Traveling With Large Dog

'Lil Guy'

Retiring the end of this year and have one problem. We're going to do a lot of traveling and wondering if it's possible to do it with a large dog. Seems it would really limit our away time. At home, we pay our neighbor to take care of her when we're away. Just not reasonable to take a dog everywhere you go. Are their dog sitters available? How do you leave your pet? Hate to get rid of her since she seems like family. Another question is should she be staked when outside with you? Don't know whether to start looking for her another home or to try and take on this adventure.
Any input would be helpful and thanks in advance.

szewczyk_john

I travel with 3 boxers normally. Not the largest of dogs but three of them together makes a lot of dog. I have a toy hauler and all of my dogs are crate trained. So they travel in the crates and are crated when we step out. They are well behaved and do not bark when crated. We always clean up after them right away and the are always on leashes. There are a lot of campgrounds that are pet friendly and have off leash areas with fenced in play yards. I can leave my dogs for 8-10 hours and they will be OK. I just don't like doing that to them.

It can be done.

JanAndBill

Retiring the end of this year and have one problem. We're going to do a lot of traveling and wondering if it's possible to do it with a large dog. Seems it would really limit our away time. At home, we pay our neighbor to take care of her when we're away. Just not reasonable to take a dog everywhere you go. Are their dog sitters available? How do you leave your pet? Hate to get rid of her since she seems like family. Another question is should she be staked when outside with you? Don't know whether to start looking for her another home or to try and take on this adventure.

That's the beauty of the RV lifestyle, we love our pets and wouldn't be without them. We started out with three babies a Brittney, a Yorkie, and a Boxer. The first two, passed away after long lives leaving only the Boxer. There's no reason you can't take your "other" family members with you, just be sure and plan accordingly.

Most RV parks are pet friendly, but it's always a good idea to check first, rather than show up and find out they don't. Also be aware that some parks might have restrictions on breeds and/or size. Most of the time, our remaining baby is good and we can leave her in the RV with the TV on, and don't have any problems. However, if we know we are going to be away longer than a couple of hours we will crate her in the RV. She sometimes has separation anxiety now that she's the only child and will be mischievous. As to outside, nothing is more annoying to me then for someone to have their dog outside and it barks at everyone, or races to end of the leash to lunge at every passer by. Some people have well mannered pets that lay quietly at their site, but many do not. If your dog is barking at everything in sight, leave them inside.

Most parks have leash laws, that require that your pet be on a 6' leash, which many choose to ignore by using a 25' rewinding type leash. We walk our Boxer on a 6' leash and maintain control at all times. We can pass other dogs and never hear a peep out of her, but if someone allows their dog to run up on her on a 25' leash without warning, she will attack. She is trained to protect.

The distance and the time you plan on being gone, would determine the amount of health records you carry with you. At the least you would need up to date vaccination records, but if you're going to be gone for awhile a copy of your dogs health record from your vet will help an emergency vet take better care of your pet. If you haven't already, I would also suggest you have her micro-chipped.

Carry a pooper scooper or bags, and ALWAYS PICKUP. No one wants to step in dog crap.

Otherwise having a dog on board is no different then having one at home. Enjoy

'Lil Guy'

Our dog is afraid of her own shadow. I think she was mistreated before we got her. She isn't aggressive and seldom barks and seems to love everyone. She wants to be right by you and thinks she is a 70lb lap dog. By crate, are you talking about a wire kennel? I married a pooper scooper.lol

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I have 3 Welsh Springers that we travel with . They go everywhere with us . They are crate trained also this way they stay out of trouble. I have a ex pin that we carry around with us so they can be outside with us. There are different kinds of crates so it just depends on what works for you .I have 2 sky kennels and 1 wire . Good luck !!

Hogladyrider

We just lost our 120 lb mastiff/boxer who traveled with us for years. Highly recommend a ramp for entry/exit from the RV as the steps are dangerous for a dog to catch a paw or leg.

We always walked Diesel before we would leave him and when we returned. We would close the blinds to limit distractions and leave the radio on. We never had a problem.

