Yakima or Thule bike rack questions

Johnm

I wanna go camping - NOW
I need your opinions!<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

My truck is a 2002 Crew cab and I tow a 5th wheel RV. I need to carry two adult bikes, one child bike and one tricycle. This question is regarding the two adult bikes ONLY.

I don't want to hang them off the front of the truck or the rear of the RV for a variety of reasons. That leaves me with the roof (no factory roof rack).

I will probably be loading and unloading the bikes by myself and I'm looking for your opinions as to what you have and how easy it is to load/unload and lock/unlock your bikes ... by yourself. I think I want to keep both wheels on the bike, since it seems like it would make it easier. But I really don't know.

Any thoughts???<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p
Thanks,<O:p</O:p

davebennington

Johnm,

There has been several ideas on mounting a bike rack entered on the forum. If you do a search on bike racks I think you will get a few ideas. For us the best option was the Trailair hitch mount.

Dave

caokgafamily

Before I installed a rear reciever on my BH 3400 I use to stow my bikes on our bed inside the 5th wheel. I also use to put them in our front storage. I never had remove the wheels just turn the handle bars 90 d.

Johnm

I wanna go camping - NOW
Thanks for the replies so far.

I guess I should have said that I will eventually be carrying all 4 bikes on the roof when the kids get bigger. I know I was thinking this when I typed the question ... couldn't you all read my mind? :rolleyes:

flyfishing48

On our present 5er... our regular cross bikes go on a pull out tray on the back of the 5er. Our more expensive road bikes go inside, one on each side of the bed. When we get to the campground they get cabled to the landing gear. Not sure what we will do come next week when we switch to the new Sundance.
I felt as though the roof of the truck is a pretty high reach, besides the kayak is already taking up that spot!

dtomlinson

I have a Yakima roof rack on my Chev 2500HD with the King Cobra bike racks on it. It is a good setup, but is "way up there" to load. I use a heavy duty 2 step stool from WalMart that I store in back of pickup for getting the bikes up there. I have a Honda generator on back, so roof was about my best option. See attached photos.

Attachments

• Yakima Roof rack.jpg
    Yakima Roof rack.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 57
  • My setup.jpg
    My setup.jpg
    315.8 KB · Views: 39
  • My setup2.jpg
    My setup2.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 41

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
I saw a rack that bolts to the king pin housing and the bikes sit in front of the front cap. I might have it in my favs somewhere, will look for it and post the link if I can find it somewhere.
Fred

Johnm

I wanna go camping - NOW
dtomlinson,

The Yakima King Cobra is the set up I'm really looking at. I like the way it looks and it sounds like it might fit what I need as well.

Thanks,

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Johnm,
Take a look at my pics and see what you think. This is a very sturdy receiver.

//heartlandowners.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=8899

Mark

davebennington

Johnm,

I found the post with the pictures of my bike rack.
www.heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=2110&highlight=bike+rack

Hope this helps and gives you some new ideas.

Dave