What our RAM 3500 ad BH3750FL weighed

AAdams

So, we went to a CAT scale for the first time with the new truck. After we got the weights I am wondering how I can put a generator and W/D in the unit. Since it is only rated for 16k, I don't think we will be able to.

Here are the numbers.

Truck only Full of Fuel and DEF

Steer Axle 5560
Drive Axle 4160
GVW 9720
GVWR 14000

RAM 3500 Laramie 4x4 CC DRW and BH3750FL ( BH had propane but all other tanks were empty )

Steer Axle 5560
Drive Axle 7040
Trailer Axles 13520
CGVW 26120

PIN 17.5% 2880
Trailer Weight 16400

So we are over on the trailer by 400 lbs
We are over on the truck plates by 120 lbs

Guess we need to lighten the load a little.

GWRam

So, we went to a CAT scale for the first time with the new truck. After we got the weights I am wondering how I can put a generator and W/D in the unit. Since it is only rated for 16k, I don't think we will be able to.

Here are the numbers.

Truck only Full of Fuel and DEF

Steer Axle 5560
Drive Axle 4160
GVW 9720
GVWR 14000

RAM 3500 Laramie 4x4 CC DRW and BH3750FL ( BH had propane but all other tanks were empty )

Steer Axle 5560
Drive Axle 7040
Trailer Axles 13520
CGVW 26120

PIN 17.5% 2880
Trailer Weight 16400

Guess we need to lighten the load a little.

Congratulations on your new Bighorn!
I was surprised by your truck weights. Laramie must have some heavy options our 3500 BigHorn 4x4 doesn't. Just ran our 2015 RAM 3500 Mega CC DRW over the CAT scales. Truck loaded for Goshen. Two people, full fuel and def, One row of firewood across bed of truck, 20lb propane tank, extra 2.5gal box of DEF and Yeti65 full of drinks and ice.
Steer Axle 5220
Drive Axle 4380
GVW 9600
GVWR 14000

I weighed the truck the day we bought it. Two people full fuel/Def with empty truck no hitch.
Steer Axle 5180
Drive Axle 3700
GVW 8800
GVWR 14000

So I figure 800Lbs of firewood, propane, DEF, and ice cold beverages. Also Curt Q24 hitch and added running boards are part of the new weight.

Going to have the truck/trailer weighed in Goshen, I'll see what numbers they show for us there.

Not sure what do you mean by over the truck plates by 120lbs?

sengli

I am shocked the weight of the truck is 9700lbs by itself. I also have a laramie package on ours. I had a LTZ silverado 3500 duramax equipped dually, before this RAM. I was told it only weighed like 8600lbs.

DW_Gray

I am shocked the weight of the truck is 9700lbs by itself. I also have a laramie package on ours. I had a LTZ silverado 3500 duramax equipped dually, before this RAM. I was told it only weighed like 8600lbs.

I'm not shocked by the truck's weight. This points to what I wish more buyers would realize. All the published tow ratings are based on the base model of whatever style is selected. By the time anyone buys a vehicle, the vehicle weight will be heavier than the published curb weight which the tow ratings are based on. One should never trust the manufacturer's published tow ratings. As the weight is added to the base model, the towing capacity decreases.

Therefore, when the manufacturer says a vehicle can tow up to 27,300 pounds or whatever, that's before all the extra options, passengers, cargo and any other add-on equipment that is installed to make it tow ready. The tow ready weight of the vehicle is very important in calculating realistic towing capacity.

Bones

I'm not shocked by the truck's weight. This points to what I wish more buyers would realize. All the published tow ratings are based on the base model of whatever style is selected. By the time anyone buys a vehicle, the vehicle weight will be heavier than the published curb weight which the tow ratings are based on. One should never trust the manufacturer's published tow ratings. As the weight is added to the base model, the towing capacity decreases.

Therefore, when the manufacturer says a vehicle can tow up to 27,300 pounds or whatever, that's before all the extra options, passengers, cargo and any other add-on equipment that is installed to make it tow ready. The tow ready weight of the vehicle is very important in calculating realistic towing capacity.

I'm sure it has been said but none of them actually give you the true curb weights and capacities and they should be required to when you spec out a truck or a camper. The campers should fall under the same rules.

AAdams

I should have said that the weight was with me and my DW, the TS3 hitch and adapter, and a small truck box. The TS3 and adapter is close to 400# by it's self.

Bohemian

http://www.ramforumz.com/showpost.php?p=1589736&postcount=1

That is one of the things I liked about the Ram. The individual model and trim level specs were available (in pdf form, not on the web s a page). It was not trivial to find, but it is available. Not so Ford or GM. Options will still add weight, but this is much closer.

SilverRhino

All of the above posts mimic discussions we had when we decided to replace our '01 Ram. Weight issues definitely contributed to our decision to go with a MDT.

Bones

All of the above posts mimic discussions we had when we decided to replace our '01 Ram. Weight issues definitely contributed to our decision to go with a MDT.
I really do like the Freightliner 4 door especially with a golf cart option ramp.

Georgia_Biker

This is an interesting thread-
Deep down I don't know if I really do want to know what my rig weighs - it's scary. We just upgraded to a BH3875FB with Onan generator moved over from my trade in. We have a New 2015 Dodge Laramie Limited 4 x 4 with 6' 4" bed, Ramboxes, and a Reese 26K 5th wheel hitch.
The truck pulling performance and stability is way past what I anticipated! This is our second Big Horn and I feel we did all of our learning on the first one. Previously I had a similarly equipped Dodge 2500
I am going to add some helper springs to the truck and I think I a good.

I really do not want to get into a "Tractor Style" tow truck.

scottyb

Steer Axle 5560
Drive Axle 7040
Trailer Axles 13520
CGVW 26120

PIN 17.5% 2880
Trailer Weight 16400

Looks to me like he is over the weight he registered the truck for but well within the truck's GVWR.

MCTalley

Couple of things struck me.

1. The truck's weight. Our F350 crew cab dually, with a half tank of fuel, two passengers, three totes in the bed with tools and other heavy objects and our fifth wheel hitch weighed 8700 lb. (as weighed at the rally). (Admittedly, we don't have a 4x4, which saves 400 lb. of weight for Fords, at least).
2. The pin weight impresses me. We have the front bath Big Country and our pin weight was just a shade over 4000 lb. No generator, no washer/dryer. One thing I have noticed, though, is that the axles are fairly far back on the FB models.

When weighed, we had gray tanks that were half full and a water tank that was at least 1/3 full (probably a 500-600 lb. load of dead weight). Since being weighed, I moved all the heavy tools and things from the front storage area of the trailer into the totes in the back of our truck. Our gross trailer weight before those changes was just over 17k (on a 16k GVWR). We should be much closer to 16k now.