Tow Vehicle Being Used for North Trail 22FBS?

Looking for what you all are using to tow your 22FBS and your experiences. Looking like we're going to have to move up from a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Ecodiesel. Has the power but not the wheel base. Something, as newbies, we didn't realize had to be figured in. And wondering about your choice of hitch system and how it all figured into the equation.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We went from a Toyota 4Runner to a Toyota Tundra, which was a perfect tow vehicle for our 21fbs, very similar to your 22fbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zombiejeep

We also use a full size pick up to pull our 21 FBS, which is just a bit smaller than the 22FBS. We don't even know it's back there most of the time. I use a e2 round bar hitch by Fastway.

justafordguy

Yep, you will need a full size truck with a V8 and you should be good to go. I had very good performance from my Equalizer WDH back when I had a DS31 Pioneer, It was 9200lbs loaded and towed very well with the Equalizer hitch.

d_fergie

Nah, one at a time... ;) even my old '79 GMC 4x4 (had since new) would handle if it had a brake controller...

Manzan

My Suburban works great. 6L engine, 373 rear end. Reese dual cam sway control that I have used on three trailers over the last 25 years. This is a very stabile setup and have pulled in some big winds with no problems at all.

Weatherl

I just bought a 2015 f150 with the 2.7 Ecobost and pulled my 22fbs over the passes coming from Denver to Grand Jct Co. I could not be happier it pulled those passes at 65 mph with no problem. The manual set up in the 6 speed transmision worked great going down the pass also. The trailer was loaded for camping too.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Nice trailer . . . you are going to love it!

Think about joining the Heartland Owner's Club (free for the first year) . . . we all have a blast at the rallies and campouts!

'Lil Guy'

Good thing about the NT is the wide trax wheel spacing. With a good WDH and fsway bar, it will pull like a dream with a 1/2 ton truck. We used a 2012 Ram 1500 hemi. The only problem was in the mountains and heavy hills. Lot of high RPM downshifting to maintain speed. On flat land there wasn't any issues. Our truck was a 4X4 SWB and it worked great. You don't need the LWB in a 1/2 Ton truck for that TT. Just make sure you have a good trailer brake controller in your TV.

Nice trailer . . . you are going to love it!

Think about joining the Heartland Owner's Club (free for the first year) . . . we all have a blast at the rallies and campouts!

Just filled out the form! Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Good thing about the NT is the wide trax wheel spacing. With a good WDH and fsway bar, it will pull like a dream with a 1/2 ton truck. We used a 2012 Ram 1500 hemi. The only problem was in the mountains and heavy hills. Lot of high RPM downshifting to maintain speed. On flat land there wasn't any issues. Our truck was a 4X4 SWB and it worked great. You don't need the LWB in a 1/2 Ton truck for that TT. Just make sure you have a good trailer brake controller in your TV.

We have a brand new Toyota Tundra now and the Blue Ox system and now all systems are GO!

We're towing a 2013 22FBS with a 2014 Mercedes GL350 and Reece Dual Cam WDH. The MPG is good (about 15 towing) but I'm not happy with stability - lots of fishtailing. In fact I'm not happy with the suspension even when not towing - lots of wiggling, overly soft steering and hydroplaning on wet pavement (with brand new Michelin Premiums!). Have appointment with the dealer tomorrow to check the suspension. I think some of my fishtailing may be due to weight distribution on the trailer. I have extended the bumper and have mounted the spare tire, bike rack & 2 bikes and 4 Rubbermaid containers - totaling about 160 - 180 lbs. Am considering moving the spare to the front underneath compartment to take weight off the rear and put more weight on the tongue.

If the Mercedes people can't fix the suspension issues, I'm going to consider going to a truck (e.g., Ram 1500 Ecodiesel).

Any thoughts on any of the above would be appreciated.

DW_Gray

We're towing a 2013 22FBS with a 2014 Mercedes GL350 and Reece Dual Cam WDH. The MPG is good (about 15 towing) but I'm not happy with stability - lots of fishtailing. In fact I'm not happy with the suspension even when not towing - lots of wiggling, overly soft steering and hydroplaning on wet pavement (with brand new Michelin Premiums!). Have appointment with the dealer tomorrow to check the suspension. I think some of my fishtailing may be due to weight distribution on the trailer. I have extended the bumper and have mounted the spare tire, bike rack & 2 bikes and 4 Rubbermaid containers - totaling about 160 - 180 lbs. Am considering moving the spare to the front underneath compartment to take weight off the rear and put more weight on the tongue.

If the Mercedes people can't fix the suspension issues, I'm going to consider going to a truck (e.g., Ram 1500 Ecodiesel).

I don't know for sure, but I suspect that trailer may be too much for your car. First, I suggest you weigh your car fully loaded as if you're ready to tow. Second, get your car's GVWR and GCWR numbers. Lastly, use RV Tow Check (RVTC) to learn the realistic vehicle towing capacity. You trailer's GVWR should not exceed the RVTC rating.

Also, your car's 121.1 inch wheelbase is on the short side for towing a 29'+ trailer. You would need a top-of-the-line weight distribution and anti-sway system to control it. But if you're exceeding the car's ratings, then you'll need a bigger tow vehicle.

You don't end up like Scott and Heather.

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked up the vehicle max weights and loaded into the web site suggested and we are well under the limits. Also, this TV has a 7" longer wheelbase than our previous TV (Porsche Cayenne) which towed the 22FBS well. I suspect my problem is load balancing on the trailer, which I plan to correct. However I am concerned that the max tongue rating on the TV is only 600 lbs which limits how much I can move forward. Thanks again for the suggestion.

GOTTOYS

I doubt there is anything wrong with your suspension. A part of your problem is all the weight you added to the rear of the trailer. Sway and fishtailing is often caused by too little tongue weight. Try towing it without all the stuff on rear and see if it doesn't handle better....Don

DW_Gray

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked up the vehicle max weights and loaded into the web site suggested and we are well under the limits. Also, this TV has a 7" longer wheelbase than our previous TV (Porsche Cayenne) which towed the 22FBS well. I suspect my problem is load balancing on the trailer, which I plan to correct. However I am concerned that the max tongue rating on the TV is only 600 lbs which limits how much I can move forward. Thanks again for the suggestion.

In that case, to get the best overall picture of your load condition, I recommend you follow the Four-step plan for conventional towing at Fifth Wheel St. You'll get a 13 point weight safety report that will tell you a lot about your set-up and show you where there may be problems.