Our dogs are never staked always on a 6 ft leash next to us outside. Often parks have off leash areas for pets. Always pick up after your fur kid.

Having a pet is a huge responsibility and unfortunately I see more irresponsible pet owners these days. Like Memorial day weekend 2 pm the heat of the day here in Florida I see a couple walking a young black dog who's tongue is dragging and visibly panting walking him on hot asphalt. I could not help myself I asked them if he was ok he looks like he is experiencing heat stroke. The response was we are trying to get him home. DUMB.

You can easily travel with a big dog.

JanAndBill

One other thing the previous poster mentioned, invariably you will encounter pavement while walking your dog. If it's hot enough to fry an egg on the asphalt it will fry your dog's feet as well, please be careful. Another danger to be aware of on pavement, is the possibility of antifreeze puddles. Antifreeze is HIGHLY poisonous to dogs, and sweet to the taste, one lick is all it takes.

Also as the previous posted noted, the stairs into the RV can be dangerous for a larger dog. They seem to have trouble judging the steps.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
We always take Callie (90#) with us. If we are going to leave for few hours, we walk her to have a poop or pee pee break. One thing we always do is, we talk to our neighbors and ask them if anything happens...will you please let her out. The door is left open with the screen door closed. We also put the outside step assist handle across the screen door. Her leash is also hung on the handle so its easy to get to. She seems happy to lay in my chair and watch the "animal plant" on TV. We have never had any problems with this in 5 years. BTW, she always has water and food available inside.

Tundra2084

We travel with 3 fur kid's and accommodate them and our backs with a ramp. We got the ramp after our last cocker went suddenly blind. He always traveled with us and made trips from Ontario Canada to California, Texas, Maine, Nova Scotia, North and South Dakota, Colorado and points in between. He made a yearly trip to Florida and loved every minute of it. We are the owners, care givers and sarrogate parents to these loving animals and take this responsibility very seriously, and we would not think of leaving our human kids home on these adventures and our pets are an extension of our family, so they go with us as well.
We now travel with a Sheltie that has some arthritis and is going on 12 yrs old. We also have 2 Cocker Spaniels, one who in the past 7 months has had to have both knees operated on, and crucial ligaments repaired. Both the Sheltie (Sadie) and Cocker (Jessie) use the ramp to get in and out of our Truck and if needed the Fiver as well.
I understand that some think we are nuts for going the extra distance for the comfort and safety of our pets, but we look at it from the standpoint of when you get an animal you have it for the life of the pet. We rescued all 3 of our dogs and all three have been a blessing and curse at times. No we can't just go out without some sort of time limit, but it's a small price to pay knowing that they are excited and happy to see us when we get back. We always close the blinds, turn on the TV and air conditioner and give them chews to keep them busy. We also put a bark collar that has citronella in it, on the sheltie if we think she might bark while gone to keep her quiet. We try to respect our neighbors and they are always on a leash as well. When walked we have bags attached to the leashes as well, and always clean up after them. Noting more annoying than seeing someone walking their dogs and letting them poop on a site and then walk off like it didn't happen.
I guess my point is IF you take the time to ensure that the dog is safe and quiet then you should not have a problem, but if your not wanting or willing to restrict time away or the dog isn't accustomed to traveling or being alone then maybe it's best to rehome him or her for both of your sakes. Just saying some times it's best to not bring them or own them if your not into restrictions on your time or plans. It's not fair to you or the pet no matter the size.
On other thing is that we make it a point to stop after 2 hours of traveling to let them out for a bathroom and water break. When out of the vehicle please be aware of Diesel fuel on the ground as it Will burn the pads of a dog's foot if not washed off quickly.

