Wiring Inverter or InverterS ??

Oregon_Camper

I have a question.

I'm planning to add 4 136w solar panels to our BH. :)

In doing so, I want to also add an inverter to provide 110 power to the trailer. In doing some research, I think I need 2 inverters, due to 50amp power supplied to the trailer, which typically breaks the distribution panel into 2 seperate sections. Basically right and left side of trailer.

Is this right? Anyone with a 3160EL add solar that can chime in?

I was planning to add one GoPower GP-Sw3000-12 3000w Purse Sine Wave Inverter, but if I need 2, I'll drop down to 2 1500w or 2 2000w units.

BTW...I have no intentions of ever turning on the AC using this power setup. Lucky for me, in Oregon, we don't really need AC to camp.

danemayer

I think I need 2 inverters, due to 50amp power supplied to the trailer, which typically breaks the distribution panel into 2 seperate sections. Basically right and left side of trailer.

The circuit breaker panel has 2 busses and I believe the breakers are powered by top or bottom bus, alternating from left to right. I would think you could tie the output of the inverter to both legs - similar to what a 30-->50 amp pigtail adapter does.

Or you might want to use a sub-panel with a transfer switch. Put the inverter loads on the sub-panel and use the transfer switch so the sub-panel gets power from the main box, if on shore power, or from the inverter if not on shore power.

wdk450

Since my Bighorn came with the Generator Prep option (but no generator) I wired my inverter output into the existing transfer switch, paralelling the 2 - 110 volt inputs, much like a 30 amp to 50 amp plug pigtail does. I even soldered in a cable to the back of the inverter's power switch, so I have a power switch inside at the electrical control panel. BTW, remember to turn off the battery charger AC breaker when using the inverter, so you battery power isn't wasted in trying to charge the batteries.
Pay a lot of attention to the huge current, 12 volt wiring going into the inverter. I cut up large gauge jumper cables for mine. I have a 250 amp fuse in the line to the inverter. I use 4 - SLA batteries and I have my inverter in the battery area to reducing 12 volt wiring runs. The 110 volt output goes to the transfer switch in the crawl space.

Oregon_Camper

Since my Bighorn came with the Generator Prep option (but no generator) I wired my inverter output into the existing transfer switch, paralelling the 2 - 110 volt inputs, much like a 30 amp to 50 amp plug pigtail does.

Bill...looking at your mods (very nice BTW!!) I see you have a 1500w Sine Wave inverter. Does that provide enough power for your needs, minus the AC units of course. I am wonding if the 3000w Go Power I am looking at ($1000 on Amazon) is simply overkill for my needs at this time, as we are not full timers.... YET!!! :) :)

scottyb

You don't mention how much you are going to upgrade your batteries, to go with your solar. That will determine how much you can run and what size inverter you need.

scottyb

Probably going to go with 2 Trojan T-1275 batteries.

Nice choice in batteries. I don't think you will need more than one inverter with 300Ah. It would be cheaper to move breakers to a sub panel, rather than install 2 inverters.

Attachments

• IMAG0443.jpg
    IMAG0443.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMAG0442.jpg
    IMAG0442.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 52

wdk450

Bill...looking at your mods (very nice BTW!!) I see you have a 1500w Sine Wave inverter. Does that provide enough power for your needs, minus the AC units of course. I am wonding if the 3000w Go Power I am looking at ($1000 on Amazon) is simply overkill for my needs at this time, as we are not full timers.... YET!!! :) :)

I asked myself what was the biggest electrical load I would want to use when boondocking The answer was the 1100 watt microwave oven. Run the refrig and water heater on propane, and all of the other 110 volt AC electrical loads are peanuts compared to the microwave.