Shade cords

Donna1098

a4688a0cbae5933eeb7665a645d97648.jpg

Anyone had success covering these cords? One of our dogs will surely chew the plastic knob and string. Hubby suggested different blinds but if we can protect these thingies I'd rather do that.
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pegmikef

MCD shades don't use cords and work a lot better at blocking heat and light than the accordion blinds.

dlw930

That's what I told Donna, Mike. Not sure what it would cost to replace with the MCD's though.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you're handy, Levelor vertical blinds make an excellent replacement.

rjr6150

Replaced all ours with MCD last month. Not that expensive and if your handy really easy.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
That's what I told Donna, Mike. Not sure what it would cost to replace with the MCD's though.

You can call MCD in McKinney (Near Dallas) TX and they can give you a quote over the phone if you have the measurements. Go to their website for more info. We sent them our measurements and then stopped by their factory in McKinney to pick them up. We actually ordered them in Indiana and them picked them up in McKinney on our way back home. That way we did not have to pay shipping or sales tax. They are really simple to install if you know how to use a screwdriver. We love ours. Yesterday afternoon the outside temp was 93, then sun was shining directly on the large rear window. I used our IR thermometer and measured the window temp at 97 the day shade temp at 92 and the night shade temp at 89. Just shows how much heat it blocks. BTW the temp of the air coming out of the AC vent was 57.

jmgratz

I forgot to say that the MCD factory does have RV sites where you can stay if you want them to install the shades. You arrive on Sun/Mon and they measure on Mon and install them on Wed/Thur. You can get them powered or manual.

Donna1098

I have learned to dislike these shades very much! They always open lopsided or the cord has to be tightened to allow the blind to open. Looking forward to some day replacing them!

JanAndBill

Donna-
Wait till one of the thin cords they use, frays and breaks. The big blind in our coach did this. We still haven't fixed it, trying to decide if we want to replace it with something else or fix it.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Verticals are an option, but you'll need to have access to some tools. Modifying the upper valance to accommodate the slats is required. I stripped the material from the flimsy valances and made new boxes from plywood and used the fabric to cover them. Cannibalized the lambroquins (side valances) for their fabric, too. Much easier to operate, especially the big rear window. I've done the four main slide windows, two small rear windows, and the hall window.

And yes, I've posted these photos before (so sue me).

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
The shade in the big rear window of our 2015 Prowler was screwed up the day we bought it.

Waiting for dealer to get a new one from Heartland.

Was hoping to have it in by the Colorado HOC Rally next week, but doesn't look like that will happen.

ProwlerDefectsWindowShade-P1000305.jpg ProwlerDefectsRearWindowShade-P1000776.jpg

It is kind of a drag not being able to open that shade all the way as we don't get much of a cross breeze with the shade only halfway up.

jmgratz

Has anyone left the accordion blinds and install night shades over top?

The 'accordion' blinds are commonly called day/night shades. There are two 'accordion' shades. One lighter in color which is the day shade and the other is darker in color which is the night shade. If you want something that works and IMHO looks better take a look at the MCD shades. They are day/night shades with the day being a screen type and the night being a 'window shade' type. They come in manual and power versions. They work like the home window shades. We replaced our accordion shades with the MCD shades.

pegmikef

Has anyone left the accordion blinds and install night shades over top?

Space is limited so that wouldn't work. The MCD day and night shades are installed one on top of the other. The day shade comes down from wall side of the roller and the night shade comes down from the out side of its roller.

The accordian night shade is a joke if you expect it to actually block much light.

jmgratz

Thanks. I didn't realize the mcd had two different physical shades. I'll look into those

I have attached some photos of the MCD shades so you can better understand how and what they are.

The clip in the photo is mounted on the valance and it clips to the top of the shade bracket.

Attachments

• mcd shade 2.JPG
    mcd shade 2.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 32
  • mcd shade 1.JPG
    mcd shade 1.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 34
  • mcd clips.JPG
    mcd clips.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 33
  • mcd shade 3.JPG
    mcd shade 3.JPG