Full Body Paint?

TxCowboy

Other than looks, what's the advantage of the full body paint over the standard finish? Seems like lots of folks are paying extra for the body paint...:confused:

Thanks!!

olcoon

I think one of them would not having the decals peeling off/fading in a few years.

chiefneon

Howdy!

The main reason we purchased ours with full body paint is no fading and peeling graphics that we had and most other do also.its going to happen if you keep it long enough.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

TxCowboy

Is this full body paint a pretty costly upgrade? I recall seeing someone's Cyclone build sheet posted online but can't seem to locate it now.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Easier to maintain the finish. I will be like waxing a car rather than keeping a fiberglass boat finish shiny. As far as I know, there are still some decals that are stick on. Use 303 protectent on those.

Jim-Lynn

I agree Bob, far easier to maintain. Our last 5er was not a full body paint & I swore never again, spent more time trying to get the bugs off the darn dull nose that we did camping. Not sure, but I think our cost was about $ 10,000. for the full body. Don't like the cost, but love the looks and ease of cleaning.

Jim

GOTTOYS

Having spent over $3,500.00 to paint the faded gray front cap, and now the rear cap, plus the gray fender skirts that turned brown and to replace the alligator looking gold decals on the sides...My next one will be either white or full body paint. It's a shame to have to spend this much on a well maintained 2011 model to keep it looking nice...Don

olcoon

I agree Don, doesn't make any difference how much work & money you invest in the rig, in a few years, it's still going to look like crap. Kind of like living...eat right, exercise routinely, drink the right amount of water, and you will still die in the end!

dlw930

Our 2011 BC had some fading/oxidation at the top of the rear end cap. The front end cap was much better. Virtually every 2011 BC I've seen in the past two years looks at least as bad as ours. I was told by a trustworthy source that this was a product issue with the gelcoat finish and that HL had a time-limited offer (now past) to refinish any defective finish. I've since traded for a 13 Landmark with full body paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brianharrison

In addition to the above:

The "wow" factor; there are few full body painted 5th wheels, and the full body paint on the Heartland lines are unique and eye catching. Even at 5 yrs old, the 2011 Landmark paint/clearcoat shows like new and sparkles in the direct sun, or glows at dusk.

I have observed full body paint on motorhomes is standard now, and I've stopped looking at the styles (except the Prevost unique paint jobs). Full painted 5th wheels are still indicative of high end units.....IMHO

Brian

PS - the clearcoat over the paint is really the reason it stands up and shines so nicely. The MSRP on my full body paint was ~$10,000.

Westwind

The Gelcoat on the sides of my 2012 Bighorn look great but the front and rear fiberglass caps are beginning to loose their shine. I wash our trailer often with the proper soap so I don't remove the wax which I put on at least 2 times a year but it doesn't help the front and rear cap. I wish they would do a white body paint, the Florida sun and full body paint can make for a hot trailer, dark colors can be tough in the sun when it comes to the heat.

danemayer

Curious, how do you know which model has full body paint? We've a 2015 Elkridge E30.

Hi Seeria,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Full body paint is an option on some models. Because the option runs close to $10,000, it's usually offered on the more expensive models like Landmark 365 and Bighorn.

Some models may come standard with color-infused gelcoat. This is a way of providing an attractive alternative to basic white without the high price tag.

If you visit the Heartlandrvs.com website, you can review the standard and optional features for each model.

Mburtsvt

While it’s true that the MSRP is around $10,000 at the end of the day if you’re getting 20-30% off of the total MSRP your real cost is around $8-7K. The actual cost is around $5-6K per unit. Still a bargain if you order a unit that has it as an option.