GPS Campground/RV POI's

Fordsd250

I have a Garmin Street Pilot 330 and it did not have any POI's for campgrounds. Did some checking and found a web site called www.poi-factory.com . I have down loaded a bunch of poi's for free. Great web site for gps stuff. Hope this helps.:)

sislv

Tom & Sharol
GPS & POI's

I'm in the process of buying a GPS and was quite disappointed that the preloaded POI's didn't have very many Campgrpounds so I started Looking around and found the following sites for downloading (at a charge) POI'S. Does anybody have any others?....../Doug

www.coolrvtoyz.com/content/ultimate-rv-parks-campgrounds-directory

www.gps-poi-us.com/gocampingamerica.html

Hi Doug & Lynne:

What make and model GPS are you looking at ? I did quite a bit of research a year ago and bought the Garmin Nuvi 750. We are well satisfied with the POI library it has, and the ease of finding a campground nearby while enroute. So far we haven't needed more POI's. We took a trip last summer west on US-2 to Glacier National Park, Yellowstone NP, Devils Monument, Black Hills/Mt. Rushmore, The Badlands, and The Corn Palace and easily found whatever we needed. Usually we would find a nearby Campground with the GPS then look up more info in one of our Campground Directories.

Have a great summer....

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
Tom, I'm also looking at the 750. Played a bit with one today and it only listed 1 campground around Calgary and we have half a dozen or more so I'm a little leary. Tons of hotels though. Maybe Garmin concentrates more on US POIs.

The site mentioned in the other reply has a downloadable list of Good Sam, I suspect it is the Trailer Life list but not sure.

Are you guys home yet?.../Doug

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I have Tom-Tom. It is really a little too user friendly for me. Cant seem to get into it as deeply as the Garmin. Ton's of campgrounds in it...but, a lot that aren't. OF COURSE, guess which ones aren't in it...the ones I use.

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
I have a Garmin Street Pilot 330 and it did not have any POI's for campgrounds. Did some checking and found a web site called www.poi-factory.com . I have down loaded a bunch of poi's for free. Great web site for gps stuff. Hope this helps.:)

I like the site, downloaded a bunch of stuff.
Thanks, Bill

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Calgary CGs

Played a bit with one today and it only listed 1 campground around Calgary and we have half a dozen or more so I'm a little leary. Tons of hotels though. Maybe Garmin concentrates more on US POIs.

MS Streets & Trips shows @ 30 CGs within 50 miles of Calgary. Don't know if you keep a laptop in reach. I'm sorry, for you guys north of the border, that's @ 80.6 km! ;)

sislv

Tom & Sharol
Campgrounds

Tom, I'm also looking at the 750. Played a bit with one today and it only listed 1 campground around Calgary and we have half a dozen or more so I'm a little leary. Tons of hotels though. Maybe Garmin concentrates more on US POIs.

The site mentioned in the other reply has a downloadable list of Good Sam, I suspect it is the Trailer Life list but not sure.

Are you guys home yet?.../Doug

Hi Doug & Lynne.......

We didn't get to go south this past winter, and now with the high prices of diesel, we're not sure we'll be going anywhere this summer.

I checked my nuvi 750 for campgrounds around Calgary and at first didn't find any under "Lodging" POI's. :( Then I searched using "Campground" and found four listed within 20 miles of Calgary. :) They were Calaway Park CG, River Bend CG, Calgary West KOA CG, and Bow Riversedge CG. Then it listed four within 106 miles, and then five within 146 miles. I haven't learned all the features of the 750 yet, but we are pleased with the ease of using it.

There is POI Loader software available free to help install additional POI's for Garmin. Here's more info: http://www8.garmin.com/products/poiloader/

I just downloaded and installed a firmware update for the 750 and also an update to the Mapsource program yesterday. Very easy to do using "Webupdater" software that you download and install on your computer.

Cheers.........