phelpo

I read on one of these threads a retired plumber
said to use "plumber's grease" on the toilet
seal.

WOW did that work. Mine wasn't holding
water and I had been using Vaseline to
help seal the water.

But plumber's greased has fixed the problem
so far. I plan on using it every time it leaks.
Hopefully a long time before I have to
replace the seal.

Thanks plumber
Phelpo

bsuds

It's just silicone grease, I thought silicone was supposed to be good for use on rubber?

Just going by what it says here.

[h=4]PRODUCT OVERVIEW[/h] [h=2]Model # 30620[/h] [h=2]Internet # 203489444[/h] [h=2]Store SKU # 690978[/h]

A special combination of lithium soaps, solvent refined base stocks and additives. Formulated for many plumbing applications. Makes hard turning faucets work smoothly.

• Lubricates stems of faucets, valves, ballcocks etc.
  • Not for use on rubber or synthetic O-rings
  • Waterproof
  • Will not melt like ordinary grease

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
There is an RVer fix for the leaking ball seal on the toilet. Spray it with Pledge furniture polish. Push the foot pedal down, use a toilet brush to clean the seal (wear gloves) and then spray the seal with Pledge. Then close the opening and spray some pledge in the toilet and let it sit. That should fix it. It may take several applications. It has worked for us.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
All I did was pour a quart or so of very hot water into the bowl and let it sit for a minute or 2 then hold the pedal down while pushing the seal down all the way around. The seal cools with the shape applying a bit more pressure to the ball. Problem solved

kowAlski631

There is an RVer fix for the leaking ball seal on the toilet. Spray it with Pledge furniture polish. Push the foot pedal down, use a toilet brush to clean the seal (wear gloves) and then spray the seal with Pledge. Then close the opening and spray some pledge in the toilet and let it sit. That should fix it. It may take several applications. It has worked for us.

What a great tip - New one to us and we've been RVers and boaters (large ones) for over 45 years. You never learn all the handy dandy tips. Just goes to show you - never assume that a hint/way to work around/alternative use for something is common knowledge. Thanks, Jim and Sheila

Martha

Mrsfish

Maybe we should start a new thread called 'homegrown fixes and remedies'. Could contain the geo method for black tanks, this pledge moment and others. Could be good resource????

jolar3329

I replaced the ball and seal. When the same problem reappeared I greased it with silicone. When it continued to stick, I replaced it with a better toilet. End of problem.

kowAlski631

You might find our owner-written user guides helpful. They contain loads of tips and some common modifications. Here's a link.

Those are great, but I think what we were thinking of are the out of the box fixes or methods not found in the normal sources. Like using a flea collar to keep wasps (and other flying stinging insects) away from the propane tanks.

Martha

GOTTOYS

All I did was pour a quart or so of very hot water into the bowl and let it sit for a minute or 2 then hold the pedal down while pushing the seal down all the way around. The seal cools with the shape applying a bit more pressure to the ball. Problem solved
This is the method recommended in the owners manual for the toilet. This has always worked for me without fail...Don

olcoon

We've got the Dometic 310 toilet in our coach. Periodically the toilet will start leaking. I'll do the standard things-pour hot water in the bowl, let it set then flush, clean the seal with Vaseline, etc. Recently it started leaking again, I did my "home remedy" & that worked, for a while & it started leaking. Broke down & got a new seal, and while I had it out I noticed that at the back of the ball valve there was a big calcium/chemical buildup, no matter what I did I couldn't get it removed. Went to Wally World & got a jug of CLR. First tried pouring it on the area, & that didn't work. Then I put a paper towel over the area, poured the CLR on it so get it good & wet. Then I let it set for about 15 minutes. First go around didn't remove it 100%, so I put some more on there to soak, and that the job with very little effort. So far it hasn't leaked, now to see what happens long term.

BobnBet

After 2 years of having problems with our Thetford toilet in our 2013 Bighorn, I finally fixed it after I had tried everything mentioned on the forum. I put drops of machine oil on three places on the mechanisms behind the foot pedal...all connected to the valves that control the water and the ball seating and pivot points. This was done while the toilet was turned upside down and then turned on its side with the pedal on top. It has now been working very smoothly and closes the ball quicker and tighter than it ever has. Finally!

danemayer

I recognize this is an older thread, but how often do people find they have to clean the seal like this?

I just wipe the seal clean about once a month or so. Once or twice a year I'll put hot water in the bowl, let it sit for a minute, and then shape the rubber for a better seal. That's it.

Oh yes, wash my hands.:p