2015 Heartland WILDERNESS 2550RK Towing Issues

Uppie89

Hopefully any 2550 owners will chime in. So I'm in the market for an trailer. I really like the wilderness particularly the 2550. The reason I ask is when I was looking at it the salesman said I would defiantly need an anti sway hitch. he said when they transferred it to the other lot it really swayed.

I would hate to buy this and it sway. now I'm worried even if know body has an issue I'm wondering if this particular one is maybe messed up from the factory.

Also what are people using to Tow with. I have a 2007 Chevy Tahoe. And this is at the upper limit I think of its towing limits.

Thank you ahead of time for any and all replies.

jimtoo

Hi Uppie89,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

When I had a TT I had a weight distributing hitch with the anti-sway bar on it. I, personally would never pull a TT of any size without one. I'm sure you will get more opinions from other folks soon.

Enjoy the forum and hope you join the Heartland family.

Jim M

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Yes . . . like Jim said . . . you WILL need a weight distributing hitch assembly with a sway bar.

When we first got into camper trailering about 15 years ago, all it took for me was one pull of the trailer and I was at the trailer hitch shop the next day buying my WD setup (more on that at the end of this post).

And if you are pushing the limits of your truck already, you may want to consider a lighter trailer or look into getting a bigger tow vehicle.

It is not about what can your truck pull . . . but what can your truck stop!

We had our close call last summer, resulting in a new truck two weeks later (went from a Dodge Ram 1500 to a Chevy Silverado 2500HD)!

Too bad you don't live out here in Colorado as I have a complete WD setup in my garage that I no longer need.

We pick up our new 5th-wheel trailer this Friday, so the WD stuff is going up on Craigslist this weekend.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Any bumper pull trailer will sway if it is towed nose high. You have to have a good WDH and sway bar. If you load too much weight in the rear...it will sway and worse over 50MPH. BTW, forget the empty weight rating, its GVW rating of the trailer you need to look at. Compare that to what your Tahoe is rated at.

Uppie89

I will Have the weight distributing hitch for sure. I towed a 28' outback with a Dodge 1500 ram for years with no issues. thjis trailer is less than that. I will add sway control if needed. I just didnt know if this particuler model was more prone to it with the fridge in the back?

Go ahead and get a combination WD and Sway. We put the Reese StraightLine on our Sundance 322RES and it makes a world of difference.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I will Have the weight distributing hitch for sure. I towed a 28' outback with a Dodge 1500 ram for years with no issues. thjis trailer is less than that. I will add sway control if needed. I just didnt know if this particuler model was more prone to it with the fridge in the back?

There is no question . . . you really need it!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Your Dodge had rear leaf springs not coil springs. You may have to add airbags to keep everything level.

rahewett

Your Tahoe has a tow rating of #7400 lbs. Don't know what the trailor weight is but I just bought a Wilderness 2775 rbs and it tows fine. If you want to save some money on the hitch set uo, go to Harbor Freight. Hitch and sway control will run less than $250.

dghofstee

Loud Mouthed Member
I agree with everyone above. The aspect of legality on the road comes into play as well. Commercial vehicle officers are well trained eyes. If your hitch receiver allows your trailer to be towed only with a WD hitch, you should have one on. I tow 9k behind my 1 ton Chevy van. I also have air bags. I can certainly tell the difference. I think the wilderness has the wide track axle placement if I'm not mistaking. That will help in potential sway