I don't get it.

creeper

Okay, the bed has a platform with a hinge and struts. You lift it up and the under bed storage or what is usually under bed storage is blocked off. What is the theory behind this?

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
The only thing I can figure is that they want to protect the slide mechanism under the bed. I just took the screws out and put my golf clubs and a few other things under there. When we move I put the clubs on the floor between the bed and closet.
Fred

pickuphunt

Underbed storage

I do a little wood working, so I removed the plywood cover over the slide. There are some 2X2 supports under the cover. I made some wood 'tubs' and secured them to these 2X2 supports, making sure there is enough clearance so the slide will move in and out without touching the floor. I have 3 tubs under there. Wife is soooooo happy. WFM (works for me)

cmart

We need a few more reponses on this one. I thought it was one of the holding tanks. The 5th wheels in my past life had completely open space underneath. Perhaps pickuphunt could show some pics of what he did????

pickuphunt

Underbed storage

I do have some photo's, sorry the wife has the 'tub's loaded.

Attachments

• Underbed I.jpg
    Underbed I.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 113
  • Underbed II.jpg
    Underbed II.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 115
  • Underbed III.jpg
    Underbed III.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 115

fivernine

Underbed detailed photos

The divider where the hinge attaches is used to stiffen the bed laterally. I suspect the Bighorn is not much different from the Landmark in bed construction. If you would like to see what it looks like in various stages of disassembly, I posted ten photos in the thread, "King to Queen Too: A Bed Conversion" in the Modifications (General) forum where I converted a king bed to a queen. There really isn't much additional storage available beyond the center divider toward the head of the bed when the slide is out. If you modify the center, be careful not to weaken or you will have a rather saggy bed. I had to stiffen the center with a piano hinge and a lateral stiffener to get the platform to stay straight. Also, watch out to stay clear of the motor and cabling.
--Rick

jbeletti

My 2009 Landmark Pinehurst has a large amount of storage space under the bed. At the head of the bed, I'd say about 2' from the top, there is a divider. This is where the bed platform is hinged. That front divided section houses a chain mechanism that is part of the slide-out mechanism. I'd say the interior volume of the storage area is "about" 5' long by 5' wide by 1' deep.

This area will vary by floor plan as the bedroom slide-out varies and uses different slide-out mechanisms (hydraulic rams, electric motors/chain/cables etc.) All this stuff has to be housed somewhere and I think this is what drives how much room will be left for storage.

Oldlthrnecksgirl

Hisyoungercuterwife
From what I have read before, they changed up the slider mechanism, made it heavier duty which took up some space under the bed. We not only utilize the space underneath for DH's golf clubs but also use the space on top for extra blankets and some seldom used clothing,,, Lizzy