Sleep Number Bed

J-W&E

We would like to hear if from anyone that has bought a sleep # bed. Our Grand Canyon has a King size bed and the Sleep Number bed is offered for RV's in only Queen. Has anyone modified their king platform to hold the queen sleep # mattress.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Are those sleep number beds really worth it? I had sleeping on a regular air mattress, even if it is 13 inches thick.

jbeletti

Hi Wilma,

I will let you know in a couple of weeks how they sleep in a trailer. I have one on order (72x80 king). If you do order one from CW, make sure to not order the 76x80 king unless you have that kind of width.

In terms of converting your king platform to a queen - it can be done. Search for the posts by member fivernine. He did an awesome job on his late model Landmark.

I suspect it there are a lot of similarities to your '05 LM GC. Although you'll have hydraulics to contend with where fivernine had a chain drive from an electric motor to contend with.

This would not be a job for the average DIY'er. But if you have the skills, the time and the tools - go for it. Otherwise, hire someone who is willing to take their time to do the work.

Hey - I didn't see your Branson rally registration yet. Can I shame you into registering? It won't be the same without a few of our regulars missing :(

jpmorgan37

Christianson also did a king to queen modification on his Bighorn last year. It looked like a factory job when we saw it at the rally. His post is in the forum too.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We have the RV King 72X80 waiting for us at home. Camping World had it on sale for $1199. Our Heartland King was 70X80 but I think the extra 2" will squeeze in OK. We tried the queen at a select comfort sleep center and after having a king for so long we couldn't live with the queen. The camping world bed is the exact same bed as the select comfort 4000.

J-W&E

Thanks everbody for your help. We didn't know that Camping World sold them. I had checked with the Sleep Number Store. Jim does real with woodworking, so I should be able to talk him into the modifications.

Thanks again,

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
We have had a sleep number bed in the home for over 10 years, and we would not give it up. We had a TT and put 1 in there, too. We will be putting one in our Horn this May. DW said if I did not put one in she hoped I liked sleeping in the truck. The one for the campers is not wireless. Select Comfort said that was because of the unit not staying connected to power. The disconnect and reconnect would cause problems with the sleep number monitoring system. They are good beds, but $. There is a company called Verlo Mattress that also sells air beds. We are going to check them out, too. I do not know if Verlo is just in the WIf area. I will have to do a search. Good luck.

Niles

We've had a select comfort for quite a while now, I used to get up with a backache every morning, haven't had one since we got the bed. We will be putting one in the Bighorn for sure when the time comes for our fulltime adventure. Most expensive bed I ever bought, however worth every penny!!!

cmart

Well to each his own, we have the sleep number bed in the stick house and thats why my DW likes to camp so much, so she can get a good nights sleep on a real mattress. But so far, I'm still liking it.

sdgirl

Sleep # bed

We've had a sleep number for a little over a year now, in the house. The first weekend I slept on the King bed in our BC, I thought I was GOING TO DIE. I have two big items to buy for the BC, one is the Sleep Number bed and the other is a MOR-Ryde hitch. Hmmm,,, I think the bed is gonna win first place, cuz the other two times I've used the rig, I've slept on the queen AIR mattress.

Let us know how the 72 X 80 works for ya. I can't imagine 2 inches making that much difference, but...???

DennisZ

Dena

A 2" memory foam topper will help the bed LOTS, we've been using one since we got our BH and it does make a big difference.

Dennis