Installing Garmin BC-20 Back-Up Camera

dlw930

I'm in the process of fishing the camera cable for the Garmin BC-20 camera. I want to install it just below the middle clearance light near the top of the rear end cap. My plan was to pull the cable from the middle clearance light hole to the upper clearance light hole on the corner of the passenger side, then down one of the tail lights. I managed to accomplish the first part, but run into something about 2 feet up from the taillight that keeps my fish wire from going further. I'm wondering if anyone has run this route successfully during the camera install or if anyone knows what might be stopping the wire and if there's a work around. The coach is a 2013 Landmark Key Largo. Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlw930

Update: made a quick run to Home Depot and came home with a 25' electrician's fish tape. Problem solved!

dlw930

From the tail light, I removed a few of the screws from the cellular underbelly covers and ran the wire forward a few feet and then over to the main frame I beam, running the wire under the angled stiffener plates on the lower beam flange where they occurred. At the front storage bay, I ran the wire through an existing hole in the metal wall and across to the 12v bus bar. When I can find a supply, I plan to put the wire inside some corrugated flexible conduit that runs along the I beam to protect it from weather and road debris.

pegmikef

Hey Dave, does that camera have a separate transmitter or is it built in to the camera like Voyager?

dlw930

It's separate, Mike. I mounted the transmitter in the front storage bay to minimize interference from metal. When unhooked from the coach, I've got the video signal in the truck from several hundred yards away.

pegmikef

So is that a separate wire from the camera that you had to run when you ran the power wire? Thanks for the info as I am kind of looking at a camera and have been looking at voyager. Oh yeah, one more question. Is the camera/transmitter always on or can you turn it off somehow (thinking of battery drain)?

dlw930

Mike, I have the Garmin camera that works with their RV760 GPS display. It has a cable that runs from the camera to the transmitter and another cable from the transmitter to 12vdc power. As I have it wired now, it's always on (except when I use the battery disconnect in storage) but if it was wired to a backup light or running light, it would not always be on, of course. I usually travel with my running lights on regardless of time of day or weather, so I'll probably rewire the power to a running light. I was running out of time getting the rig ready to leave for Goshen and just did the "quick and dirty" hookup. It's been too hot since then to fool with it.

dlw930

I should say that I occasionally like to see what's behind me and how close it is when I'm on the highway so I doubt that I'll hook the power to a backup light. One disadvantage of the Garmin camera is you can't view the navigation screen and the camera image simultaneously. You have to touch the screen to toggle from one to the other.

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
You're saying the Garmin camera or the Garmin RV760? Would other cameras with this GPS eliminate this disadvantage?

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
I'm in the process of fishing the camera cable for the Garmin BC-20 camera. I want to install it just below the middle clearance light near the top of the rear end cap. My plan was to pull the cable from the middle clearance light hole to the upper clearance light hole on the corner of the passenger side, then down one of the tail lights. I managed to accomplish the first part, but run into something about 2 feet up from the taillight that keeps my fish wire from going further. I'm wondering if anyone has run this route successfully during the camera install or if anyone knows what might be stopping the wire and if there's a work around. The coach is a 2013 Landmark Key Largo. Dave

I attached the wiring by loosening the underbelly screws and then tucked the wire into the underbelly. There were a few area were I just used a cable spot tie to attach it to the frame. The most important issue is to make sure the transmitter is near the front of the trailer so when you turn on the camera it works right away. I also powered the camera using the running lights. So if I am driving and want to see what is behind me I just turn on the running lights and the camera comes on. The only issue is that when you put on the windshield wipers the running lights come on about a minute later and the camera will just come on. The GPS will allow you to go back to the GPS screen just by tapping on it so no big deal. The camera has been a life saver when I have been on some very congested highways and some one is hovering behind my RV and I had no idea they were there.

dlw930

You're saying the Garmin camera or the Garmin RV760? Would other cameras with this GPS eliminate this disadvantage?

I doubt that it is as much of an issue with the hardware as it is with the software in the GPS unit. The camera comes with a "PND" module that attaches to the back of the RV760 and syncs with the wireless transmitter on the coach. I doubt that other cameras and transmitters would work with this setup. If you really want to view the navigation screen and camera image at the same time, I think you need a separate monitor for the camera.

pegmikef

Thanks for the info Dave. Yeah, we know about hot, in fact we are going to visit Jay and Stella at Creed, CO next week to escape the heat