for a download that not only did I get little use out of . . . but also damaged my unit as well.

She put me on hold for a few minutes, then when she came back she said that they would email me an RA number so that I could ship it back so they could fix it.

In the end, for some reason it was beyond repair, so it was replaced with a refurbed unit and my Lifetime Maps was transfered to it.

While I thank them for replacing my bad unit . . . this new one does not work as well as the old one.

It takes forever to boot up when I turn it on . . . and I have to touch the screen several times to get it to do what I ask of it.

danemayer

Dan,do you still use the garmin over your gps system in your new truck?

Yes. I prefer the Garmin operation compared to the RAM GPS interface. The Garmin database of Points of Interest is much more useful to me. And I have the Garmin on the dashboard in my line of sight, mounted on the beanbag option. I've tried using the console GPS a few times and find that I don't like taking my eyes off the road.

dlw930

I just got the 760LMT with backup camera this spring. We like the GPS, but just sent the camera back to Garmin b/c I couldn't get a video image from the camera, even with the wireless transmitter 3 ft from the receiver. So, if you buy the camera, make sure it works before you install it on your coach. Also, the transmitter must be 45 ft or less from the receiver. If your coach is more than 35 ft long, you will probably need the extension cable. I plan to mount mine around the front storage area on my 5er using the extension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

olcoon

I don't own one, but thought I'd chime in with my $10.00 worth, valued at $.02. Through the years I've owned several GPS units, for hiking/hunting, and on the road, all Garmin. As far as I'm concerned, Garmin has the best units out there. I haven't owned another brand, but have talked to numerous people that have, and listening to their complaints, problems, etc. have decided to stick with Garmin. They seem to be more accurate, important out in the woods, or GeoCaching, have free software updates, and most of them now come with lifetime maps & traffic. The units that come built into vehicles I feel are a POS, when it comes time to update it, you have to buy a new sd card, and the cost of it is about what you'd pay for a new Garmin GPS, that has free updates for life! DW recently bought a new RAV-4 with the GPS in it. I got to looking into it's coverage area, and basically it only has coverage in the major cities. It was kind of looking at a cell phone coverage area. I've heard a lot of bad stuff about the the Rand McNally unit. BTW, I think that all GPS makers get their maps from basically one source/company, and that no matter which one you buy you'll have the same maps. I've talked to Garmin about a problem I had with their map, and they referred me to a 3rd party company that they buy their mapping from.

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
The RV 760 LMT is the latest in a long line of Garmin products for me. I bought and still use the original Garmin 12 for use in the woods or trails. Has helped get me to and from deer stands many times.

MTPockets

I had the Rand McNally about 2 yrs and had problems with the unit cutting out. It finally stopped working. I got the Garmin 760 and now in second year with lifetime updates, it has been great. I also have an old Garmin, maybe 10 yrs old and it still hums along good as new... Garmin is the only one I trust for quality.

dlw930

Dan, your link took me to a different thread, not Bob's review.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Dan's link is good. That is the news letter that the review was published in on page 16. I am not an expert but I wrote what I knew at that time.

I have owned a number of Garmin GPS's and I wouldn't want to travel with out my RV760. I do not find that it actually will route me around low underpasses. In fact I tested it one time and it led me under a 10ft bridge and did not say anything. I am using 2015.3 map version and BaseCamp software by Garmin. I plot out my routes on BaseCamp and upload it to the 760. I keep a lot of campground locations in my BaseCamp by state and use them as a guide when I am in a specific state. I never just use the 760 to locate a campground and route me to it but I find it does have a large amount in it. I wish they would have the clearances in the database so you could confirm you are on a good route.

BC

dlw930

Hmmm when I touch the link on my iPad it takes me to a thread in Tow Vehicles a about rear end oil....from 2007. Maybe it's just an iPad thing, or I'm just a bad Apple! . I did read your excellent review in the newsletter, though. We'll put our 760 to the test going to Goshen next month. Thanks for sharing the info. I had forgotten about Homebase so I'll be checking it out.

David

danemayer

Hmmm when I touch the link on my iPad it takes me to a thread in Tow Vehicles a about rear end oil....from 2007. Maybe it's just an iPad thing, or I'm just a bad Apple!

Just tested the link on my iPad and it opens the pdf file for the Highlights. Not sure what's going on with your iPad.

ILH

My new 760 just arrived today. Looking forward to using it for the Ontario and Goshen rallies.

My son the heavy equipment mechanic finished installing air horns, air tank and compressor on the truck today. So not only will I find my way, you'll hear me coming! ;)

MTPockets

A word of caution: Here in southeast Utah I have encountered some routes on my RV760 that direct me onto dirt roads. This has happened now on at least four different routes in a wide area from Bryce Canyon to Moab and places in between. My settings are to avoid dirt roads, but despite paved state routes, the 760 directs me onto dirt roads, and some that don't intersect the road I'm traveling. I had a long talk today with Garmin, with them directing me to change settings and finally they saw my problem. For now, they have no solution, but will research and said they will advise. I always review my GPS settings and check my paper atlas to confirm; this area (south east Utah) is troubling. FYI