Rottiesmom

New York Chapter Leader - retired
We have two Rottweiler's my female is around 75LBS and my male is 130LBS. We traveling with them all the time except when some campgrounds do not allow their breeds. They love to go camping! We have a F350 dually that my husband made a padded bench to go over the back seat and a ramp for them to get into the truck (helps to cushion their joints) and they have plenty of room to stretch out. They both have their side of the truck and my male is snoring in about 1/2 hour on the road. We have a 40' Landmark where there is enough room for all of us to move around comfortable and even in our Bighorn which was smaller we had plenty of room. When we first started camping with an SOB we used a create for them to become accustomed to the new surrounding and they loved having their safe zone I still have it up in my home and they both will go in it at times even together. When we are sitting outside we always have them on long leashes anchored to the steps of the camper (I do not like or use the wired with red vinyl coated leashes as it can cause major injury to them and us) and they enjoy being outside with us. Dogs should never be left unattended outside for an extended period of time and you not around your camper. I never take my dogs for long walks on a hot day or even let them sit outside for awhile dogs are effective by the heat quicker than us humans. I know in my life my dogs have always become a big part of the family and I am guilty of spoiling them rotten but the unconditional love I receive from them is my payoff. On the trips we can't take them they give us such a look of disappointment and sadness it breaks my heart. Before giving the dog up I would do a trial period with them and see how they adapt to travel sometimes dogs will amaze us into how quickly they adapt to new adventures.

Last edited:

StarryNight

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
We traveled with our 140 pound Newfoundland, Merlin. Because of Merlin's size, our strength and the "slope" of the rv stairs and the height of the back seat of our F450 my husband Don made a ramp that we carried in the bed of the truck. The ramp had strips of non-skid material and was wide enough to accommodate Merlin's size as well as the width of the truck door and the rv door. Whenever we were putting Merlin into the truck/rv or getting him out we would stand on either side of him to help keep him from leaping or falling (he was NOT a fan of the ramp).
**we also put carpet pieces around the rv steps...unfortunately the holes are a hazard to toenails!!! We have heard some horror stories about dogs having their toenails torn out because they get caught in the holes, especially as they descend the stairs!!
**we bought a large piece of foam (from a craft store) that fit across the back seat so Merlin would be comfy and his feet/legs would not get stuck. I made a cover for it so it could be kept clean.
**we cut out pieces of carpet and attached magnetic strips to cover the vents in the living room/kitchen(so he wouldn't get his feet cut/stuck).
We kept copies of his vet/medical records in the truck and were always mindful of the amount of his medications were on hand/needed for our travels (heartworm, etc...)
Merlin's personality was such that he could be left in the rv without him having "problems". He wasn't a barker, in fact he was pretty much a "slug" :) He was a member of the family.

Crumgater

We take the RV so we CAN take the dog. I hate leaving her home and vacation without her just isn't as fun.

Here's our "little" girl in the truck, ready to travel! She's a 155lbs English Mastiff, Canine Good Citizen certified. She's 3 yrs old now, and has been "camping" with us from the time she was 5 months old.

attachment.php

We put a cushion on the folded flat back seat in the F350 where she loves to ride. She's naps most of the time in the car.

A few more pictures, including one of her 'cot' style outside bed. We like the 'coolaroo' better than this one, but either one keeps the dog bed up out of the dirt and/or puddles, which is a wonderful thing. She also loves the bed, so I guess it's comfy, too. Although, she does prefer the cushy love-seat inside the RV for serious sleeping. :)

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20140707_165829.jpg
    20140707_165829.jpg
    556.1 KB · Views: 227
  • P1060910.jpg
    P1060910.jpg
    886.2 KB · Views: 223
  • 20141025_140846.jpg
    20141025_140846.jpg
    789.8 KB · Views: 226

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired

de231065d61e83d3f01383989a30cc67.jpg

Wouldn't think of leaving her behind. She's almost 12 yrs old and is definitely family. She copes well with the change of scenery every few days, travels well on the back seat of the SD, and is one of the reasons for the camper. We have never been turned away from an overnight spot although we have been asked to confirm her rabies vaccination which you definitely need if traveling into Canada. We can leave her behind in the camper while sightseeing although her age is now dictating how long that can be. We've been at parks that have the name of a dog sitter or a kennel if you need that service. All places will require your pet be leashed and never left outside unattended.
Get yourself lots of poopy bags!!! It's a must to clean up after your pet. Nothing worse than some others dog poop left in the pet area or elsewhere.

