New Bighorn

LeeM

HappyCamper
Well our new 3055 Bighorn has arrived, and we get to bring her home next week after our orientation. I'm thrilled and nervous at the same time. We had a 26' trailer before the Bighorn, and this is so much bigger......lol. How easy are they to back into a campsite, if it's not a pull-through? If there are any tips or advice that can be given, my ears are open. We will be traveling from B.C. through Alberta to Ontario in the fall. Anyone know of good campsites along the way? Thanks.

jimtoo

Hi LeeM,
Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. I'm sure you will enjoy your new 3055 Bighorn.
Can't give you any info about traveling it that part of the country, but if you had a trailer before, you will not have any problems backing the 5er.
Jim

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
It actually will be easier to back up than the TT, once you get the hang of it. Because part of the trailer overhangs the bed of the truck, it puts your truck's drive wheels closer to the trailer wheels, which means you usually need less turning space.

My best advice is to try and back into a site on the driver's side whenever possible. Being able to turn around and watch the rear tire of the trailer helps immensely in knowing when to cut the wheel, and when to "follow" the trailer with the truck. This way you can actually watch the progress of the rear of the trailer into the spot and react much quicker.

Always be sure to have someone watch the passenger side for any obstructions...works well for me...and I'm a female!;) LOL

Good luck and great camping with your new rig!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Welcome To The Heartland Family

LeeM, good sage advise. However, make sure you tell the person guiding you in (standing at the rear of the coach), "IF YOU CANT SEE MY FACE IN THE MIRROR I CANT SEE YOU.) My personal preference is using the mirrors. If you turn your head to watch the trailer, most of the time you turn the wheels the wrong way. Remember, towing a 5er is driving a semi-truck, Wide sweeping turns, just watch a truckers make tight turns and then you will understand. Also, when backing up, the 5er will not react as quick as a TT. My nickels worth. BOB:D:D:eek:

TXBobcat

Fulltime
My wife and I took Dick Reeds RV driving class. I have backed hay trailers for years.

When I took the class the instructor told me that I was trying to back to fast. I have to go a lot slower. DW did very well. He told us if she drove and I instructed her were to back we should do real well. DW is good.

The intresting thing I found was that I need to pull up in the middle of the road, past the area I want to park so that my trailer bumper is beyon the site. When backing, start the turn as soon as the trailer bumper is at the edge of the site. Turn the steering all the way to the right. Continue backing until the trailer is about at a 45* angle then turn the steering wheel all the way to the left. When the trailer gets close to being straight in the site you begin to come around follow the trailer and staighten the wheel. If you go slow you can make steering corrections as much as needed.

I find it works pretty well. Another thing you can do is take the course at a Life On Wheels (LOW) conference..
http://www.lifeonwheels.com/
or
http://www.rvschool.com/

Freckles

Founding New York Chapter Leader-Retired
LeeM , Backing up in the dark is a pain ,the back up lights from the truck shine back at you much more than any TT and you can't see a thing!! 2 way radios saved Us as long as the wife and you got down who's left and who's right!!! Work great in the day time also!!

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
We tried the "if you can't see me in the mirrors, I can't see you" trick. Works in theory. lol We have walkie talkies. Haven't used them yet, but it has to be better than the yelling matches we used to have. lol And yes, there will be yelling matches. lmao
Fred & Elizabeth

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
Do not forget to look up and check your site and area for tree branches, etc. Best of luck with your new Horn.

caddojay

Tired and Retired member
Yahoo! Another Canadian traveler. We really enjoy Canada and I know you'll be satisfied with your new unit. The Banff National parks are very nice. Two jacks Park has a fantastic view of Banff mountain. The drawback is you must be at the gate to sign up for a spot when you arrive. No early reservations. The 3005 will just barely clear their length limits, unless they've changed. Have a great time. Be sure to make Lake Louise and canoe the lake. If you have a chance to go to the Banff Hotel for lunch, it's great, as well.

LeeM

HappyCamper
Thanks to all for the words of wisdom.......lol. I'll the the big guy know. Can't wait to hit the road next month.

gdog

gdog
good day
just purchased our 3055 a couple weeks ago and bought it through a mountain pass and it pulls like a dream. we have pulled a 24' fifth wheel since 89 and I have to say that this trailer pulls just as nice. we are using a duramax for the truck. what a pleasure it is to have the torque of the diesel.
gdog