Steel Stems on the Bighorn

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
I have a question. Today my local trailer repair store declined my request to replace all the rubber stems on my 16" Mission tires, as he said you cannot utilize that option when you have Aluminum rims. I just bought the tire pressure pro from Pat McFall but was curious if anyone has a different opinion.

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
I have aluminum wheels on my Landmark and it came with steel valve stems but it could have something to do with the pressure rating for the wheels. I also have the pressure pro on my truck and trailer and had to change out the stems on my truck to steel because the weight of the sensors on the rubber stems along with the centrifugal force at driving speed caused them them to break at the point where they go through the wheels.

Don

theharveys

I replaced all my rubber stems on my last fifth wheel with steel because I had to use the spare tire one time and the rubber stem broke when I put 80 lbs pressure in the tire. The rubber stem had hardened and cracked while the tire hung under the trailer.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I replaced the Valve Stems on my aluminum rims when I got rid of the Mission tires with Michelin XPS Rib.

If your going to keep the Mission tires take the trailer to a Discount tire store have them replace the Valve Stems and then balance the tires. The Mission tires will probably need to be balanced anyway. If you don't balance the tires it will jar your trailer and could cause you problems.

FWIW

Delaine and Lindy

Really I would go to another tire shop. Our Landmark came with metal valve stems and it was good to see the at least one RV company moving in to the real time. I have had Aluminum wheels on three 5th wheels and had metal stems installed on all. I have metal stems on all my trailers, and just move the PPS sensors to what ever trailer I'm towing at the time. Good decision on using Mike and Pat they will stand behind their products. In the past I tried to use the rubber stems with the sensors and the rubber stems will have problems . GBY...

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
My stems were replaced with metal when I got my new tires. I agree with the previous posters. Go to another tire shop.
Fred

Delaine and Lindy

I just got back from having metal valve stems installed on my Gooseneck equipment trailer. And ask the Manager if he had ever heard of a problem installing metal stems in a Aluminum wheels, said no there isn't a problem, and as for as he knew there never has been. He said just look at all the 18 wheelers running Aluminum wheel on the Truck and trailer, they all have metal stems. GBY.....

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Larry, I have never heard of that before. All new cars come with steel stems because of the tire montering systems. Most cars now have aluminum wheels. Your tire guy needs a refresher course for the 21st century:confused:. See Larry, I am sticking up for you, and congrads on the parking today, you made it.None Bob:D:D:eek:

DennisZ

Larry
You really need the metal valve stems when you put the sensors on the wheels, I think there is a warning about using them on rubber valve stems, you are 100% correct to put on metal valve stems ( almost hate to agree with Bob, LOL).

Dennis