Is the battery charger a "smart" charger

teasac69

Does anyone know if the charger that comes in a BH typically a smart charger, meaning does it maintain the battery or just do simple charge? I know it needs to be exercised and conditioned to prevent sulfate in the plates but do I need to add one?

Garypowell

Probably the best thing is to look in your packet of information the booklet is probably in there. If not you can simply take down the basement wall and it is right there (well findable) to get model off of. And then look it up on line.

I know mine is smart enough that after 2 years my batteries are still chugging along. They were what was provided by dealer. I was just at the Rig today and they are still showing up 3 out of 4 lights good. The rig has been sitting for 2+ months. Starting to get ready for the next trip at the end of June.

I don't know if mine (standard with my unit) does any cycling. My last unit I had to buy an aftermarket replacement and they said it would do that but did not keep the rig long enough to experience the benefit.

scottyb

Does anyone know if the charger that comes in a BH typically a smart charger, meaning does it maintain the battery or just do simple charge? I know it needs to be exercised and conditioned to prevent sulfate in the plates but do I need to add one?

More than likely on your 2014, your converter has smart technology. Mine did on my 2013. Still need to check water level periodically.

pegmikef

Yep, it is a smart charger. I have the 2014 3010RE that was actually built in June 2013 so I assume it is the same charger. I initially checked the water every month or so and usually did not have to add water, so now I check them every three months or so and two weeks ago, I had to add about a cup of water to each battery to top them off. The only time my rig is not hooked up to shore power is when I am towing it or we are boondocking.