looking for feedback on a Sept. 2016 rally in SD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Amy and I are considering hosting a rally Sept 21 thru 25 2016 at Rafter J Bar ahead of Trace and Terry's rally in Glendale UT.

Couple of things to consider:

It's about a 14 hour drive from Custer, SD to Glendale, UT. Would this be to long a drive in two days?

The camp ground will not "hold" a block of sites for us so we would need to reserve them by this November. By doing this we can get a block but they would need to paid for when booked and there would be a no refund policy.

The Rafter RV park is located in the heart of the Black Hills about 10 minutes from Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse monuments.

We were thinking this might be good scheduling for any rally jumpers heading west for the national rally in Las Vegas (Bernie you out there?)

Please post any thoughts, feedback you have.

Thanks.

Mrsfish

Would someone please gift me a whole lot of money so I can quit working? I want to attend ALL of these rallies :(

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Dave,
I like your idea. Rafter J is a great park. However, I think 900 miles in 2 days is just too much for all but the hardiest of the Heartland group. (Google maps shows 893 miles from Hill City SD to Glendale UT)

Most everyone I know prefers to drive about 250-300 miles per day.

I would say 3 maybe 4 days between Rallies, would be a more reasonable expectation.

Like maybe Sept 18 to 23rd, or so? (Our start date in Glendale Utah is Sept 27, 2016).

Anybody else out there have any ideas?? Trace

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
How about another one in Cody a couple of weeks before Trace's rally so we could take a scenic drive to Utah? Just thinking out loud here, haven't looked at a map.

codycarver

Amy and I were just talking about that last night. it's easy for us and Cody is a great place to visit as you already know Jay. Map quest puts it at 720 miles +/- and you could definitely head to Glendale through the park. Sept. Is one of the best times of the year to visit Yellowstone.

If it doesn't pan out for a rally you and Stella can still book a spot a Tardiff's RV park.:)

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Haven't really thought too far ahead for the 2015 National Rally route we will take, but I'd really love to go through SD and Utah on our way. We'll be coming back from the Rally on the "southern route" so a trip through the Black Hills would be a real big plus for us. My Boss Lady has not been to Mount Rushmore nor the Black Hills and I'd like to go there with her. An extra rally stop in Cody and Utah would be a great way to get from Virginia to Las Vegas!!!

olcoon

Dave, we "might" be up for it, have to wait until closer to rally time. Seems like if we make plans too far in advance. For this rally, I had plans to get various things done, then the rain came & didn't leave. Had to install a sump pump in our crawl space yesterday which was a real pain! Got it done, now hopefully I'll get to finish up the odds & ends today & get packed to leave in the morning.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We would be interested in coming up for that.

We've been looking for an excuse to go back up that way!

We stayed in Custer at the Big Pine's Campground just west of town when we were there two years ago . . .

Great place with lots of shade and the people were awesome!

Here are some shots . . .

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• SDCampsiteSmall-IMG_0548.jpg
    SDCampsiteSmall-IMG_0548.jpg
    649.6 KB · Views: 111
  • SDCampsite-IMG_0546.jpg
    SDCampsite-IMG_0546.jpg
    743.2 KB · Views: 113
  • SDDevilsTowerTruck-IMG_0564.jpg
    SDDevilsTowerTruck-IMG_0564.jpg
    408.6 KB · Views: 109
  • SDMtRushmore-IMG_0760.jpg
    SDMtRushmore-IMG_0760.jpg
    493 KB · Views: 110
  • BackEntranceJewelCave-IMG_1113.jpg
    BackEntranceJewelCave-IMG_1113.jpg
    609.4 KB · Views: 112

codycarver

Haven't really thought too far ahead for the 2015 National Rally route we will take, but I'd really love to go through SD and Utah on our way. We'll be coming back from the Rally on the "southern route" so a trip through the Black Hills would be a real big plus for us. My Boss Lady has not been to Mount Rushmore nor the Black Hills and I'd like to go there with her. An extra rally stop in Cody and Utah would be a great way to get from Virginia to Las Vegas!!!

Please keep us posted as your plans firm up.

codycarver

Dave, we "might" be up for it, have to wait until closer to rally time. Seems like if we make plans too far in advance. For this rally, I had plans to get various things done, then the rain came & didn't leave. Had to install a sump pump in our crawl space yesterday which was a real pain! Got it done, now hopefully I'll get to finish up the odds & ends today & get packed to leave in the morning.

We are looking forward to seeing you and Sally whether in the black hills or Cody. If we need to we'll install a second pedestal at our camp ground. On another note.....I found this video and thought of you Roy.... don't know why but I did.

codycarver

We would be interested in coming up for that.

We've been looking for an excuse to go back up that way!

We stayed in Custer at the Big Pine's Campground just west of town when we were there two years ago . . .

Great place with lots of shade and the people were awesome!

Keep an eye out for an official post. Until then keep an eye out here for updates. BTW we have one coming up in Sept. In West Yellowstone MT.

JohnD

That video cracked me up!

That mobile home in the video reminded me of this little treasure we found while 4-wheelin' in South Dakota on the back road to the Jewel Cave National Monument west of Custer:

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Second and third shots are at the rear entrance to Jewel Park (about five miles off of the main road . . . this is where my Rand McNally GPS device brought us to get to the park)!

We had already been to the main entrance and bought our tickets (we saw the real entrance and stopped), but since we had a three hour wait for our tour, we decided to see where Rand McNally wanted to take us.

Seeing that old trailer back there was cool . . . yet kinda spooky at the same time.

Attachments

• SDTrailerTrash-IMG_1104.jpg
    SDTrailerTrash-IMG_1104.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 82
  • BackEntranceJewelCaveTruck-IMG_1111.jpg
    BackEntranceJewelCaveTruck-IMG_1111.jpg
    652.5 KB · Views: 83
  • BackEntranceJewelCave-IMG_1113.jpg
    BackEntranceJewelCave-IMG_1113.jpg
    609.4 KB · Views: 83

olcoon

Yuppers Dave, at's me...R.D. Neck! But there is trash in my trailer, but Sally tries to keep it cleaned up. Fortunately she hasn't thrown me out with the bath water....yet! BTW, liked the video, it was very entraining, and socially redeeming, also had some nice scenery!!!

JohnD

Just thought I'd chime in here that we are having a Colorado HOC Rally in Colorado Springs in September of 2016, and many are using that as a stop on their way to the National Rally in Las Vegas!

https://heartlandowners.org/showthr...ly-CO-Colorado-Springs-9-15-2016-to-9-18-2016

There is still room and very little time to book for this if you haven't booked a spot on your way to Vegas.

Mountaindale is an AWESOME RV park . . . we've been there twice and are booked for this rally!

Mountaindale is probably one of the best . . . if not THE BEST RV PARK west of the Mississippi!

Think about it . . . but don't wait too long as time is almost out for booking at this RV resort for that weekend!

Here are a couple of shots from there last spring . . . I'll dig out more if you need them!

ProwlerAtMountaindale-P1000126.jpg ProwlerAtMountaindale2015-P1000145.jpg

This was our 2015 Heartland Prowler's maiden voyage where we met up with a couple of Arizona HOC members on their way back from the 2015 HOC Goshen Heartland National Rally!

Here in Colorado, we have a lot of fun at our rallies and invite you all to stop by!

Status
Not open for further replies.