I am wanting to pull a waverunner behind my Fifth Wheel 2016 Elkridge E30

jimtoo

Hi jarymoe,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure some of our other members that pull another trailer behind their unit will jump in soon with some suggestions for you.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

'Lil Guy'

Seems like the best way would be to tie into your trailer wires just inside your 1st compartment and route separate wires to the rear and a new plug. good luck with your endeavor.

OEFVET

If your going to tow a small waverunner trailer I would strongly recommend adding a rear camera. Those trailers are so small you could easily forget it's there. As for the trailer lights the best way is to run a separate circuit as baker suggested. The easier and wrong way would be to tap into your 5th wheel's rear lights at the rear of the 5th wheel.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
You've got bigger balls than I have . . . :p

Adding an extra trailer behind an already big burden is more than I would like to handle.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
One thing to keep in mind. You will void the frame warranty by installing a hitch and towing. Lots of people do it, just make sure you install a good hitch. 2 people have suggested you run all new wires. That's good suggestion. BUT, unless you run all the new wires from the TV off separate fuses. You have not really gained anything. Tapping into the trailer harness at the rear of the coach is no different than adding a trailer plug to the back of a car/truck. I would however install inline fuses in the new harness to protect the rest of the harness. Your choice as to how you do it.

GOTTOYS

It's only 2 tailights. I would just tap off the regular tailights and be done with it. The increased draw for power will be minimal especially if you have LED tailights on the new trailer. Again the hitch would be my main concern. It needs to be a real frame mounted hitch not one of those lightweight hitches that clamp onto a bumper. The bumper can barley support itself and it doesn't take much to get one to fall off....Don

JohnD

You may want to start from scratch and rewire you trailer and truck combo . . .

That is what it took to get our old trailer/truck combo to work.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
John, if he has a 7 pin plug and fairly new TV already, why would he need to rewire the whole thing?

Lynn1130

My biggest fear would be what I have seen a few times. A flat on a trailer that you cannot see behind you and the resulting damage to the second trailer not to mention the possibility that it flips back there and you cannot see it.

JohnD

Somehow I doubt that our 5th-wheel trailers are designed to handle another trailer behind them . . .

jarymoe

My last camper I did pull a boat behind no issues at all. I was just looking for the best way to get to the 4 wires I need.

Thanks