Fell in love and buying soon !

SamWarIII

Hello all,
my wife, daughter and I found and fell in love with a 2012 Heartland North Trail Focus Edition FX235 this weekend online. I am actually going to see it and hopefully place an offer on it this Friday. Please tell me if there is anything I need to be on the look out for !!
(Asides from the normal, AC,Fridge,Furnace, etc...)
We are upgrading from a 1999 Coleman Pop-Up so this is an all new animal for us.
Thanbk you in advance for the help,
Sam

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Check the tires/brand and all the caulking very carefully. Being a 2012 it still could have built early 2011 so keep that in mind.

Garypowell

I always tell people to get the vin code and call heartland and see if there were any extensive repairs on the rig.

Not sure if there is a RVFAX program out there but might be good to look into.

And simply ask if they will let you speak to the previous owners. Even if they say no it might tell you something.

I have fallen in love with the North Trail 26rlss. I have found a 2012 Caliber Edition on consignment. Pics look great and will be going to look at it this weekend. I do have the Vin number and was curious about calling Heartland as suggested. Who do we ask for specifically? Have you ever done this? This will be our first TT , we are upgrading from a Coleman Pop-up. I have been reading some of the reviews and info on this wonderful forum. It appears to be a good make and model. Of course, I am somewhat cautious since it is used. From our conversation, the dealer isn't particularly familiar with this make. Anything else specific that I should look for when we go? I am also looking at a 2015 same make and model. They look very similar, but the interior of the 2012 seems a little "classier". The sticker indicates that it was made in 2012, not 2011. Any peculiarities regarding the 2012 edition?
Any advice or suggestions would be very helpful and appreciated. Thanks.

jimtoo

Hi CampingSue,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

The North Trail is a very popular rv. It is a very well built unit and even my daughter and SIL have one. Be sure you look it over really good and check the tires. If the tires are TowMax or original tires, get them replaced, maybe part of the deal.

Be sure and check out the Heartland Owners Club after you become owners and join us at a rally or get together where you will meet other owners and make some great friends.

Jim M

Hi Jimtoo,
Thanks for the welcome. I'm getting excited about this trailer. The more I read, the more I like. Good suggestion on the tires. We just had a blow out this weekend on our pop up. Tires were only 2 years old. You suggested replacing tires if Towmax or originals. Do you recommend a good tire. We have struggled with various brands, but we were limited because they were only size 13. Those are hard to find. I would think the 15 D wouldn't be that hard to find. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

jimtoo

Hey CampingSue,

Just about any of the better tire brands that are not just ST (Trailer only) rated should be OK for the North Trail.

Jim M

Hi camping Sue
Lynda and I have a 2016 26Rlss and we love it. Just got back from a 3 day weekend outing and had some very severe SW Florida rain and wind. All stayed dry and cool. We looked at buying used but found that here in florida the price of a used camper/rv was the same as a new one if we drove to ohio to get a new one. Glad we went new and had a great trip picking it up and bringing it home. The rv is light enough to be pulled by our 2015 Ram 1500 hemi and it is very well built. We have all the upgrades as the caliber but do not have the corian counters or the rear rack. Minor things have been touched up or tightened but the little repairs like reglueing trim pieces or putting loc title on some stuff can be expected as someone wrote on here that every trip is like putting your rig through an earthquake.
Ours is titled as 2016 but was built this year in April. The rv people change the year earlier than car manufacturers. The rv you are looking at may be a little older than 2012 as it could actually be from as early as April 2011.
Best of luck with the purchase and these really are great rvs.