Heartland Dealer Release of Liability Requirment

KerrTx

We picked out a unit after looking for over a year, Signed a Contract with Explorer USA, gave them $250 to go get the unit from a different lot and WHAM! When did Dealers start having you sign a Liability Release to purchase from them? We were ready to make the deal, a cash deal by the way on a 2016 Heartland 3160EL and the sales man took us into a room so we could "read along" with a CD explaining that the dealer is not responsible for any issues that may arise with the unit regardless of what the sales people may have promised or offered, or what anyone in service may have told us. If there was anything missed in the PDI or not brought to their attention before we took delivery, we were on our own and we were responsible to get the manufacture to fix the issue. If anyone at the dealer gave us incorrect information on the Proper Use, Maintenance or Correct Function of Controls, If the RV is damaged or someone is hurt, because of what or how they instructed us to use the equipment, they are not liable. I get the fact that it is a Manufacture Warranty and how it all works, this is our 4th RV over the years, all purchased new. They can not tell you or show you how to operate the basics of the equipment incorrectly and not take some type of responsibility for their action. They are getting paid a lot of money for little or no effort. This is what they choose to do in life, take responsibility for your actions and stop throwing blame on someone else. You do not have to turn your hard earned money over to a company that has this type of policy and treat customers this way. Their not the only place selling this product. Take a stand against the "Used Car Salesman" mentality of this and other dealers.

And WHAM! Were looking for another Heartland Dealer, maybe Arizona or Colorado. Anyone that could recommend a honest, hard working dealer that still has honest, moral values, would love to meet them.

jimtoo

Hi KerrTx,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I think you will find that a release is used by almost all RV dealers.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit when you get it.

Jim M

osims

bsims
We bought our Bighorn from Lonestar RV South in Houston April1 and there was none of that mentioned, they told us any problems give them a call and I have taken it in once for service and every thing was handled promptly.

KerrTx

We bought our Bighorn from Lonestar RV South in Houston April1 and there was none of that mentioned, they told us any problems give them a call and I have taken it in once for service and every thing was handled promptly.

That is my exact point, we have purchased 4 RV's in the last 15 years and this was a first. I would make the drive to Lonestar in Houston. But I have never and will never sign anything like that.

OEFVET

We picked out a unit after looking for over a year, Signed a Contract with Explorer USA, gave them $250 to go get the unit from a different lot and WHAM! When did Dealers start having you sign a Liability Release to purchase from them? We were ready to make the deal, a cash deal by the way on a 2016 Heartland 3160EL and the sales man took us into a room so we could "read along" with a CD explaining that the dealer is not responsible for any issues that may arise with the unit regardless of what the sales people may have promised or offered, or what anyone in service may have told us. If there was anything missed in the PDI or not brought to their attention before we took delivery, we were on our own and we were responsible to get the manufacture to fix the issue. If anyone at the dealer gave us incorrect information on the Proper Use, Maintenance or Correct Function of Controls, If the RV is damaged or someone is hurt, because of what or how they instructed us to use the equipment, they are not liable. I get the fact that it is a Manufacture Warranty and how it all works, this is our 4th RV over the years, all purchased new. They can not tell you or show you how to operate the basics of the equipment incorrectly and not take some type of responsibility for their action. They are getting paid a lot of money for little or no effort. This is what they choose to do in life, take responsibility for your actions and stop throwing blame on someone else. You do not have to turn your hard earned money over to a company that has this type of policy and treat customers this way. Their not the only place selling this product. Take a stand against the "Used Car Salesman" mentality of this and other dealers.

And WHAM! Were looking for another Heartland Dealer, maybe Arizona or Colorado. Anyone that could recommend a honest, hard working dealer that still has honest, moral values, would love to meet them.

Good for you in walking away! I would have done the same thing! Jimtoo - you are mistaken on this one. I have NEVER signed or agreed to that type of language. A release like the one described is not the norm. And Yes I paid cash as well.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Dan, ExploreUSA may be the biggest RV chain in Texas.

I'm very shocked by that wording.

So are they no longer doing warranty work for anybody?!?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

olcoon

Sounds kind of odd to me, but with the things the way they are today, they are just probably trying to cover their bacon. I probably would have done the same as you did. We didn't have to do anything like that when we bought ours, and I don't know if that's the norm these days or not.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We just purchased a brand new Heartland Prowler three days ago from Four Seasons RV in Loveland, Colorado.

We didn't have to sign anything like this . . . and we didn't two and a half years ago when we purchased our Heartland Trail Runner from another dealership not far away.

We would have walked if they had whipped out paperwork of this type . . .

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
So how do salespeople make a sale when nothing they say can be held against them later? SMH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kowAlski631

Sounds to me like a dealer who has an incompetent sales force working there. They seem to care about the sale, but not the consumer. If the dealer really wanted to protect themselves from potential litigation (and make sure everyone was on the same page), they'd provide a video of the walkthrough performed with the purchaser rather than a video saying they disavow all responsibility for the purchase. No way would we complete the purchase with this entity. I'd love to hear the rationale for this approach.

Martha

osims

bsims
KerrTx, Lonestar has two locations in Houston and there is a dealer in Lufkin, Baily RV that quoted a good price when I was shopping they just didn't have the model we wanted on his lot at that time.

JanAndBill

Here in our home state new card dealers started doing this when they were getting cars from other dealerships, in the event there had been damage to the car that had been fixed, as physical damage was not covered under the manufacturer's warranty. It gradually expanded to include all cars. Since then it's lightened up a little and generally includes an arbitration agreement as opposed to a release from liability. Release from liability agreements are hard to defend and most times won't stand up to legal scrutiny.

MagnoliaTom

I purchased my elkridge there. In fact, the SOB TT I traded in for the 5er was purchased there as well. While yes, they will take your rig in service for any warranty items that may arise, my experience is the warranty/service department is slow and mostly incompetent. I avoid the service department at all costs. One of the reasons I traded in my one year old TT was because of a slide out gasket that was torn and needed to be replaced. They replaced it with a wrong gasket (too small and didn't actually touch the slide). When I pointed that out to the "tech", the genius actually told me slides should be retracted when it rains anyways! WTH? I blew a gasket after that. The manager and I spoke and I was told they'd get another gasket (had to wait for another couple weeks for parts, etc) and they'd call when it was ready. 3 weeks later, new gasket installed. Looked good. I went on my way. Next week took it camping, notice the inside trim around the slide was mangled, glue or gasket sealer everywhere, and yes it rained and it still leaked.

I like the place for getting a good price on an RV but the service department is most definitely their Achilles heel.

VMooreSR

Things must have changed with Explore USA since we purchased ours from them, because I did not sign anything like that and wouldn't have either.

justafordguy

You did the right thing to walk/run away from that crap. No way would I ever sign that, and that is not normal. You need to find a Dealer who is willing to stand behind you no matter what happens. You may want to call Heartland and tell them what happened and see if they can recommend a good dealer near you.

57chevyconvt

We purchased our BH from Ron Hoover RV here in Texas, four location, one of which is near San Antonio. I have been very pleased with the follow-up warranty work that was done on my behalf. The Hoover boys are very keen to listen and help solve your problems.

TxCowboy

Explore USA Seguin doesn't have this policy that I know of. I purchased my current unit from them a couple of years ago and didn't have to sign any type of release such as the OP posted.

Spent several hours this past Saturday at the new Seguin location and Kevin, the Sales Manager, was nothing but informative and helpful.