Currently in Fairbanks AK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snow

Not sure how long you've had your dog but and this is me saying this but there is absolutely no way I could ever find my furry friend a new home ,I guess Iam getting soft hearted in my older years but my dogs are family ,they are small ,yorkie and toy poodle so not to hard to take places with us ,the poodle has is own stroller that he gets pushed in lol .and yes it does limit our time but I wouldn't have it any other way. Good luck ⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️

'Lil Guy'

Thanks for the replies. I guess it's a personal thing and I would hate to give her up. We'll see how it goes.

buddyboy

I

We traveled with our small dogs (pug and toy poodle). Our toy poodle had congestive heart failure and was on several meds twice a day. We timed our away from the campsite to insure she got her meds appropriately. She traveled with us for 7 months when she crossed the rainbow bridge. After a few months, our family grew when a puppy joined us, so we had to housebreak on the road. Guess what I'm attempting to say is that if your dog is a member of your family, it'll all work out. Pick up after always, don't allow constant or long disturbance, and take with you whenever possible. Have fun together.

rdufek

We travel with our St Bernard Penelope. We most recently traveled from New York to Florida. She travels beautifully in my Dodge 3500 CC DRW. We have a BH 3750FL where we set up a crate for her when we are going out and she cannot travel with us. She loves camping and we have gone to several campgrounds that have dog parks so she can run around and stretch out. Look forward to several more trips this year with her traveling with us.

Bob & Valerie

RottsNScotts

So glad you answered Rottiesmom! I too have 2 Rotties, Abby at 11 1/2 years and 105 pounds and Boomer at 15 months, about 110 as well as Buster, the 12 1/2 year Scottie who, of course, is the dog in charge having raised both Rotties!

I am inching my way towards getting my first trailer - a toy hauler - to go 24/7 and have been warned that many places would not allow my Rotten dogs. Sounds like there are enough places that allow them that it will work!

My other concern is that I do home cook for my dogs, no dog food for these guys!, and that takes a bit of room, freezer wise here at home.

Do you feed dog food or do you do home cook/raw? If you home cook/raw, how do you work it?

Thanks!

Janet

We have two Rottweiler's my female is around 75LBS and my male is 130LBS. We traveling with them all the time except when some campgrounds do not allow their breeds. They love to go camping! We have a F350 dually that my husband made a padded bench to go over the back seat and a ramp for them to get into the truck (helps to cushion their joints) and they have plenty of room to stretch out. They both have their side of the truck and my male is snoring in about 1/2 hour on the road. We have a 40' Landmark where there is enough room for all of us to move around comfortable and even in our Bighorn which was smaller we had plenty of room. When we first started camping with an SOB we used a create for them to become accustomed to the new surrounding and they loved having their safe zone I still have it up in my home and they both will go in it at times even together. When we are sitting outside we always have them on long leashes anchored to the steps of the camper (I do not like or use the wired with red vinyl coated leashes as it can cause major injury to them and us) and they enjoy being outside with us. Dogs should never be left unattended outside for an extended period of time and you not around your camper. I never take my dogs for long walks on a hot day or even let them sit outside for awhile dogs are effective by the heat quicker than us humans. I know in my life my dogs have always become a big part of the family and I am guilty of spoiling them rotten but the unconditional love I receive from them is my payoff. On the trips we can't take them they give us such a look of disappointment and sadness it breaks my heart. Before giving the dog up I would do a trial period with them and see how they adapt to travel sometimes dogs will amaze us into how quickly they adapt to new adventures.

Wmnmy

attachment.php
We travel with our fur family 138 pound Italian mastiff and bishon have been to many rally's they travel very well they have the back seat of out f350 and we can leave them in trailer for 4-5 hours no problem barking disturbing neighbors sit around camp fires I think they like it more lol... Some campgrounds don't except bully breeds so we don't go there you will not have a problem..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 190

'Lil Guy'

I just came back to this thread and was just wondering where you carry the saddle for that thing. Along with the 500# of dog food you would have to carry, that's a load.lol Really a beautiful dog though. I doubt you have many burglars breaking in.