Metal carport to cover fifth wheel? Need some advice...

ksmith555

I'm wondering if anyone on here has bought one and can help out...we have been considering a metal carport to park our fifth wheel under. I have been getting some quotes online, and all seem to max out with 12 foot side walls. The sales rep I spoke to said a 12 foot side wall will give a 14'9" center clearance (our trailer is listed on HL website as 13'3"), and as long as we are parking in the center we should be fine. BUT I remember seeing a pic on here a while ago with someone having part of their fifth wheel under one and it wouldn't fit! Don't want to do that lol!!! Any insight appreciated, thanks!

avvidclif

I have an 18x45 with 12' sidewalls and have no problems. Remember the RV is 13'3" at the center not the sides. The sides are usually about 12', the rest is AC's. My Cyclone is ~12' at the sides. Realize though I park in the middle to have room for the slides and walk-around space.

jimtoo

If you need a little more height and using the standard metal carport/sheds you can have it built on top of these deck blocks. I raised mine by putting these under the rails and still used the anchor pins into the ground. Since we live in an area with lots of wind I also put these screw in anchors at each corner about 3' out and used a small cable and eye bolt up high to attach to the anchors. Works good for me.

Jim M

scottyb

I'm wondering if anyone on here has bought one and can help out...we have been considering a metal carport to park our fifth wheel under. I have been getting some quotes online, and all seem to max out with 12 foot side walls. The sales rep I spoke to said a 12 foot side wall will give a 14'9" center clearance (our trailer is listed on HL website as 13'3"), and as long as we are parking in the center we should be fine. BUT I remember seeing a pic on here a while ago with someone having part of their fifth wheel under one and it wouldn't fit! Don't want to do that lol!!! Any insight appreciated, thanks!

We bought a metal building from Mueller Inc., and I built it with the help of some friends. After I finished the piers, 4 of us put the structure up in 4 days. Professionals could have done it in less time. If you want to be able to put out the slides, you need a minimum of 18' wide. This one is 48 x 26 x 14 w 4:12 pitch. I can park my truck beside it with the slides out. The 26' width shrinks to 23'8" inside the beams. I just wanted something that was going to be around for a while.

Attachments

• 2013-1119-1.jpg
    2013-1119-1.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 130
  • 2013-1119-5.jpg
    2013-1119-5.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 128
  • 2013-1119-2.jpg
    2013-1119-2.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 123

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
We bought a metal building from Mueller Inc., and I built it with the help of some friends. After I finished the piers, 4 of us put the structure up in 4 days. Professionals could have done it in less time. If you want to be able to put out the slides, you need a minimum of 18' wide. This one is 48 x 26 x 14 w 4:12 pitch. I can park my truck beside it with the slides out. The 26' width shrinks to 23'8" inside the beams. I just wanted something that was going to be around for a while.

How deep did you go on the piers? Looks like you did a fantastic job laying out the structure.

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
I had a 20x40x16 built for ours. It was built as a pole barn open all around. I wanted to be able to stand on the roof to clean and any maintenance that was needed. They used 6x6x20 treated post set 4' in concrete.

JanAndBill

12' sides will work "assuming" that you can 1) Back straight in, 2) The access into the structure is level, and 3) You don't want to access the top of the trailer while under the cover. I went with a metal "carport" type building 16 x 40 x 14 eve. I have a slight downward slope into my building from the drive which the 14' allows the extra clearance I need, and once under the cover, I can still walk on the roof (bent over). The cover has withstood some pretty nasty straight line winds with no problems, however I left the sides of mine open. I intend on covering the sides with sunscreen material which will probably force me to install additional bracing of some type.

ksmith555

LOL^^^Just ran across your pic and sent a message. I was thinking it was at least a 14, thanks for all of the responses. I really appreciate the advice. The guys we are talking to now either don't offer, or don't want to offer anything above a 12 foot side. Thinking I should look around some more before deciding, we have a VERY tight space to work with and don't want to make backing in any more difficult than it already is. Thanks again!!!

scottyb

How deep did you go on the piers? Looks like you did a fantastic job laying out the structure.

The piers are 5'-6' deep, depending on how deep it was to rock.

Attachments

• IMAG0378.jpg
    IMAG0378.jpg
    817.1 KB · Views: 99
  • IMAG0374.jpg
    IMAG0374.jpg
    792.5 KB · Views: 94
  • IMAG0387.jpg
    IMAG0387.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 87

avvidclif

12' sides will work "assuming" that you can 1) Back straight in, 2) The access into the structure is level, and 3) You don't want to access the top of the trailer while under the cover. I went with a metal "carport" type building 16 x 40 x 14 eve. I have a slight downward slope into my building from the drive which the 14' allows the extra clearance I need, and once under the cover, I can still walk on the roof (bent over). The cover has withstood some pretty nasty straight line winds with no problems, however I left the sides of mine open. I intend on covering the sides with sunscreen material which will probably force me to install additional bracing of some type.

You are correct on the approach to it. However mine is a pull thru, no back in. Fairly straight and level. I can get on the top of mine as long as I want to crawl, which for me is easier than walking hunched over. If I really need to work on the top I back out and pull onto the other side of the slab which is open.

To explain I have a 36x45 concrete slab. Half (18x45) is covered by the RV port. The other is open. I can park on either side. To leave I go forward and to the left. The driveway circles back to where I am. There are 20, 30, & 50A hookups on the storage building with water the other side of the tree at the left front corner. No sewer, yet.

Attachments

• IMG_0524 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0524 (Medium).JPG
    242.8 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0525 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0525 (Medium).JPG
    316.2 KB · Views: 83

sengli

We ended up with 40 foot long, and went to 14 feet high for clearance up top. Had the car port anchored with 8 cemented in anchors that goes in about 4 feet deep. It keep the sun and rain off the rig when stored very well. Its rated for 125 MPH winds.

Attachments

• IMAG0032.jpg
    IMAG0032.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 111
  • IMAG0027.jpg
    IMAG0027.jpg
    534.9 KB · Views: 92

Hansel

I had a 36X12ft carport by Carolina Carports installed for my new 5th wheel, but mine was a 2 month long process because my property was not level so I had too build a timber retaining wall, then bring is a load of fill, and 2 loads of gravel. After that 4 guys showed up and about 4 hours later our new 5th wheel ahs a new home.

Attachments

• retaining wall.jpg
    retaining wall.jpg
    520.3 KB · Views: 48
  • gravel.jpg
    gravel.jpg
    515 KB · Views: 44
  • carport.jpg
    carport.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 47