2015 Dodge and TPMS

crussian

Hi Folks - my new dodge ( 1 ton) has a TPMS for the truck but I doubt its' accuracy. A couple of times that I've selected the view, all my tires were 2-5 lbs low. This is while sitting over night. I know tires fluctuate with temperatures and load but I thought that they'd be more accurate than that. Anyways, I am trying to find a TPMS for my Oakmont (switched from BlowMax to Sailuns). I had them install the metal stems at the time. I now have about 400 miles on the unit and I have found that I really do want to be able to monitor the tires. I have seen some posts on the TST 507 and some other model but I can't recall the name.

I've been RV's (read pulling 5th wheels) for around 11 years and I've never had a TPMS, but this Oakmont was not cheap and I don't want to forsake the safety for a few hundred dollars. At least the system would give me "some" warning that the pressure was dropping. Just looking for what folks are using on their daily travels.

Also, thinking of a back-up camera system. Don't have a lot of money but I know based on experience there are time I wish I had one.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

sengli

I have the TST 507 system, and have no complaints. It works and the batteries in the sending units are easy to change (about every 2 years). I also have a new 2014 RAM, I think the TPMS seems to be accurate so far. Seems as if the tires on our trailer jump about +10-12 PSI when they are running down the road on a 80 degree day.

hoefler

The TPMS system in the Ram trucks need the truck to be driven a short distance to get accurate readings after a cycle of the ignition. You can not simply turn the key on and get an accurate reading.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Cary:

My 2011 Ram came with a Tpms system and has been very accurate thus far. The numbers don't bounce around as with the Tpms 507 I have on my North Trail. That said, both systems are a must. It is normal for the 507's to have "up to" 2 psi difference but the vendor says if more, than they will exchange them. I enjoy the 507 however, have to admit, I cannot hear the very low beep if something goes on. I have to watch screen and also look for the flashing red light as my warning. Good luck...

Bohemian

Proper tire inflation pressures are "cold pressure". Any TPMS that would need several miles to read accurately would be useless. All that happens after several miles is that the tires heat up and the pressures increase. Those pressures should be several psi above the required cold inflation pressures.

I would check several hand help pressures with different gauges vs the TPMS cold readings when the tires are dead cold. It may be that the TPMS is correct and you have never read the cold inflation pressures with a hand held gauge. It also may be that it is reading low, then take it back to Ram and get it fixed. However, check first to make sure you know what is actually happening.

BTW: as a note. The Ram 3500 does not have a TPMS. They have a TPIS. The difference is that there is no monitor, no warnings, just the readings.

Last edited:

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
My 2011 Ram 2500 does give me an idiot tire pressure warning light...just not which tire until you go to the screen and then it will show the location and pressure of all 4 tires.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We used to have the Doran TPMS for RVs and it served us very well for well over 6 years. We have had the TST TPMS for the last couple of years and we like that one better. The major advantage is you can change the battery in the tire sensor yourself instead of have to buy a new sensor ($50) like you have to on the Doran. The other thing we like is we got the pass through sensors for the TST which means we do not have to remove the sensor to check air pressure of add air.

AAdams

So far we have had problems with 2 of the 6 sensors on our '14 RAM 3500. Took 5 weeks to get one since they are "on back order". Just one of the many, many problems.

Garypowell

You might want to check out the Valor system. It is what I have. I like the fact that it mounts inside of the wheels and I think that gives a more accurate reading of what is going on.

And as far as agreement between two systems of measuring pressure.....you'll have to pay a lot more money to get any independent instrumentation to agree on anything....much less these inexpensive TPMS systems. Don't get me wrong they are expensive.....but they are by no means lab quality.

camr

When I had my 2014 3500 DRW in for an oil change last week, I was informed of a tech bulletin regarding changing out the sensors. Of course none are in stock, so I am waiting for a call when they are received at the dealership. My guess is that the replacements are due to crappy, unreliable senders, not due to accuracy.
I had the left front one die within the first week of ownership. Since then I have no complaints, and find the readings as accurate as a Milton gauge. As noted above by Bohemian, the vehicle must be driven a short distance for the system to accurately measure the pressure.
Other than a couple of weeks of **** solving a DEF system freeze up at -30C temps last winter, (two pumps, one wiring harness) the truck has been trouble free, and pulls the heavy coach wonderfully. Far less problems than my previous 2011 F-250.

danemayer

Other than a couple of weeks of solving a DEF system freeze up at -30C temps last winter, (two pumps, one wiring harness) the truck has been trouble free, and pulls the heavy coach wonderfully.

Our 2014 RAM also got a couple of DEF pumps and a new ambient sensor last winter. Our 2011 GMC had similar DEF problems. The system worked fine but the sensors would fail.

dlw930

I had my sensors replaced on my 2011 Chevy 3500HD DRW last winter before the TSB came out. Check Engine light came on. I took it in to shop. Bill was $650 to replace sensor. Reminded them that it was part of emissions warranty. They erased the 6 and the 5 and I went home happy on Friday afternoon. Next Monday I was driving home from Fort Worth and Check Engine light came on again. Tuesday I had a different sensor put it at no charge. I haven't had any problems since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk