Moveable Kitchen Island Ideas

portliz

We just purchased a new to us 2011 - 3070RL Bighorn. It did not come with the optional island. Looking for ideas. Anyone build or purchase a moveable island. Pictures please.

hoefler

I took a bunch of measurements and built one for our Landmark. Choose to make it permanent by screwing to the floor. Wife has since changed her mind on it, I have removed the counter top and had a Corian top made with out the overhang.

Attachments

• island.jpg
    island.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 194
  • island4.jpg
    island4.jpg
    337.9 KB · Views: 194
  • island5.jpg
    island5.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 184
  • island2.jpg
    island2.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 179

Gizzy

When we ordered our 2011 3070RL that was the one option we did not want and do not regret it at all. We travel a lot with ours and wanted the "open" feeling plus it would be in the way when we overnight sometimes at at places where we can to put the slides out. If you are going to be parked somewhere most of the time it would not be in the way. We have been using our coach for 5 yrs and 35,000 miles and love it. Just our opinion.

Rangelady

We love the movable island in our Gateway 3200RS. Maybe you can order one from Heartland. I thought I had pictures on my phone but I don't. My hubby will post one though.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Movable islands were used in some HL 5er's. Give HL service a call and see what they have.

Westwind

When we were looking for a FW an island wasn't on the to have list, recliner's and washer/dryer were. We looked at FW that had a L shaped island which didn't allow us to get out of the kitchen area more then one way. We found a 3070RL online that had a narrow fixed island and we both liked it and knew when we bought it that with the slide closed we wouldn't be able to get into the refer. I wasn't comfortable with a island on casters. Over the years we have had too much stuff move around the trailer as we traveled across the rough roads we have in the US. I think you did a great job on the island you have, lots of storage, maybe just the weight of what you have in it will keep it in place. Whatever casters you get make sure they lock up good. PS We love the island, we can both cook at the same time without getting in each others way. I just wish we had a couch in the rear and the recliners on the slide, that way I would have to fight with them into position so I can close the slides.

Rangelady

We just purchased a new to us 2011 - 3070RL Bighorn. It did not come with the optional island. Looking for ideas. Anyone build or purchase a moveable island. Pictures please.
Here is a picture of our moveable island. I like the ability to place it wherever I need it. It has not moved a bit when we travel and we hit a wash board road when I told hubby go take a wrong turn. (Oops). We strap it down to some D-rings screwed into the floor. uploadfromtaptalk1434000884517.jpg

Beautiful cabinetry work on your island. I love the color...is it painted or stained? Did you get rid of your dining table since you now have the bar extension?
Carol

Rangelady

Beautiful cabinetry work on your island. I love the color...is it painted or stained? Did you get rid of your dining table since you now have the bar extension?
Carol
This is the factory standard in our Gateway. I love the flexibility of a moveable island and don't plan to get rid of the dining table. It is a laminate, I think the same as the kitchen cabinets. It has drawers on the other side and it had a large trash can in the end you see. That is a little too big for trash for 2 people though. There is also a large storage cabinet in the center with a drawer. I think it was smart design on Heartland's part.

Rangelady