Damage Check - Advice?

MCTalley

A week and a half ago, we flew out to Washington state to see our family. Just before we left, I told our neighbor across from us at the campground that they could park their second vehicle on our spot in front of our trailer if they wanted while we were gone. I won't get into specifics on the family living across the way, but suffice it to say I had reservations about letting them park there after we left. However, I didn't do anything about it and we went on our way.

When we came in this evening, I decided to do a trailer walkaround. Everything looks fine. The neighbor's second pickup truck is backed in in front of our trailer and the tailgate has been mangled pretty good by what looks like backing into a trailer kingpin. Ironically enough, the damage is almost at exactly the same height as our kingpin. Note that this is not their tow vehicle, but rather an F150 without any hitch gear in the bed.

We got in late enough that I didn't want to approach them this evening (after flying all day and missing dinner due to flight schedules). I will ask them to move their vehicle tomorrow as we'll be pulling out early Monday.

I looked at our kingpin and it doesn't have any paint or marks on it. The decorative plastic cover is not deformed or anything. We've had the pinbox covered with a garbage bag the past few weeks to keep birds from nesting in it, so I can't see the pinbox yet. I will be doing that tomorrow, as well, in preparation for leaving. Our trailer is still centered on all the landing gear pads just like we left it.

I will obviously ask them about the damage to their truck tomorrow and ask if they happened to back into our trailer. I'm pretty sure they'll probably say no. Just in case, what and where should I look for anything being tweaked? I'm going to check in the LP tank compartments where the riser and reinforcements from the drop frame are located, as well as the back and sides of the pinbox. I don't see any warped or cracked fiberglass anywhere.

Hoping this is all just being overly paranoid.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I would think if there was an impact hard enough to do frame damage, that there would be some other evidence. This would include jacks, or wheels moved from original position, or some obvious scratches on the pinbox.
Pinbox's are very stout and IMHO if that was all that was hit, the truck probably got the worst of it.
Like you said, hopefully it is just circumstantial evidence. Trace

MCTalley

I agree. I would almost bet the truck's tailgate (probably 2013-2014 Ford F150) is aluminum (I know it would be in 2015+).

Considering that pinbox bears the brunt of 16K of trailer chucking against it on I-10 in Louisiana without complaining....

I'm thinking I'm just going to let them know we'll need our space back and not mention the tailgate. If they feel they want to say something, fine. Otherwise, I'll not sweat it (assuming I see no other damage).

GOTTOYS

I agree. I would almost bet the truck's tailgate (probably 2013-2014 Ford F150) is aluminum (I know it would be in 2015+).

Considering that pinbox bears the brunt of 16K of trailer chucking against it on I-10 in Louisiana without complaining....

I'm thinking I'm just going to let them know we'll need our space back and not mention the tailgate. If they feel they want to say something, fine. Otherwise, I'll not sweat it (assuming I see no other damage).
X2 Same here.....Don

MCTalley

Thanks, all. Unless I see anything concerning when I unwrap the pinbox later today, I'm not going to worry about any hidden damage.

bighorn3370

A long story short, I bet your 5th wheel is fine. With my SOB I backed in to the king pin and put a hole in the bed of the truck; The 5th wheel did not move at all. I was not moving fast at all. The metal on the truck is a lot thinner than on the king pin.

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
A week and a half ago, we flew out to Washington state to see our family. Just before we left, I told our neighbor across from us at the campground that they could park their second vehicle on our spot in front of our trailer if they wanted while we were gone. I won't get into specifics on the family living across the way, but suffice it to say I had reservations about letting them park there after we left. However, I didn't do anything about it and we went on our way.

When we came in this evening, I decided to do a trailer walkaround. Everything looks fine. The neighbor's second pickup truck is backed in in front of our trailer and the tailgate has been mangled pretty good by what looks like backing into a trailer kingpin. Ironically enough, the damage is almost at exactly the same height as our kingpin. Note that this is not their tow vehicle, but rather an F150 without any hitch gear in the bed.

We got in late enough that I didn't want to approach them this evening (after flying all day and missing dinner due to flight schedules). I will ask them to move their vehicle tomorrow as we'll be pulling out early Monday.

I looked at our kingpin and it doesn't have any paint or marks on it. The decorative plastic cover is not deformed or anything. We've had the pinbox covered with a garbage bag the past few weeks to keep birds from nesting in it, so I can't see the pinbox yet. I will be doing that tomorrow, as well, in preparation for leaving. Our trailer is still centered on all the landing gear pads just like we left it.

I will obviously ask them about the damage to their truck tomorrow and ask if they happened to back into our trailer. I'm pretty sure they'll probably say no. Just in case, what and where should I look for anything being tweaked? I'm going to check in the LP tank compartments where the riser and reinforcements from the drop frame are located, as well as the back and sides of the pinbox. I don't see any warped or cracked fiberglass anywhere.

Hoping this is all just being overly paranoid.

The strongest part of the trailer is is the king pin based on it having to support 3,000 plus pounds in the bed of the TV and pull 16,000 pounds of trailer. The rest of the trailer is going to show damage even if you run a motor scooter into it (my son did this) for the skirt metal is actually pretty fragile. If you see no damage I would assume you got off lucky. Would check to make sure the king pin is solid, straight and that there is nothing loose.

MCTalley

Just pulled the "bird nest preventer" (aka garbage bag) off the pinbox and everything is tight and square.

Will keep pictures handy just in case the truck's owner gets the strange notion that my insurance might actually owe him anything.

B

BouseBill

From the picture, it looks to me like someone dropped the tailgate onto something causing the damage. Although it could have happened either way/

kowAlski631

How could they possibly ask you to pay for damage? It's not like the trailer jumped out and ran into the truck...Just sayin...Don

People can and do not only say things that make you scratch your head, they sue for issues that are mind boggling.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I would say by looking at the tailgate....YEP... it hit the pin. Paul, watch the TV court shows if you want to see "STUPID" people.

kowAlski631

Actually, Martha was a paralegal and insurance broker and I owned a company, so we know how ridiculous people can be when it comes to getting $$ for damages be they real or perceived. We've seen enough in real life, so don't bother with the TV shows.

MCTalley

RESOLVED: Damage Check - Advice?

Well, it all worked out fine.

We came home from the grocery store and I saw the father outside their trailer and walked over to let him know we were leaving in the morning and that they would need to move their truck. His step-son drives the truck (teenager). He said no problem, then walked over to our trailer with me and said he wanted to show me something.

He explained how his step-son backed into the trailer one night. He had looked over the pin and didn't see any damage. He apologized and noted that they already have an appointment tomorrow to replace the tailgate at their own out-of-pocket cost. He said if we found any damage to let him know and he would take care of it.

Mrsfish

I am so glad this worked out for you Malcolm. Sounds like a man of honor. Reminds us all to not judge a book by it's cover as it's the contents that matter. Have safe travels in your next venture! Btw - thanks for a great example of how to handle this.