Faucet Leak

frumbawa

Our Sundance has the half bath at the back of the coach. While out camping last week, I noticed a trail of water coming out from under the vanity of the back bath and discovered a leak where the water line connects to the faucet. I hate to take the camper back to the dealer just for this since the dealer isn't that close. Under the vanity in the back bath isn't exactly the most spacious place to work and I'm not exactly sure how to go about it. From what I can tell, the "crimp" style connector isn't tight enough so water is getting out.

I'm looking for some suggestions on how to go about fixing the leak. Is there a way to crimp the connector more, do I change out the clamp some how, or do I break down and take the camper back to the dealer and let them figure it out?

Looking for advice from the experts.

Thanks.

Frank

jbeletti

Hi Frank,

You won't be able to re-crimp that fitting. Takes a tool that has rounded jaws. Saw one at Menards the other day. Over $100.

Note though that they have Pex adapter that are brass. It's has a barbed end for the Pex and other plumbing threads on the other end. They come in various sizes and with various threads.

If you want to do it yourself, I'd shut the water off, drain it down, unhook that connector from the fixture, cut off the fitting and fit in one of these brass barbed Pex adapters, if you can find one.

Jim

Forrest Fetherolf

</IMG>
aa2b7d7ab46c3bd9216a07cdca4ae879.jpg

If you have pliers like the photo (</IMG>), try to crimp the clamp tighter, if not, cut clamp off and replace with a speed clamp shown above.

Forrest

frumbawa

Thanks for the tips Jim, Forrest. My biggest concern is the tight proximity of the connection itself. I actually had to use a mirror to get up under and behind the sink to see where the leak is coming from. I'm not sure I can get a tool back there.

I will give it another look.

Thanks again.

jbeletti

Frank,

With the water off, unscrew the connector from the fixture and pull the line out of the vanity as far as you can. There may be some slack that can be pulled up as well. Then try to work over the fitting more in the open vs. while still connected to the fixture.

Best of luck!