Maxxis tires

geeman53

Has anyone went to Maxxis tires . We have 15" Missions and will replace these. Staying with 15" rims ,Maxxis seems to be the choice.Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks,Geeman

brunomisty

Sundance Owner
Tires

I been looking to upgrade my load star tire with Maxxis tire. A friend of are installed Maxxis on there 5th wheel last year and there hold up good. Did a search on RV Net about them and a lot of positive remarks. Going to order are in the next few weeks

geeman53

brunomisty,thanks for the reply.I am a rv.net member and got a few replies yesterday. I have searched the Maxxis files over there.Over 35 positive pages.I'm not crazy about where they are built,Thailand,but 10 ply radial.There has a Heartland owner somewhere that stayed w/ 15 " rims and went to Maxxis. Our only other choice is to go 16" rims w/ Michelin RIBS.With our small 26.5' Sundance , we're not sure we need 16" tires.
Geeman

Freckles

Founding New York Chapter Leader-Retired
Found out our 2008 Sundance 2900mk came with GoodYear Marthons lucky me. I'v had these tires on 2 Fleetwood before the HL and had no problems!!

fishn2dmax

Feckles,

I wouldn't be too joyous with Marathons on my Sundance!!! Unless the marathons are DOT coded as made in the USA ( very few are), the vast majority of Marathons are now made in China. For over 12 years, I had marathons on all my toys trailers, boat trailer and 5'ers with out a single issue. My last pair of Marathons ( made in China) I bought for my boat lasted 6 months before one China bomb marathon blew out and the other exhibited a large sidewall bubble.

Geeman,
I have changed all of my trailers ( except one) including my Sundance 2900 MK 16" tires to Maxxis and have had no problems. The only trailer that I don't have Maxxis on has 15" Tow Masters made in Canada- they also have been great.

Freckles

Founding New York Chapter Leader-Retired
Thanks for the bad news!! Yes they are made in good old China!! Maybe I'll switch too Maxxis !! Here I thought I was in the clear !!

rick7t7

I ran MAXXIS on my previous trailer for 4 years. They were 15", load range 'D'. Excellent tires. Never any problems.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Lemme tell you how to pick the best tires.

Find out what I'm using...and then buy anything else.

Works for my friends.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I also have read good things about the Maxxis tires but try to find a dealer that carries them . I went to there web site trying to find dealers ,one in Illinois and none in Missouri. The one in Illinois is way to far to drive to , the only way for me to get them is to order them online. If one needed a new replacement while traveling , guess would be up a creek without a paddle. There dealer network seems pretty thin in most states....Ken

geeman53

I have had some guys tell me about Denman Express ST 10 ply E rated and I can get them locally for under a hundred each. Good track record,Ohio company,made in Mexico,not Asian.We can't find Maxxis locally,will cost $150 each,on line.I think Denman is the way that we are going to go.Good Riddance Mission tires !
Thanks,G.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I checked, Discount Tires can get you the Maxxis tire. I may get a set but just remember they don't make a 10 ply tire. Best they have is a 8 ply tire thats 10 ply rated. :rolleyes:

khd995

What do you mean not 10 ply but 10 ply rated. I just checked the web site and I couldn't find a distinction between 10 ply and 10 ply rated.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
What do you mean not 10 ply but 10 ply rated. I just checked the web site and I couldn't find a distinction between 10 ply and 10 ply rated.

Ply rating is the old system of rating tire capacity, however, "ply" is no longer a true rating system of a modern tire's capacity. eg) most 10 ply rated tires are actually only 8 ply tires.

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
I ran Maxxis bravo commercial tires on my '90 dually and my '2000 dually and loved them. Now that they finally make it in a 17" tire it's what I will put on my Dodge dually soon.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I ran Maxxis bravo commercial tires on my '90 dually and my '2000 dually and loved them. Now that they finally make it in a 17" tire it's what I will put on my Dodge dually soon.
Mike, are you getting decent tread life from the Maxxis? I stayed with Ameritracs on my Chev and they are terrible. I rotate pretty regular too but??? I need 2 tires now and would like to stretch the other 4 so I can replace all 6 at one time for a change.

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Mike, are you getting decent tread life from the Maxxis? I stayed with Ameritracs on my Chev and they are terrible. I rotate pretty regular too but??? I need 2 tires now and would like to stretch the other 4 so I can replace all 6 at one time for a change.

They did pretty well. Had about 50k on the last set when I traded the truck and they looked about new and I never rotate. I liked the handeling, I had much less rear end squirm with the Maxxis than with Bridgestone, BFG, General or Firestone when towing travel trailers... Bridgestones were the worst of the bunch for tail wiggle.

I have Firestone Transforce HT on the rear of the Dodge right now and they are about shot with 70k on them.