24BHS under bunk storage

ELC

So we realized after spending a few nights in our new North Trail 24BHS that we needed some storage. The storage overall we found to be great, but we were left needing easy access space for the kids bags. So I lifted up the bottom bunk and removed the plywood/osb support to see if there was any space that was not utilized. What I found was and area about 24" tall x 24" wide x about 6ft long that only had a few pipes and water lines.

I began a search for some materials that would match the interior laminate wood trim and finish. To my surprise my local Menard's store stocked veneered particle board and trim accessories that matched perfectly. So the modification began with materials all planned out.

First I built a frame work from 2x3 lumbers to support the storage platform. I raised it a few inches over all the water pipes, drain lines, and heat duct. White I had everything open I moved the plug on the wall down and installed 2 additional plugs, one on each bunk for the kids phones, games, fans, etc. Next I installed 1/2 osb to created the support platform. I left the OSB loose so it can be removed to access all the plumbing if needed in the future. Over the OSB I installed the veneer particle board on the sides and the floor. I finished off the opening with some base trim and corner trim that also matched the interior. Oh I also added an LED light that matched the rest of the interior camper lights. The result is a storage space for my kids bags and it even fits my sons guitar case.

I will post a picture if I can figure out how.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20150607_203909.jpg
    20150607_203909.jpg
    650.3 KB · Views: 530
  • 20150607_203918.jpg
    20150607_203918.jpg
    598.8 KB · Views: 521
Last edited:

d_fergie

Cool idea!, depending on this forums setup you may need 5 posts before you can post attachments, you should see above the reply window an insert image option, from that you can insert pictures.

ELC

Thanks. I have a few more mods in mind for fishing pole storage in outdoor kitchen area. I hopefully will have time to make them this summer.

ELC

Cool idea!, depending on this forums setup you may need 5 posts before you can post attachments, you should see above the reply window an insert image option, from that you can insert pictures.

Thanks for tip. It will only allow to add photo as URL I will do some more research. Definitely would be a lot nicer to show a picture then just a description of the process.

d_fergie

Thanks for tip. It will only allow to add photo as URL I will do some more research. Definitely would be a lot nicer to show a picture then just a description of the process.
Been awhile since I've attached with vb, go Advanced (beside quick reply button) then scroll down and you should see option below to manage attachments. :) Need to get my North Trail on the road soon, been awhile.

ELC

Been awhile since I've attached with vb, go Advanced (beside quick reply button) then scroll down and you should see option below to manage attachments. :) Need to get my North Trail on the road soon, been awhile.

Thanks for the info on attachments. Just added two showing the space and additional plugs with wall mounted fans in the bunks.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Thanks for the info on attachments. Just added two showing the space and additional plugs with wall mounted fans in the bunks.

Now that you've got a couple of photos in the 'manage attachments' page, in your next post, click on 'manage attachments', then drag each photo that you want to post to the bottom left corner of the page, then when you have the photos you want down at the bottom, go to the bottom right of the page and click 'insert online'.

Once you do that, you can close the 'manage attachments' window and you photos will be inserted into you post . . . just like this:

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• ProwlerInYard-P1000054.jpg
    ProwlerInYard-P1000054.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 473
  • ProwlerLivingroomFromStairs-P5160705.jpg
    ProwlerLivingroomFromStairs-P5160705.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 477
  • ProwlerInYard-P1000056.jpg
    ProwlerInYard-P1000056.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 469
This is awesome what you did!! I figures there was a lot of storage under the bunks.. How did you run electricity up the walls to put in the fans and outlets.. The pictures are great..

cspahn

This looks great ELC ! We have a Sundance XLT 24BHSS so I am wondering if we have similar space available... Do you have the small storage door in the back of your trailer over the bumper?

Jcamp

I have looked in mine under bathroom sink and not too much can be done,i am new here just picked up 24bhs about 1 month ago ,and did little different with the storage under bunk beds ,installed 2 drawers ,which will work better for my kids to have close in those ,but bath storage different story ,under sink you have water lines for exterior shower,

danemayer

I have looked in mine under bathroom sink and not too much can be done,i am new here just picked up 24bhs about 1 month ago ,and did little different with the storage under bunk beds ,installed 2 drawers ,which will work better for my kids to have close in those ,but bath storage different story ,under sink you have water lines for exterior shower,

Hi Jcamp,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and thanks for sharing.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

Welcome to the forum . . .

And think about joining the Colorado HOC (Heartland Owner's Club) . . .

We have a Rally coming up in a little over a month from now in Buena Vista . . . and they are a blast!